300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Issues

I work for an agency in the Okla City Metro area.

The problem i've noticed is that agencies in the area work on different radio frequencies.

OCPD and a group of agencies work on one
    OCSO and others work on a 2nd one
    OHP and a few agencies work off a 3rd one

Our units have 2 radios in the cars to monitor 2 of the 3 frequencies. We can't monitor the agencies that work off the 3rd frequency in our cars. Our dispatch does a good job of monitoring the radios but its frustrating when you are assisting another agency.

Is this a common problem in other states?

Its very common in California. My agency puts scanners in the cars so we can hear what's going on in adjoining jurisdictions.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I know your feelings. It's embarassing to be at an adress and have the city department show up next door to something you could have helped with.

Our County dispatches, as do 3 separate cities. All on separate channels. I'm not mentally stable enough to scan 6 channels.

Makes me even more schizophrenic.
      I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within.

Douglas MacArthur

Comment

Originally posted by OUsoonersFan
        I work for an agency in the Okla City Metro area.

The problem i've noticed is that agencies in the area work on different radio frequencies.

OCPD and a group of agencies work on one
        OCSO and others work on a 2nd one
        OHP and a few agencies work off a 3rd one

Our units have 2 radios in the cars to monitor 2 of the 3 frequencies. We can't monitor the agencies that work off the 3rd frequency in our cars. Our dispatch does a good job of monitoring the radios but its frustrating when you are assisting another agency.

Is this a common problem in other states?

Actually in your area a OCPD officer and a state trooper were killed becuase of this reason.Don't know if you reacall,but the PD was in pursuit of a vehicle and the Trooper was unaware of the pursuit because of the different freqs.The OCPD units chsed the bad guy into the Troopers into followed by a OCPD unit.All vehicle involved burned Killing the officer and trooper.
        FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigg Dogg
          Actually in your area a OCPD officer and a state trooper were killed becuase of this reason.Don't know if you reacall,but the PD was in pursuit of a vehicle and the Trooper was unaware of the pursuit because of the different freqs.The OCPD units chsed the bad guy into the Troopers into followed by a OCPD unit.All vehicle involved burned Killing the officer and trooper.
          I remember that and think of it everytime I drive down I 40. My instructor was one of the accident investigators who worked the accident. It was a really bad deal.

Comment

in our area we have many freqs.

county and our agency (we are small), and two other small agencies run on one, two local munic. each have thier own, plus state patrol freq, fire and medics freq, and a few others. This does not include tactical channels and LERN. All of these freqs are programmed in my radio, so I can choose from a list which ones I want to scan.

On my car radio I have the ability to choose which freqs I scan. I can scan one or more, all or none if I choose. I also have the ability to tell my dispatch that I am changing freqs so that I can talk to the agency that I am going to assist and also to thioer dispatch. This saves alot of headaches.
            amateurs practice till they get it right...professionals practice until we cant get it wrong.

Comment

Our SO and most of the suburban municipalities are one one radio system.

The city is on it's own (800 meg trunked).

The university, capitol, state patrol and four or five suburban departments have their own dispatches and radio channels.

In my squad I have one radio for the county (and my) dispatch, one for the city (borders us on 3 sides) and one for the university (borders us on 1 side). When something is happening on all three channels, it makes my head spin.

We have enough channels that we can speak directly to just about all departments directly. For multi-channel situations, our dispatch has the ability to patch multiple channels together.
              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

The area I live in just this past week went to a new $18 million digital encrypted 800 system. (A year late due to software problems in the walkie programming. ) Might turn out to be the greatest thing since high performance steel belted radials. Only time will tell.

The only problem I see is the Virginia State Police have been left out. Not left out so far as communicating directly with them, they have no desire to talk directly to them I suppose. But left out as far as hearing another officer call for help. If a city or county officer gets in a real tight jam and needs help fast, a trooper might only be a block to a 1/2 mile away. But the trooper won't be able to hear the call for assistance because the normal scanners used for years won't receive this 800 digital encrypted signal now.

The scanner, circled in red, is just about useless for the troopers in my area now.

Comment

Glad to see I ain't the only one using a classic siren box.
                  FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

The RCMP in the Province of Saskatchewan is transitioning to a new, digital, encrypted, trunked, 400 mhz-range radio system. We are sharing infrastructure with the Provincial electric and gas power companies. Full implementation is expected by September 2006.

We currently use a 150 mhz-range system that is trunked, unencrypted, analogue and over 30 years old, and which has been piggy-backed onto the Provincial phone company's 800 mhz radio system since 1998. The phone company is phasing out this 800 mhz system in about a year from now.

Most Municipal Police Services, Fire Departments and EMS in Saskatchewan have their own radio system, or are using the phone company's 800 mhz system. Weyburn PS, Weyburn FD and the local EMS all use the phone company's 800 mhz system, and because our system is piggy-backed onto the phone company's system, we can be "patched" into the WPS channel, or a local emergency channel that WPS, WFD and EMS share.

Our communication system techs have told me that the new 140 mhz-range system is like having 3 "boxes" in each repeater tower - 1 for the electric/gas power company's radio system, 1 for the RCMP and 1 for switching purposes. Other uses can come on-line with our system, but only if they add their own "box" in each tower they want to use.

Interoperability is critical these days - I hope for my Force's sake, and those of the other PS, FD, EMS and other LE Agencies, we will all get on-line with this new communication system. Hopefully other jurisdictions will also do this.
                    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                    "Smile" - no!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4219 users online. 267 members and 3952 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X