300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsylvania Vehicle Registrations

Does anybody have any clue what the PA dept of motor vehicles is doing? I work in New York and I always see cars registered in PA and they all look suspicious. Some have windshield tags, some do not have windshield tags, some of the tags have holograms, some don't. Some have perm plates, others have temp (two different designed plates), some of the PA temps are just cardboard. Some plates have the little reg sticker on the top left, some don't. It's like no two cars registered in PA are alike. Alot of the times too when you run the plates they come back "no hit" and then you have to run the VIN to find out what's really going on with that vehicle. Are there any PA cops that can maybe shed some light on this situation. Thanks.

Interesting post and unfortunately I have to go to work in 5 minutes so this will be short.
    Every vehicle in PA has a rear plate only, when a car is newly registered it is given a plate AND a paper tag for the rear window. THAT displays that it is newly reg. and will take up to 3 months for the expiration sticker to be sent by PENNDOT which will then be affixed to the plate in any of the 4 corners.At that time the paper in the rear window SHOULD be tossed in the garbage. As far as cardboard 'plates'{ a peice of cardboard with the letters-numbers usually written in black marker } where there should be a real metal tag?? That is some ghetto way of saying "My tags were stolen" ANd I dont have the time to get to a notary to re-register the car. Illegal YES, a Priority for enforcement, NOT really.
    As far as ruinning the plate NCIC and it being clean and clear then the VIN? well thats a problem everywhere that someone decides to forge a VIN or plate not just PA. They would steal a car, take a tag from a GOOD car and put in place of the stoeln tags. If I run the plate and its good, there better be some other PC or indicator that the plate is on the wrong vehicle.
    SOund good so far???
    gotta go to work..
    E
    I got nothing for now

Comment

What about the window stickers? Some of the cars have them, some have one, some have none? Also, some have holograms, some don't. Whats the deal with those?

Comment

I guess you haven

Comment

You are probably referring to the PA inspection & emissions stickers. They'll be right next to each other in the far-left side of the windshield. In some parts of PA, they have annual exhaust emissions tests, but other places do not. If you reside where they do not require it, you will have a sticker with a month/year and "exempt" printed across the center.

But it is very nice to see cars with only a rear tag. Kind of looks less "cluttered" than vehicles here in VA.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch

You are probably referring to the PA inspection & emissions stickers. They'll be right next to each other in the far-left side of the windshield. In some parts of PA, they have annual exhaust emissions tests, but other places do not. If you reside where they do not require it, you will have a sticker with a month/year and "exempt" printed across the center.

But it is very nice to see cars with only a rear tag. Kind of looks less "cluttered" than vehicles here in VA.

Thanks for the proper answer. I just got home from work and needed to check something out, gotta get up early for court.
            Jose, VA is just about 100% correct. Only possible difference is if you live in an exempy county, you might not even have the EXEMPT sticker. Than again, I work in a NOT exempt County so all cars must have two. Well again the county north of me is EXEMPT but might be changing to NON exempt{ } due to some population growth. They still have 1 sticker.
            I kinda wish we had front tags, makes it easier to spot a PA registered car before it passes me at 50mph. Then again.

Nah jokes over.
            I got nothing for now

Comment

PA Stickers

Oh, I almost forgot to mention it. Trucks in PA, from pickup trucks used for hauling the family dog & on up to big rigs, also have a sticker with their weight class stamped on it. The weight class sticker will be located next to the inspection sticker (and the emission sticker if required).

But hey, it is still better than having to put on a front license plate!

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

Comment

Only pick up trucks of a certain wieght class will have the weight class sticker. I owned a Ford F-150 and it never had a sticker. My wife has a Nissan pick up truck and the only stickers are the inspection and emission stickers.
                Steve

Comment

You're correct about the pickup trucks. I think you need the weight sticker only if it is 3/4 ton or larger. I have seen a vending machine repair truck from PA (all the way down here in VA!) and noticed a weight class sticker on it. It was one of those F-350 Super Duty stake body trucks, probably a two-ton.

Next time I am in PA, I'll take a little extra effort to see some of those little stickers and look for a number (tons?) showing on them.

Comment

I gotta ask Jose, How many PA plates/cars you come in contact with down in Long Beach? I mean your not even close to PA, maybe some NYPD guys and some Obviously Jersey cops cause of the border but Long BEach?

ANd before you ask IF I know where it is, I do. My sister used to live on Broadway.
                    NOt bashing either, just keeping this one alive alittle more
                    I got nothing for now

Comment

Well, I used to work in NYC and then I got hired out in Long Beach. To answer your question I used to see ALOT of PA registered cars in the city, and I see more and more PA registered vehicles in Long Beach now. On a regular day (10 hour tour) I prob see a least a dozen. Its obvious they are doing it to get cheap insurance. In the city, auto-crimes told us that there were PA cars out there with "forged" window stickers ie: no holograms and when you peeled them off the windows they would rip into peices and wouldn't say "VOID" and they would collar for it - CPFI. I just find that no two PA cars that I come across are the same as far as stickers (1,2, or none/with/without holograms), different types of plates, and plate stickers.

Comment

The problem with PA is they try to update the system every few years so no one has a regular sticker. Iam surprised about the car insurance thing as most people out here in Pittsburgh area have OHIO registration just for that cheap insurance. One out of every 10 cars is reg. in Ohio, even more in the ghetto where I used to work. I saw 2 new plates today while working, one was for Westminster College, had a picture of some church steeple or some poop on it. The other was a CMU {Carnegie Mellon UNiversity} plate.
                        Nothing like NY though?? Rangers, Islanders, KNicks, Mets, Yankees, etc etc. et al....
                        FOr Pittsburgh to solve its budget poo poo, jsut get a STEELER plate with 90% proceeds going to the city...
                        I got nothing for now

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10858 users online. 435 members and 10423 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X