300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the nation's capitol

Living in the nation's capitol is a wonderful thing. Just a few minute ride into downtown where you can enjoy the museums and statues and etc. that remind us of our nation's past. The beauty of our nation's capitol allow each visitor to remind themselves that this country is truly what we make our nation to be....

However, living in the nation's capitol can be risky as well. Given the fact that the executive headquarter is in the nation's capitol, Washington D.C. could and would be a target for foul play.

In this tense time, as we prepare for war on Iraq, I think we need one less person to worsen the tense atmosphere, especially in the Washington Metropolitan Area.

With that said, just this:

Man Says He Has Explosives; Roads, Buildings Closed.

Police Talk With Man Through The Night.

WASHINGTON -- With a man in a tractor saying he has explosives, police have closed several downtown streets and some federal buildings this morning.

Constitution Avenue between 15th and 22nd streets in northwest Washington. And officials have closed a number of roads around Constitution Avenue. Police say north-south traffic is closed from 18th to 23rd Streets, Northwest, between Constitution Avenue and E Street. Eastbound E Street is open.

Some buildings near the standoff will also be closed today or restricted to pedestrian traffic only. Authorities say the National Academy of Science, the Federal Reserve Board and the South annex of the Department of Interior are closed.

Frustration is boiling over for some D.C.-area commuters trying to make their way downtown as a standoff continues with a man who drove a tractor into a pond on the National Mall.

Police have closed Constitution Avenue between 15th and 22nd streets streets. And officials have closed a number of roads around Constitution Avenue. Police say north-south traffic is closed from 18th to 23rd streets, Northwest, between Constitution Avenue and E Street. Eastbound E Street is open.

Some buildings near the standoff have been closed today or restricted to pedestrian traffic. Authorities say the National Academy of Science and the south annex of the Department of Interior are closed.

A spokeswoman with the Federal Reserve Board said that agency will try to hold scheduled meetings today, despite the standoff. Michelle Smith said special arrangements were made for essential personnel but all other employees were granted administrative leave.

The Department of State, the Department of Interior and the Office of Personnel Management are restricted to pedestrian traffic only.

One commuter said she spent 1
    "I pity da foo. Stop yo jibba jabba!!"

Although I grew up on a farm, I know practically nothing about agriculture so this is probably a stupid thought.

If there is no money in raising tobacco, can't they raise something practical that everybody needs - like fruit and vegetables? That's such an obvious idea there has to be something wrong with it.

PS. I don't smoke.

Comment

I totally agree with that. There are a lot of smokers out there and if they are health issues resulting in deadly consequences due to smoking tobacco, why not just ban smoking? or make it illegal?

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by Direct Kodi:
        why not just ban smoking? or make it illegal?

Tax revenue.
        Bill R

Comment

But it's plain stupid as to why people would smoke and sue the tobacco company claiming that it is "their" fault for the smoker's deterioetaing health. I PITY THE FOOL!

Comment

We were going to Washington in 2 weeks. but now, my husband won't go because of the impending war. He does not want to be too far away from our son.

Comment

How about one of you Washingtones plant a little orange orchard in your backyard and see how well it holds up under the 12 feet of snow?

The fact is that there is less and less money in any kind of farming. Where I live we've had the two closest cannerys close in the past five years. We have good ground for row crops (generally speaking, fruits and vegetables), but without a cannery to take the product to there is no point in growing it. My parents were lucky enough to find someone that was willing to rent their land for Christmas trees, and we're seeing more and more of that in the area. But not all ground is that fertile.

In most businesses there is always the option of going out of business. Commercial real estate has value. But when farmland can't be farmed, it's tough to sell. Farmers are either forced to pay property taxes on useless land or sell it at a huge loss (compared to what it was once worth) and retain whatever debt they have. Sad face.

None of this, of course, excuses trying to farm the Capitol Mall. But America does need to understand how hard it is to make a living farming.

Mike
              "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5861 users online. 311 members and 5550 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X