300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isn't "Law Enforcement Officer" ...

You know, I just thought of something, and feel free to bash, flame, insult and harass me over it (you know, the usual), but isn't "Law Enforcement Officer" the PC term for "cop"?

Sorta like Custodial Engineer is PC for 'janitor'...

Waste management engineer is PC for 'garbage man'...

Domestic help is PC for 'maid'...

....and Educational facilitator is PC for 'school teacher, aka babysitter'?
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

"Cop" is an acronym for "Constable on Patrol". It has become more of a sneer by certain members of the public, used in a way to attempt to ridicule the beat patrol officer or uniformed general duty investigator.

In Canada, those persons that are sworn to uphold the laws and are granted the powers of arrest as well as being authorized to carry the necessary tools, and use them in such a way that deadly force may result, are called Peace Officers. A Peace Officer's duty to help keep and maintain the peace and order of the community.

Those Canadian Peace Officers that are employed by a Police Service are either Constables, Non-Commissioned Officers or Commissioned Officers. These women and men are first and foremost authorized and required to enforce the provisions of the Criminal Code, various other Federal Statutes, the Provincial Statutes of the Province in which they are employed, as well as certain Municipal By-Laws of the Municipality that employs them.
      #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
      Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
      RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
      Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
      "Smile" - no!

Comment

I don't think so. "Law Enforcement Officer" encompases many different types of occupations, while "cop" pretty much means police officers or sheriff's deputies.

For example, federal agents, conservation officers, coroners, and animal control officers are all law enforcement officers. They aren't what one would consider a "cop" though.

Pete, I thought the terms "cop" and "copper" were derived from the copper badges that early officers wore.

Comment

quote:
          I don't think so. "Law Enforcement Officer" encompases many different types of occupations, while "cop" pretty much means police officers or sheriff's deputies.
          I dunno, Pat, I don't think it matters who is kicking in a druggie's door, they're going to be shouting "COPS!" if it's the Sheriff's Deputies, or the FBI!

Comment

CiaJ has a point though. I've had many people who, during the course of a conversation, used the word "cop" and then immediately apologized. It was like they thought they had insulted me or something. I really don't find it insulting. Cop, whether derived from Constable on Patrol or the copper badges that used to be issued, is not a bad word in my dictionary!

Comment

If anyone kicks my door and yells "Cops!" I'll shoot.

I've never heard LEOs (State, Federal, Local) officially announce themselves as "Cops!"

Many do use "Police!" regardless of agency as it transcends many languages (Police, Policia, Polezei, etc.)

"Motor Vehicle License and Theft Enforcement!!!" or "Postal Inspectors!!!" just doesn't "carry" like "Police!"

"Cops" is usually what people OUTSIDE LE say when they see us behind them or at their door.
              People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

quote:
                they're going to be shouting "COPS!" if it's
                Dave, no, sorry, I meant that the druggies would be shouting, "oh ****, the COPS are here!" I doubt most criminals care to identify between local, state, and federal police

Comment

Many do use "Police!" regardless of agency as it transcends many languages (Police, Policia, Polezei, etc.)

Our SO did this for the same reason. It seems that there aren't as many words for the occupation as universal as "Police."

BTW, I was told that the word cop came from the buttons on the uniform being made of copper, not the badges. Of course, being that this country is so big and diverse, they all may be correct origins.
                  "But if it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul alive." from Henry V, by Wm. Shakespeare

Comment

'COP' also came from back in the days when the NYPD was first started. They're badges were made of copper, and in time, they became known as 'coppers', and then even further in time, simply 'cops'

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Deputy757:
                      CiaJ has a point though.

Yes, he certainly does. However, if he would wear a hat, or comb his hair differently it would not show as much!
                      (sorry Crazy, DE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!)

I've know a couple of officers that were insulted by being called "cops." Interestingly enough, neither one of them lasted too long in the business. My God, if your skin is that thin, you'd better go tune pianos for a living.

I've NEVER felt insulted by the word cop. Or pig for that matter. I've just considered the source from whence it came. [Wink]
                      6P1 (retired)

Comment

In the UK we use the term cop at work. We work in copshops, and to be copped by the police means to be caught or arrested.

Lobster.

Comment

The term "law Enforcement Officer", as was previously mentioned, is an all encompassing term used to describe those that have investigative and/or arrest authority. This includes not only the State, County and Municipal officers, but Park Rangers, DA investigators, inummerable Federal agaencies, and so on. As such, there are those that seem to think that by being called a "cop", they are being belittled ... in other words, being confused with just a lowly street officer. You find those with inflated egos in almost every profession. Here in Oklahoma, we are most commonly called "The Law", regardless as to agency of employment. Cop, Law, Fuzz, whatever ... they all refer to what is a noble and challenging profession. Also, any of those terms are far better than what I am sometimes called.

[ 12-27-2002, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: OkieNarc ]
                          Una Stamus

Comment

When I was growing up the word "cop" was generally considered insulting. I don't know why. I always thought the tone of voice or the words that went with it made a big difference.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by Sgt Lobster:
                              In the UK we use the term cop at work. We work in copshops, and to be copped by the police means to be caught or arrested.

Lobster.

I thought that was to be "nicked"!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3520 users online. 182 members and 3338 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X