300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about after hours work.

Does anyone know if Country Sheriff's Department officers can be hired by a private company to work part time (as security) after their usual hours? Would this vary by department? Who would I call to find out for sure? The local Sheriff's Department? Can officers from a neighboring county be used? My dh wants to hire some security for one of his apartments. Thanks.

More questions about this: What would be a reasonable amount to pay in this type of situation (if it is allowed)? I don't think armed security is needed, but it might be. I assume the problem is with druggies hanging around the place. Is there a pay difference with armed vs. unarmed? Would officers even do unarmed work? Can anyone just hire an armed guard in a situation like this? Or are there special prerequisites?

Comment

The answer to this is going to vary widely by department. In some cases, departments will not allow their officers to work outside jobs in law enforcement (or security, I suppose) due to liability concerns. If an officer is working "off-the-clock", and he injures someone in a fight or (God forbid) a shooting, who is going to be responsible for defending his actions? The company that hired him? Or the department that trained him? Here in WI, state troopers cannot work outside LE or security for this very reason.

Your best bet would be to call the department(s) and ask directly.

Answers to some of your other questions:

quote:
      What would be a reasonable amount to pay in this type of situation (if it is allowed)?

Officers that work for our department and pick up spots working security at the local university's football games get paid their standard hourly wage (about $17/hr). However, they're required to wear their uniforms and be armed. Another officer I know was hired by a woman going through a divorce who wanted someone present when she cleared her things out of her home. She paid the officer's overtime rate (about $25/hr).

quote:
      Is there a pay difference with armed vs. unarmed? Would officers even do unarmed work?

I would imagine there is a difference. In fact, I'd be surprised if you could get an officer to work unarmed. But again, it'll depend upon department policies and (I suppose) how badly the officer needs the money.

quote:
      Can anyone just hire an armed guard in a situation like this? Or are there special prerequisites?

This will depend upon your state laws and municipal ordinances. Call your local district attorney's office to find out what's allowed. Even if it's allowed, keep in mind that having armed guards without any training can be a HUGE liability concern. Sorry, did I say HUGE? I meant HUUUUUUGE!!!
      Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Some departments do prohibit officers from working off-duty jobs, but you should be able to find (as mentioned above) by contacting the department.

I would try to start with the department, within whose jurisdiction the job is. If they don't allow, then look elsewhere. You'll save some stirring up trouble between agencies that way.

Regarding pay scales, it depends on where you are. Some departments have mandatory minimums for off-duty work. Below is a gauge for what is the norm in my area:

Simple jobs, which just require officer presence such as sitting in his / her car at a construction site or after hours at a trade show, etc. = $18 - $20 per hour cash.

Jobs which require more, such as traffic direction, standing all shift, foot patrols or being out in the elements = $25 - $30 per hour cash.

I don't know of any officers (myself included) who will work in uniform (or plain clothes) without being armed, especially if you're asking them to confront some on-going drug problems.

Comment

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5359 users online. 305 members and 5054 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X