Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• n567
    replied
    (Yes I know Nissan is a JAPANESE brand, but when the company nearly went belly-up in the late 90's, they were bought out by, and are still owned by, French-owned Renault. In fact, company founder Louis Renault was jailed by the DeGaulle government for being a Nazi collaborator).

We still drive BMWs, Mercedes, and Volkswagons...

Leave a comment:

• Sig220Man
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by lone ranger:
    If you ask for French Fries anywhere in Europe they don't know what you are takling about.

Due to the proliferation of American TV and movies around the world, while they may not call sticks of sliced and fried potatoes "french fries" they will most likely know what you are talking about, particularly in areas frequented by American tourists.

I do agree that this whole "freedom fries" thing has gotten a bit silly, and that there are more effective ways to letting the French know we are rather unhappy with them.

Like the suggestion that we not go to the Paris Air Show (whether you agree with that or not). Or legislation barring France's participation in Iraq's physical and political reconstruction (if/when that happens). Or a law banning the use of French champagne in official government functions.

In my case, I'm thinking of buying a new car within the next year or two, and I've had my eye on the new Nissan Altima. However, I'm thinking I'll need to look elsewhere, due to my current feelings for the French.

(Yes I know Nissan is a JAPANESE brand, but when the company nearly went belly-up in the late 90's, they were bought out by, and are still owned by, French-owned Renault. In fact, company founder Louis Renault was jailed by the DeGaulle government for being a Nazi collaborator).

Leave a comment:

• gazza
    replied
    Call em chips here to allways have allways will

Leave a comment:

• Underdog
    replied
    This is all part of the political correctness crazyness that I just don't understand. It's like the transition from negro to colored to black to African American to person of color. I don't understand the idea behind changing the name and leaving the substance alone.

If these politicians wanted to make a real statement, they should all cancel their vacations and business trips to France and stop using French products. For instance, they should stop serving French wines and champaigne at political functions.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi1
    replied
    Don't get me started...I just got into it with someone from France who told me our nation was only ONE of the greatest nations in the world. How quickly they forget. I told her the sad thing was that the US would probably save their @sses again when they cry for help.

Leave a comment:

• Bill R
    replied
    We should just call them papitas and be done with it.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Burnes
    replied
    Mac,

I'd never pass on a chance to remind the English of the Clearances. Never forget.

It will be interesting in the future, as to how the French will react when they face an immediate threat of some kind. A trouble so large as to require American assistance. That time will come. Of course, America will offer assistance then; I'd wonder how graceful will be the French response.

Jim Burnes

Leave a comment:

• PeacefulDragon
    replied
    I sorta like Jim's Nu-Na suggestion -- its got a nice ring to it.

But, whatever are we doing to do about French Kissing? Freedom Kissing or Nu-Na Kissing just doesn't seem to work.

Leave a comment:

• retired
    replied
    How about we just continu calling them "French Fries"?

Leave a comment:

• BrickCop
    replied
    Although a certified French hater, I too find the whole "Freedom Fries" thing kind of silly.

That WWII vet in Florida had the right idea.

The families of the American WWII war dead buried in France should make a symbolic request to have their loved ones relocated to US soil for internment.

Leave a comment:

• MacLeod
    replied
    A chip, is a chip, is a chip, when I worked at McDonald’s many years ago I got disciplined for calling our french fries chips. So be careful what you call your chiped, french fried piece of potato.

Jim, we call them chips north of the border too, so maybe you could call them chips in support of your Scots allies, who also don’t much care for Englishmen.

Mac

Leave a comment:

• Niteshift
    replied
    I think a better symbolic gesture was the WW2 vet from here in FL.

During WW2, he got a "thank you American's" certificate from the French govt.

He sent it back to them.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Burnes
    replied
    I don't much care for the Englishmen either! I propose we just use the American word for potato, which is Nu-Na. Let the French have their pommes, the English their chips.

Nu-Na! Now, THAT'S American folks!

Jim Burnes

Leave a comment:

• lone ranger
    replied
    I don't see what the point is, we only call them French fries here in the US.

If you ask for French Fries anywhere in Europe they don't know what you are takling about.

On the Continent they call them Pomme Fritz (If I spelled that right)

What if we just call them Chips, to honor our English allies?

Leave a comment:

• drew
    replied
    I just posted it, doesn't mean I agree. I actually thought it was pretty silly and immature. It

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5394 users online. 328 members and 5066 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X