300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Enhancers

Does anyone here take any performance enhancers such as Creatine or anything like it?
    LETS GO CAPS!!

LETS GO TERPS!!

I've never heard of Creatine. What kind of performance does it enhance?

Comment

156, are you being serious?????

Creatine is an over the counter muscle enhancer. It can be purchased at GNC for hefty price and other then that I have no idea what it does. I personally don
      LETS GO CAPS!!

LETS GO TERPS!!

Comment

Creatine monohydrate supplementation increases adenosine triphosphate (ATP) levels in the body. ATP, necessary for muscle cells to contract, is depleted rapidly when the muscles are under heavy load. When ATP is depleted, the muscles cannot sustain a maximal contraction. ATP replacement can be enhanced by taking creatine, an ATP precursor.

Now the simple version: Creatine supplementation allows one to lift heavy weights for more reps, which trains the muscles to be stronger (adaptation to work).

The reason people get bigger when taking creatine is due to a side effect. Creatine draws water into the muscle cells, swelling them. The supplement companies sometimes refer to this as "volumizing". Because the water drawn into the muscles is not available for other functions, cramping can result. When taking creatine, it is imperative to greatly increase water intake.

I have been using creatine for six years now, and haven't had any problems, once I learned to drink enough water.

I recommend creatine use when someone is no longer getting stronger or bigger and has exhausted their options, such as more protein intake or evaluating and adjusting their training program. It is definitely not necessary for teens.

Creatine is the real deal, unlike 99% of other supplements which promise "steroid-like" results. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Buy the cheapest creatine you can find, but check the label for its purity.

Don't waste your money on creatine products which provide small amounts of creatine and huge doses of sugar. I know there is research showing that creatine ingestion is improved with a blood sugar spike, but how do you deal with the resulting crash with the massive insulin release? One of the products supplies 75 grams of sugar with each dose. That's enough to keep a whole room full of 6-year olds spun for a week.

In short, creatine is good, but make sure your training is dialed in first (keep it simple, lift like your life depends on it) and eat every bite you can fit in your mouth.
        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Drew, I was being serious; I've never heard of it. After reading Ateamer's reply, though, I know I don't want to use it. I lift weights, but I do it the natural way......hard work, reps, and sweat. I'm a woman so I'm not looking to bulk up. I just want to stay toned and be strong.

Comment

Wow Ateamer!! I think you gave me more information then GNC did. I don't know if I am sure about taking it. I don
            LETS GO CAPS!!

LETS GO TERPS!!

Comment

I take Myoplex Light twice a day and dose of creatine after each workout. I just started the Creatine because I was at plateau with my bench press and wanted something to get me over the hump. I can already see a difference after 3 weeks, especially with recovery time.

The Myoplex is a good nutrition shake that helps you get all the nutrients, vitamins, protein, etc. that you need.

Personally, I like the EAS Product line.

Comment

No I
                LETS GO CAPS!!

LETS GO TERPS!!

Comment

Creatine does not show up in blood tests. It's not one of the drugs they screen for. Actually, it's not a drug at all. Creatine is produced naturally in the kidney, liver, and pancreas of humans. Creatine is also supplied in meat and fish. Most creatine in the body is stored in the muscles, in the form of phosphocreatine.

Like ateamer, I also take creatine and it also helps reduce the amount of recovery time for your muscles after a workout. In essence, if you did an exercise and would normally be sore afterwards, creatine will leave you feeling less sore or not sore at all.

[ 03-14-2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: Sgt. Slaughter ]
                  NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Ok now the next question, would you recommend taking it in the serum form or powder form?
                    LETS GO CAPS!!

LETS GO TERPS!!

Comment

I know I don't want to use it. I lift weights, but I do it the natural way......hard work, reps, and sweat.

It IS natural. It's a naturally occuring substance that you're already getting through red meats. All you're doing here is taking a more concentrated does, no different than taking a vitamin C tab instead of eating 4 oranges a day.

Further, creatine doesn't work without "hard work, reps and sweat"....... you still have to work out. It just helps you maximize your workouts, minimize your recovery time and maximize your gains.

If you don't want to use it, so be it, but please don't charaterize it as some sort of "cheating" or slackers methods. It's hardly that at all.

Comment

I just did an experiment. I went into my garage gym, set a jug of creatine on the lifting platform and set a loaded bar on top. Huh. The bar just sat there, didn't move an inch. I guess the creatine really doesn't do the lifting after all. [Wink]
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

ateamer

drew,

It shouldn't matter as long as you get a quality creatine. Do some research at www.saveonsupplements.com and www.netrition.com to get more info and compare prices. You can always buy the products at your local GNC if you don't want to mail order. I use the powder because I can mix it into anything since it is tasteless.
                          NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

as what has already been said. creatine does not make you bigger, it puts more water in you. thus you will gain water weight. it will help in rebuilding muscle. also the insulin spike can be good or bad. when your insulin is spiked, your body cant burn fat as well. so taking the creatine with water is best instead of grape juice. and don't wast money on fancy forms of it. the creatine poweder is best. and its not expensive. if you buy fancy stuff, thats another story price wise.

Comment

Ohhh, btw. if you are asking because your considering. more important then creatine if your considering this is protein. such as a good whey protein. again research it cuz some of it is crap but iso why is good as others are.

you build up during recovery stage and your muscles need protein. others have taken l-glutamine(if i got that right) it apparently helps your muscles recover faster.

hope this helps.
                              one site i used for fitness was www.freetrainers.com they have a good fitness board there. and all the items i talked about could be bought at GNC.. although gnc is expensive i find.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6342 users online. 356 members and 5986 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X