300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspects Have Rights Too

As in the "right" to try to stand on his own again, the "right" to try to talk without drooling, and the "right" to try to remember his name or the alphabet after I'd beat him repeatedly with a steel pipe over this, if it was my child.

Flight Attendant Accused of Spiking Child's Drink to Make Girl Stop Crying

DETROIT — Authorities charged a former Northwest Airlines flight attendant with assault for allegedly putting a prescription depressant in 19-month-old girl's apple juice to stop her crying during an international flight.

Daniel Reed Cunningham, 33, also was charged Thursday with distributing a controlled substance on the Aug. 25 flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

He is expected to appear in court next week for his arraignment.

The girl's mother, Beate Turner, told FBI special agent Terry Booth that Cunningham seemed upset when her daughter became restless and began squirming and crying on the flight. Cunningham offered to give the girl apple juice three times before Turner accepted, according to the agent's affidavit. The girl suffered no serious injury.

Turner later noticed the juice was bitter and foamy and had blue and white specks floating in it. Ten days after the flight, she took the juice to University Laboratories in Novi, which confirmed the presence of Xanax, a prescription medication used to treat panic attacks and anxiety, the FBI said.

The drug's side effects include lightheadedness, fatigue and drowsiness. The Federal Drug Administration hasn't approved it for children under age 18, the agency said.

Cunningham has denied drugging the child in statements to the FBI. His attorney, Neil Fink, declined comment.

Cunningham also has been charged with importing more than 100 tablets of a non-narcotic controlled substance into the United States on a different flight in October. The tablets included Xanax and Valium.

Northwest spokeswoman Mary Stanik said Cunningham was hired in 1998 and worked for the airline until last Dec. 30. She said she could not discuss his case.

[ 03-14-2003, 08:57 AM: Message edited by: SGT Dave ]
    People have more fun than anybody.

That's horrible!!! She's lucky the baby wasn't killed.
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Steven Wright

Comment

She's lucky the baby wasn't killed.

She's even luckier that it wasn't my child. They wouldn't be able to get me off her with a f-ing crowbar.

Comment

I could not have been as controlled as that mother was. I would have beat the h*** out of him as soon as I saw the apple juice. That child could have died and I gurarantee you, he was very lucky with this mother. Most parents would have beat the s*** out of him. I know I would have.

Comment

I think it was a "he".

"You people" are stereotyping
          People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

Unreal. We fly a lot (with all of our 10 children) and every flight has fussy children and crying babies on it (not mine of course ). If that stresses out a flight attendant they need to get another job.

Sadly, I also have met a lot of parents online who routinely dope up their own children with sudafed, etc, before airplane flights.

Personally, I've never felt any need to do that. I teach my kids to behave and be quiet on the plane. If I have a baby with me I nurse or bring a bottle myself. Still, babies are going to cry once in a while, and when I hear other babies cry I just ignor it. It won't kill me to listen to a little crying.

It does bother me when parents let their toddlers run wild on the plane. A toddler is old enough to learn to stay seated and reasonably well behaved.

[ 03-14-2003, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: celia ]

Comment

When our son was not quite 2, he screamed on the plane. But I knew it was bothering his ears. I grabbed a bottle and that seemed to help quite a bit. Never would I dope him up.

Comment

Their ears often bother them on take offs and landings. It helps if you can get them to swallow. That's why I'd pack a bottle.

Comment

Hi Mitzi! It's me T h a l i a, I had to change my name to keep some lunatics from harrassing me. How have you been?

Comment

Hi Thalia! I'm just fine...Hows the family? Is the 11th kiddle here yet?

Comment

I can certainly understand the urge to quiet an unruly child. Heck, I sometimes think of locking my child in the closet under the stairs ala "Harry Potter". However, there is a big step between thinking about it and actually doing it. Maybe the flight attendant was on so many illicit drugs that he wasn't responsible for his actions. Yes, I'm certain that must be it......or at least that his attorney will raise the issue of diminished capacity at some point in the court procedings.

Comment

quote:
                        I think it was a "he".

"You people" are stereotyping

I don't stereotype.

Oh well, all the guys are gay anyway right ?
                        There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Steven Wright

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by celia:
                          Unreal. We fly a lot (with all of our 10 children)

Do you ever have trouble getting seats together? What kind of car do you drive that holds 12? (Sorry, just being nosy...)
                          Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

What a spent brained moron... he could have killed the child!! I hope they slap him with some serious time because I'd like to slap him upside the head with a 9 iron!
                            " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

quote:
                              Do you ever have trouble getting seats together? What kind of car do you drive that holds 12? (Sorry, just being nosy...)
                              Yes, unless we arrive at the airport very early, they stick us in the very back of the plane between the toilets and the engines. Sometimes they will pull seats near the front for us if we call ahead - depends on who answers the phone.

We drive a 15 passenger van when we all have to do somewhere together. Or we divide up into a couple of mini vans.

[ 03-15-2003, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: celia ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5166 users online. 294 members and 4872 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X