300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Questions about COPS

1) Has anyone here been featured in an episode?

2) a: Does anyone know if they ever filmed episodes in Baltimore County or City? (My internet research attempts have been miserable failures on this topic ...)
    b: If so, might someone know how I can obtain a tape of it/them?

3) Does the show have to obtain permission from the assorted perps/witnesses/passer-byers/*******s/etc. before they can air certain segments?

"1) Has anyone here been featured in an episode?"

No. The COPS crew came knocking on our door many years ago (during the early years of the show) but the Chief turned down their request.

"2) a: Does anyone know if they ever filmed episodes in Baltimore County or City?"

To my knowledge they've never made an episode with any department in Maryland.

"3) Does the show have to obtain permission from the assorted perps/witnesses/passer-byers/*******s/etc. before they can air certain segments?

A recent court ruling said if the filming occurs within an area where a person has a "reasonable expectation of privacy" (such as a home or private office of a business), then yes the crew must have prior permission to air it, or else obliterate any identifying features (such as blurring the face, or bleeping out of the name should it be mentioned).

In California, as well as many other areas, a juvenile who is arrested for a crime may NOT be publicly identified in any way without prior court permission, another reason for the blurring of the faces.

Comment

You'd be suprised how many departments have turned them down!

Comment

They have filmed a few times down here but mainly want to come for Mardi Gras.
        Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

"A recent court ruling said if the filming occurs within an area where a person has a "reasonable expectation of privacy" (such as a home or private office of a business), then yes the crew must have prior permission to air it, or else obliterate any identifying features (such as blurring the face, or bleeping out of the name should it be mentioned)."

That was done prior to that court ruling. The ruling really only effected their entry into a premises. Anything that is publicly viewable is able to be filmed.

I've had their crews with me and been on scenes where they were with other officers. They carry a release form and have it signed by the bad guys and witnesses. If the segment is interesting to them and someone refuses, then they will blur the stuff.

Comment

I rember hearing awhile back that the producer got pulled over and charged with DUI enroute to film an episode. I think it was in Atlanta? Talk bout dumb

Comment

One of my police academy instructors had a couple of episodes on tape that he showed us.

They were unedited, so we got to see some of the stuff that gets cut and doesnt make it to the TV episode.

I thought it was better that way.

I have no idea how he got the episodes that way.

Comment

1) Has anyone here been featured in an episode?
                No. Like Joseph said, they only come down to Louisiana for Mardi Gras.

2) a: Does anyone know if they ever filmed episodes in Baltimore County or City? (My internet research attempts have been miserable failures on this topic ...)
                b: If so, might someone know how I can obtain a tape of it/them?
                I seem to remember that they went to Baltimore PD in the late 80's, or early 90's. Not sure how to get help with getting a tape though. Perhaps you could check their website.

3) Does the show have to obtain permission from the assorted perps/witnesses/passer-byers/*******s/etc. before they can air certain segments?
                Basic rule of thumb. If there is any reasonable expectation of privacy, then yes they have to have permission before they can air it. If it's something say a car chase or traffic stop, then it's in public so they can film.

[ 04-15-2002: Message edited by: cajuncop ]
                Attitude is a reflection of leadership.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I have seen an episode with Baltimore PD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4036 users online. 250 members and 3786 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X