300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispatcher horror story

Female dispatcher, 24 years old, takes a 911 call re: an elderly female at an eye doctor's office having a heart attack. she dispatches EMS and police. Officer arrives and advises on the radio that this will be a DOA and he is following EMS to hospital. Dispatcher leaves on dinner break. Officer is doing report and notices that last name of deceased party is same as dispatcher's. Dispatcher returns to PD. Officer asks a few questions of dispatcher. Damn. Deceased lady is dispatcher's grand mother. Dispatcher falls to ground in shock and grief. Broke my heart to see this. I had to hug her, the father instinct took over. we deal with this sort of thing daily..this time it was personal.Poor girl dispatched the whole thing with no idea that it was her grandma on the recieving end.

At least you were there for her, Mack. I remember being at the hospital emergency room when they bought in a little 4 year old girl, killed in a car accident. A police officer walked in with her mother and when she found out her baby had died, she screamed and held on to the LEO and said, "Save my baby! Save my baby!"
    Nurses came out and got her but I noticed the LEO sit down in a chair with his head in his hands. No one was doing anything so I went over and knelt down in front of him and said,"You did all you could. Don't blame yourself." But he was in SO much emotional pain. Then some other LEO's arrived and I backed off to let them console him. It was really heart wrenching all around.
    It was wonderful you were there for this dispatcher. When she's over her shock. I'm sure she will thank you.

Comment

A couple of years ago, we had an off-duty deputy respond to an MVA rollover not far from his house. The 17 year old driver was DOA. She was also his step-daughter. [Frown]
      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
      -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Having previously lived in your jurisdiction Mack811, and unfortunately having to have LOFD, and SAFES save the life of a family member, I can say that I am damn glad that there was an LOPD officer there for me at that time. I am glad that the City of LO sees, and rememebrst hat seconds do count in medical emrgencies and that they dispatch an officer to all medical calls. Thanks for the job you guys do. I miss my home on Forest Ash. Keep up the great work!

Comment

Don't think that dispatcher will ever be the same again. I feel for her.
          American by Birth, Aggie By Choice, TEXAN by the grace of God...

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, what matters is the size of the fight in the dog."

Comment

A deputy in my home town was dispatched to a crash out on some rural road. The vehicle was traveling well above the speed limit and left the roadway on a curve, shearing off a telephone pole about 10 feet in the air. The driver was an obvious DOA; passenger's not much better. The deputy called in EMS, fire and backup to help deal with the situation. After everyone arrived and started working on the passenger, an EMT found the kid's ID. It turned out the kid was a good friend of the deputy's kid. In fact, the deputy knew the two planned on going out that night.

According to an EMT I know who was there, he said the realization hit the deputy like he'd been punched in the stomach. Sure enough, the driver was the deputy's son. The car was so demolished from the accident that the deputy didn't even recognize it.
            Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Sad story I dispatched for 2 years after a bad wreck I was in. You never think or look at the names of the complaints since there's so much going on. I feel for her.
              Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6643 users online. 363 members and 6280 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X