Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is BEYOND insane....

http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/general.cgi?read=212579

Makes me glad I no longer live OR teach in Florida.

BTW...if this IDIOT was the principal at MY school, every one of my students would be 'cuffed' because of activities *I*, as a teacher, have had them do!

------------------
    HEARTS and MINDS
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

See my post under 40 reasons.

Comment

Stupidity is everywhere, shooter, not just Florida. What about the principal (I forget where) that suspended a child for goiving another child a lemon drop (ie:drugs)? Lots of over reaction today.

Comment

If that was my five year old child led away in handcuffs for drawing a picture of a gun, I would be knocking on doors, making phone calls, doing whatever I had to until some heads rolled.

------------------
        Nell

"People are like stained-glass windows, they sparkle and shine when the sun is out but when the darkness sets in
        their true beauty is revealed only if their light is from within."
        - Elizabeth Kubler Ross
        When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine yourself....

Comment

I'm so glad that such a thing would never happen in my country.

Kids draw pictures of guns, rapes, drugs and all types of rubbish from time to time in aussie schools. Stricter schools might suspend or expell for repeat offences, but the more liberal public schools (I hate to say it) treat it as freedom of expression and artistic exuberance.

Comment

Lots of good things happen in our country too, Rule. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Comment

I have a daughter in the 6th grade. First time they even THINK about putting handcuffs on her, they'd better be ready to wear them themselves- BETWEEN THEIR EARS!!!!!

What the fruit-and-fiber is next? Are they going to try and control their thoughts, so they don't even think about doing violent things? Give them lobotomies?

And then they allow military recruiters to come to school, to talk young people into joining the service? To have the possibility of having to go and burn women, kids, and houses?(ty Arlo Guthrie).

I think a certain principal needs to be handcuffed to the school flagpole for a few hours.

Better yet; I'll home school my daughter before I subject her to being educated by obvious birdbrains such as those. I sure as hell couldn't do any worse!
              Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

Where is this freaking insanity going to take us?

Oh wait a minute, I know what the problem is. That school has not been given enough money to solve the problems. Let's just throw some more money to that school and to that administration and all of our problems will be taken care of! NOT!!!!!!

What a shame that so damn many folks who are supposedly educating our youngsters have absolutely NOTHING in the way of common sense!

Shooter, you have my utmost respect my friend, but how the hell can you stand what is happening all around you? It is beyond me how they can get anyone to teach anymore with the administrators and school boards being the way they are!

Did anyone see the "Fleecing of America" the other night on the waste/embezzlement of funds by folks in the education system? I only caught a little bit of it as I was trying to do something else at the time.

------------------
                "I'm just a "senior teen-ager!"
                6P1 (retired)
                6P1 (retired)

Comment

Shooter, I would wager you're a wonderful teacher.

Thank you for helping my teenage friend and her school's mission statement. You're a gem.

Chris

Comment

DMS 525...they ARE trying to control kid's thoughts...as the link shows. This is why one of the first things I tell my students every year is NOT trust everything they hear...even from teachers. They need to research it and find out for themselves.
                    http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/general.cgi?read=212976

------------------
                    HEARTS and MINDS

[This message has been edited by shooter1201 (edited 05-14-2001).]
                    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."

Comment

Chris...you are most welcomed! It was my pleasure.

Don....sometimes you have to fight the 'system' from 'within'. I'm a 'rebel' by nature. This fact and my 'right-winged, anti-liberal, pro-independent thought' leanings keep me 'on the carpet' with the administrators....LOL

I've been teaching...or trying to...for 18 years. Every year I talk about quitting, but each new school year finds me right back in the classroom. As indicated, I'm too much of a rebel and 'threat' to ever hope of using my administrative degree.

Perhaps that is for the best. At least while I'm in the classroom, contacting hundreds of IMPRESSIONABLE minds every year, I have HOPE that SOME day, something I said or something 'we' discussed in class, will wake SOMEbody up.

