300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law enforcement agency

I've just taken the NYPD test on February 25. Im about to take the written test for the florida highway patrol in march or april in miami. I'm pretty sure I will be called for the NYPD. My question is if given the oppertunity to serve for either of these fine law enforcment agenices which one should I choose. I've lived in New York all my life. At the same time I wouldn't mind moving to Florida. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
    Integrity
    Fairness
    Service

*NOT A COP*

But I do know this, wait until stuff happens, you may or may not get a call from either of them. Then decide.

Comment

Originally posted by nypdsimmons
      I've just taken the NYPD test on February 25. Im about to take the written test for the florida highway patrol in march or april in miami. I'm pretty sure I will be called for the NYPD. My question is if given the oppertunity to serve for either of these fine law enforcment agenices which one should I choose. I've lived in New York all my life. At the same time I wouldn't mind moving to Florida. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

The last post is right, you only took the written exam, wait awhile before you force yourself to make a decision about New York or Florida. I'm not saying you won't get a job offer from both, but things will start to fall into place further along in the process.

Oh, by the way Florida.

Comment

I read an article in my POA paper stating that academy pay for NYPD recruit officers is pretty low. After a 15K pay cut, recruits are paid 25,000 while in the academy. Anybody from NYPD can confirm or deny that?

Comment

FHP all the way, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by 18C3V
            I read an article in my POA paper stating that academy pay for NYPD recruit officers is pretty low. After a 15K pay cut, recruits are paid 25,000 while in the academy. Anybody from NYPD can confirm or deny that?
            Not NYPD myself, but I also read an article about the low pay of NYPD recruits. The article actually stated that some MYPD rookies were making so little that they were eligible for food stamps. I was, personally, shocked.
            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

It is a no-brainer......Florida all the way (or "Florider" if you are from NY).

Here are just a few reasons:

1. Better weather.

2. More wide-open land and you can "get away from it all" with a short drive.

3. Less traffic.

4. Lower cost of living.

5. Lower taxes (especially no state income tax).

6. Better-looking women.

7. A take-home vehicle from most county agencies and the FHP.

8. Close proximity to Disney World.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

The NYPD is a great agency, but they get paid crap and get treated like crap by the mayor's office when it comes to contract negotiations. I believe there was just an article about how their recruits qualify for social services.

However, you will see things in the NYPD that you will not see in Florida. Everything type of law enforcement is available to you from regular street patrol, traffic, under cover, detective, special operations, narcotics, and so on, and so on. Good PBA and strong brotherhood throughout the tri-state area.

I cannot say anything good or bad about Florida because I do not know anything about them. Although they are great for drug interdiction.

Tough decision.

Good luck.

Sammy
                If I could keep one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I could ease one life the aching or cool one pain; or lift a fainting robin unto it's nest again, I shall not live in vain. Emily Dickinson
                www.samanthafund.com

Comment

If you have no family or ties to Florida who may have a hard time adjusting or "fitting in." If you have moved around the country, lived in different environments then you might be ok in Florida. You have to figure that part out. The grass is not always greener in other places. "There's no place like home."

Comment

Originally posted by nypdsimmons
                    The only way and I mean the only way I see it for you to survive being able to live in NYC working for NYPD is to either live with your parents or with about 3-5 roomates!!

However, are you willing to spend the money to go to Florida to process?
                    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

You will see everything on the NYPD but the atmosphere is rapidly declining and many cops are looking for "greener" pastures. I personally know many cops who are in the process of moving to other municipalities. Some laterals and others just starting over. The experiance is great but the pay and low morale will take a toll on you. Feb test? Ill bet dollars to donuts youll be looking at the july academy class. Just my .02 form someone whos there.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4272 users online. 270 members and 4002 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X