300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's in a name?

Not sure if this link will work for everyone, but I thought it was interesting seeing the names of some of the cities here in the US with funny names.

Here in PA, there are towns named Beaver, Intercourse and one called Blue Ball. Now I wonder what was on the minds of the people who named those towns!

Have any good ones to share?
    http://houseandhome.aol.homestore.co...ce=a2anjtwt537

Katykakes,

I used to live near a town called Climax in Michigan but I still think Pa takes the name for having the funkiest names.......
    "Police work gives you the test first, then the lesson"-Senior Trooper Robert Dent Oregon SP

Comment

Gun Barrel City, Texas.

Comment

Hi Katey,

How about most boring name its almost funny......Weyburn, Saskatchewan

Comment

Punta Gorda, FL is my all-time favorite.

Comment

Hey katy...theres also a town called "Bird in Hand" in our state.....atleast there was, haven't checked on it lately. It was actually down near Intercourse

Honest...I wouldn't lie!!!
            Steve

Comment

There used to be a town in Michigan named Hell. I think they changed it because every year it would freeze over. I am not sure the reason, but that is as good as any.
              An axe can make any computer problem seem like hours of fun.

Comment

This will probably sound naughty, but Intercourse (the town) is really beautiful. I love being out in the Lancaster area and I highly recommend Amish country to anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to see it's beauty.

Steve, I've heard there's a town called Desire, PA and Panic, PA. Not sure about either. Guess I'll have to look into it.

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Comment

Kissimmee, Florida...near Disney World.

Comment

In WV, there's a small town called Summersville, where a dam is located. According to legend, the town used to be called Gad, and they changed it because Gad Dam didn't sound proper.

Comment

Right next to Dildo Newfoundland is Conception Bay and a little further down the road is cum-by-chance! It's true
                      Graeme

Comment

"Here in PA, there are towns named Beaver"

You just touched the tip Katey. PA is obsessed with Beaver......Beaver, Beaver Falls, Big Beaver Beavertown, Beaver Springs and Beaver Meadows.

Let's see, when I live in PA we also had Plumsock, Deer Lick, King of Prussia, Black Lick and Shickshinny.

Then I moved to FL, which has normal names like Two Egg, Howey-in-the-Hills (no hills around), a ritzy city called Boca Raton (which is Spanish for Rat's mouth), the aformentioned Punta Gorda (fat hill, again, no hills), Wewahitchka, Thonotossasa, Frostproof (where it does frost), Bagdad (I thought that was in Iraq), Opa-Locka, Pahokee and Loxahatchee.

Can you imagine announcing yourself as the Howey-in-the-Hills Police Dept.? Or Wewahitchka PD?

Comment

Not too long ago, there was a joke floating around that Bill Clinton was trying decide on a place to retire to after his time in the White House. He had narrowed it down to 2 cities in NC----Blowing Rock or Morehead City. Blowing Rock is actually a very beautiful place in the Blue Ridge Mountains--great bed & breakfasts in the area.
                          Contrary to popular belief, knowledge is not power. Without wisdom, knowledge is useless.

Comment

Where I grew up, I lived in a town called Berlin, New Jersey (yes, I have an accent, no I don't have big hair!).

The orginal name of the town was called Long-A-Coming and the history is pretty cool, at least to me, since I grew up there.

If you look at the link to Long-A-Coming's website, you'll see the name of the man who handles that dept. Ok ok, so I have a gutter mind today. So spank me why don't you?!

http://www.nextination.com/longacomi...cgi?Category=3

Nite, Where in PA did you live and how long ago?

WCall, that was just too funny! LMAO! Would be very fitting for our former Prez.

Comment

What ever happened to "Eat Here Get Gas"???
                              -Sparky

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4675 users online. 339 members and 4336 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X