Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sunburned, hot and more than a little annoyed!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunburned, hot and more than a little annoyed!

By now I'm sure everyone has heard about our little mishap in Baltimore last week. A CSX train carrying hazmats derailed in a tunnel underneath downtown Baltimore and caught fire.

Due to it being in a tunnel the heat became intense causing water mains to break under the street and the fire burned untill the last car was removed early this morning. There were cars with lumber and paper that could not be reached and continued burning til they burned themselves out. Several cars that were able to be removed essentially disintegrated as they were being removed. Large sections of track melted.

All but two major east/west streets are closed along the length of the tunnel.(1.7 miles) Light Rail which runs over the tunnel above ground has been halted since this happened. Buses and commuters are taking major detours. The 15 minute drive across town now takes an hour.

There's talk that it could be six weeks until all is back to normal. Inspections on the tunnel will have to be made, streets torn out and replaced, utilities and wiring replaced etc.

Due to this "little" mishap I have been stuck directing traffic since Wednesday night. My vest is soaked by the time I get home and has to be peeled off. I am majorly sunburned and not enjoying the humidity at all. And I have it far better than the people that have to go into the tunnel.

Who in the h*** thought it would be a good idea to run hazmats under a major city? I mean this is common sense. If they can't be taken through tunnels that carry cars how can they be taken through any tunnels?

After talking with a few of the CSX employees I learned this is apparently legal since there is less a chance of an accident then if it were in traffic. Then again when something like this happens maybe that will change. There may be less a chance of an accident with trains in a tunnel but when they do, boy is it a disaster.
    In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Gee Metro, sorry to hear about all your troubles!!
    Hang in there!! Just keep visualizing ice and anything else that will help you keep cool!!

P.S. It was 116 degrees here with the humidex today and only getting worse!!!

Comment

Use that sunscreen, Metro!

Comment

Well.....things are looking up. Not long after I posted I went to check out the Sun and see what the latest is. Apparently things will be better tommorow as far as traffic goes. Most streets will be reopened.

I still have my doubts that the Light Raill will be running downtown any time soon.

If you're interested here is a link. www.sunspot.net/news/local/bal-trainfire.special

Comment

...handing you a Mike's Hard Lemonade...hope things are better today.
          "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

This post poses an interesting question that I've never asked but here goes.

If you've been out in the heat all day in your vest, sweating profusely. How do you clean it to prevent it from smelling. It's not like you can throw it in the washing machine....or can you?

Signed,
            Totally clueless
            Copper2be

Comment

Actually you can throw it in the washer, you just remove the panels and throw the carrier in the washer.

Comment

Originally posted by Copper2be:
                This post poses an interesting question that I've never asked but here goes.

If you've been out in the heat all day in your vest, sweating profusely. How do you clean it to prevent it from smelling. It's not like you can throw it in the washing machine....or can you?

Signed,
                Totally clueless
                I spray the panels with Vest Guard, which I suspect is nothing more than relabeled Febreeze; the carrier go into the washing machine.

Comment

Thanks, that was puzzling me almost as much as how do you take a crap with your duty belt on?
                  Copper2be

Comment

Thanks, that was puzzling me almost as much as how do you take a crap with your duty belt on?
                    ANSWER: You don't!! You have to take the keepers off, then take the belt off, and hope to hell you don't get a hot call while your pants are around your ankles. Of course, as the years go by you get pretty quick at putting the belt and keepers back on in a hurry. And whatever you do...DON'T take your gun out of the holster and put it on the back of the toilet tank. If you leave in a hurry, you'll leave it behind. Never happened to me, but did happen to more than one officer I know.

G.A.
                    No cops, know anarchy.

"He aint finna come all up in my house and act a fool and be gettin away with it cause I will go smooth off." -Movista

Comment

ROFLMAO!! C2B, that has got to be the one question that I always wanted to know the answer to , but didn't have the b***s to ask it.

GA, thanks for such a fine response. I would suspect another reason you wouldn't want to take the gun out is so that you don't accidentally discharge your weapon (the one in the leather) while sitting on the throne. Would hate to be the one caught with pants around the ankles in THAT situation. GA, can you tell us how you might call that one in if, God forbid, it ever happened?

Contrary to popular belief, knowledge is not power. Without wisdom, knowledge is useless.

Comment

LMAO....we're still trying to figure out who it was that shot a hole in the men's room stall at our office! Actually while we really do know who it was we aren't supposed to. Rank does have it's privelege. Especially when you're that high!

Comment

LMAO
                          [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3685 users online. 232 members and 3453 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X