300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is that person???? MPD and LEOs

I had mentioned in another area that I had been diagnosed with PTSD and DID,and had to leave law enforcement. While it is not common it is something that one might run into.

Once in awhile you'll see a show on the topic, a Jim Carey movie did a poor job of making it into a comedy.I could have played it better , more realistically. You know, getting hauled into the Captains office with the words "You're not under arrest ....YET!" I began to see I had some sort of problem, when people would bring others around to "meet" me, people I supposedly had met before.

kateD

It must be very hard for you to talk about it and I sense from this and your other post that it was hard to leave law enforcement.

I have to admit I don't understand it completely but am more for hoping that you are coping and have the resources necessary to help you. Take care of yourself and know we are here!

------------------
    Treat every day as the most precious day you have!

Comment

I've changed careers once. So can you. The important thing to remember is, just don't stuff it. But obviously you're not stuffing it if you're writing about it.

If you want to "talk" about it or about anything, feel free to email me. Any time.

Chris

Comment

Thanks guys, that was '91, it's been 10 years now. I made a board recently of all the pics and awards and other stuff I had put away. I put it in a large frame and hung it in the laundry room. A bittersweet time, as all who have mourned a loss, it(the pain) fades with time.

I have made the descision to come here and I'm glad I did. I now teach at a local college, not full time but it keeps me up to date.

Kate

Comment

Kate-

email me please.

kheya
          My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it is gone.

Comment

I am dealing with a different form of PTSD....a fallout from my son getting so ill. I have to admit I'm not doing so well with it.

Comment

Mitzi,

I have been following your troubles on the board, it is hard to deal with. My DIL lost her baby 2 weeks ago, and my other DIL lost their baby a month ago. Losing two granbabies in a few months is hard.

We feel the loses of our children so hard if we are also dealing with our own long standing depression. I have read of your Mother,I am a product of Maternal depression also.

kate

Comment

Well, my son did not die but the whole experience did something to me. Seeing him like that and what he had to go through ripped my heart out. He now has minimal brain damage from it. It was a nightmare to me and I have not been able to put it completely behind me. After his surgery, he looked like Frankenstein. It was horrible and we forced ourselves to stay upbeat for him when we were dying inside.
                Many people tell me to put it behind me...but they haven't gone through this.
                I feel so bad for you, Katie, 2 grandbabies. How hard that must be. But, I do know that, even tho we grapple with all this, we do become stronger...somehow.

[This message has been edited by Mitzi (edited 05-12-2001).]

Comment

Mitzi,
                  I just want to tell you that you are not alone. Five years ago, my 15 year old son suffered a spontaneous cerebral haemorhhage. He nearly died. You could have ripped my heart out at the time. He was my youngest and was the closest to me. They operated on his brain, and yes, he did look like Frankenstein when we saw him after the operation. He spent four months in a brain rehabilitation unit. He has sustained major brain damage. He has lost some sight in both eyes, has short term memory loss, and suffers from fatigue. I could go on.

But the four months of visiting him every day whilst in hospital made me understand one thing. He is alive. He has a future. He could have been far worse. AND I love him dearly.

I would change places with him in an instance if I could, but I cannot, and by being depressed about it only affects me. It doesn't help him in any way, so I try to buck up. I have worries. My greatest fear is if I died tomorrow. How would he care for himself? He will be able to care for himself somehow. That's the point.

Keep you chin up. Your son needs you to do that and so do you.

------------------
                  We are the Police! Resistance is Futile!
                  "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

Comment

Katie,
                    Please forgive my ignorance, but what is DID?

My deepest condolences to you and your family for the loss of your two grandchildren.

------------------
                    We are the Police! Resistance is Futile!
                    "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

Comment

Artie,

First thanks for you concern, it was the second pregancy loss for my oldest son and so soon after the second son's wife. The hardest thing is all the little baby things I have been setting aside, they love the "winnie the pooh" things.

DID is Dissociative Identity Disorder, it used to be called MPD(multiple personality ) or like the movie Sybil. Fairly rare, often misdiagnosed, poorly understood and a lot of fun to live with

I would be willing to speak with you offline if you'd like? I don't know the stats for OZ(isn't that Australia?).I develops very early in a childs life, perhaps at 5 or so.

Brave Kate ( I sound so English and proper???)

[This message has been edited by Katiedoc (edited 05-12-2001).]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3793 users online. 277 members and 3516 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X