------------------
                      HEARTS and MINDS

[This message has been edited by shooter1201 (edited 05-13-2001).]

Comment

You're a real inspiration to us all, Shooter Keep up the great work!

Well, I think this story is indicative of the fact that we need to make a significant shift in the philosophy and orientation of our school system.

I'm disappointed there is not more information available about the incident. All the article states is that there were some drawings of weapons, and also: "A threat....against students"

What type of threat? Did this boy make a threat against his classmates/ or are the drawings of weapons, considered "threats"

Children at risk for exhibiting violent behaviour usually have a history of emotional and behavioural problems. Children who show a persistent preoccupation with violent imagery and weapons- should be kept an eye on, but only if they are manifesting symptoms of other possible personality problems/ behavioural disturbances. Teachers, and students should be on the lookout for students exhibiting symptoms such as: bullying/ victimization, stealing, anger/ destructive behaviour, isolation, depression, abuse/ neglect. If this story is a case of simply hauling a kid up for drawing pictures of guns- then this is sheer insanity!

The article says the options, when a threat is made are either to: arrest the student, or take him to a hospital, under The Baker Act. Is there no school- based health center, where students who are at risk, can be evaluated and recieve ongoing treatment?

I also think a peer support program would be useful. Kids feel comfortable talking to other kids- and this type of program has shown postive results with bullying, peer isolation, and can serve as an early- warning system for identifying kids at risk.

[This message has been edited by blondie72 (edited 05-14-2001).]
                        [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

Blondie, unfortunately from what I've seen, and I could very well be wrong, most school based health care consists of a nurse or a nurse on call. Mostly without any psychiatric or counselling training.

------------------
                          Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]
                          Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

Now, when I was a young Sparky, I subscribed to the conventional teen wisdom that most school administrators were less than truely intelligent and on a serious power trip.

Then I grew up a little bit and realized that things were not that simple, and I subscribed to the more mature belief that administrators were underpaid in a tough job, and that their motivations were good.

Later, as a juvenile investigator, I had alot of opportunity to deal with school administrators.

I have since readopted my previous opinion.

From what I have seen, (acknowledged that school systems vary greatly from place to place), promotion into school adminstration seems to be based on the Peter Principle just as in a few Police Dept.'s I know.

Despite so-called "advanced" degrees and "experience" there is often an alarming lack of common sense or situational awareness. Many administrators treat thier schools as thier own little world. They actually see it as thiers...they own it...they control it...

I have seen administrators try to run kids off because they were a "headache". I have heard administrators lament that some kids are weird, or bring down test scores....basically good kids, but once the principle gets a bad taste in their mouth about them, you can hang it up.

Got myself in a crack more than a few times trying to stick up for a kid, trying to assure them some sort of due process, or fair treatment.

My kids will be going to private school. At least there, if I have a beef as a parent, they have to at least pretend to listen to me.

------------------
                            -Sparky
                            -Sparky

Comment

Sparky.....I tend to agree with your assessment of most school administrators.

The problem, as I see it, is that school administrators are expected to do 'something'....quickly. However, NOT having the necessary skills or understanding, they tend to let OTHERS do their 'thinking' for them, an d then 'adopt' whatever those 'talking heads' come up with, without researching it.

One of THE biggest problems in education today is the NEA. As originally envisioned, the NEA's goal/purpose was to create a better working atmosphere and benefits for teachers.

However, that goal became distorted in the 1970s with the influx of a small but very vocal group of 'liberals' in its leadership. It's gone downhill since that time. Now you have a small cadre of liberal 'educators' attempting to foster its agenda on the whole nation.

Perhaps all is not lost. For once, the ACLU has decided to get involved in something worthwhile, particularly the 1st Amendment infringment of students who wish to wear clothing displaying the Confederate flag.

All I can say is it's about time!

------------------
                              HEARTS and MINDS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4452 users online. 299 members and 4153 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X