Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what they don't tell you about your first day...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what they don't tell you about your first day...

they don't tell you that you'll wake up at least twice the night before... but that just before your alarm goes off you'll be awake and ready to get up, despite the dark and cold...

they don't tell you that it takes twice as long to dress in uniform and duty gear "for real" than when you tried stuff on.

they don't tell you that with your vest and duty belt on you won't be able to tie your shoes

they don't tell you that you will be scared--not of physical harm, or of the bad guys, but of the enormous responsibilities and trusts placed in you... YOU have not changed from yesterday to today, yet today, you have the power to make decisions that will affect lives, families...

they don't tell you that you will pray more ferverently for wisdom, integrity, fairness, strength of character and of body... than you've ever prayed before.

they don't tell you that people will wave to the cruiser--and at *you* because you now wear the badge and hat...

they don't tell you that you'll feel self-conscious when you are in a public place.

they don't tell you that it will be FUN. Exhillarating. Exhausting. Even when it's simple and quiet.

they don't tell you your vest will make it impossible to sit comfortably ANYWHERE. Sure, they tell you vests suck, and to suck it up... but they really don't tell you just how BAD they suck...

they don't tell you to practice things with BOTH your vest AND duty belt on. It's rather like that scene in Gone with the Wind where Scarlett's hanging onto the bedpost for dear life while her corsette is being laced up... I had the unfortunate experience of finding out my spare cuff case catches on the bottom edge of my vest--and I can't get those cuffs out to save my life... Good thing we tried that at home... slapped on the cuff strap--and forgot the good cuffs... [Eek!]

they don't tell you it will be one of the proudest, and most humbling days you've had.

But I'm telling you now, it was all of the above. And more. Only one serious call... but the first day in uniform. I hope I don't forget.

[ 11-04-2002, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: deputy37 ]

Very well said, Deputy. Congratulations on a seemingly great first day. On another note, I haven't seen you around before, so welcome to O.Com.

Comment

Also:

they don't tell you you'll break out in a sweat while GETTING DRESSED!

they don't tell you how unbelieveably hot you will get while standing in the sun while it's 90 degrees out and you're wearing a dark blue uniform and a vest...okay, they told me, but I didn't believe them.

they don't tell you that the coolness of being able to wear a gun around in public is quickly replaced by the reality of it catching on the seat belt buckle, it poking you in the side and how heavy it all gets by the end of a shift

they don't tell you how your cuff case that you wear in the front will leave a bruise on your upper thigh after 8 hours of driving around.

they don't tell you that wearing a leather duty belt with a leather trouser belt and an ASP and cuffs on a strap will make you sound like Roy Rogers walking into the saloon for a shot a' redeye, making it impossible to sneak up on anyone. All I'm missing is the spurs!

Nice post, and good luck!

[ 11-05-2002, 12:04 PM: Message edited by: kirch ]
      Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

you're SO right about the sweating-getting-dressed thing... and it's COLD up here and I have no HEAT...

I thought I'd be afraid of physical confrontation stuff, but we had a sorta-hot call, and a squirmy little eedjit made threats to a big, burly, construction worker type guy. Me and the State Police Rookie both took the big guy... [Wink] It was just instinctive to step in and push him out of the way with our *presence* HAH!!!

I've been involved in LE for 3.5 years now... (Dispatch, Admin Assistant) Cop's kid before that. There's just so much more to it that you only *get* when it's YOU putting on that gear...

Comment

--Remember that you are 4 inches wider with duty belt and weapon on.

--Remember to put vehicle in park when making a hasty exit

--Long hair makes a convenient "handle." Put it up.

--Make sure you can run in those new boots [Eek!]

--Use the "facilities" at any available opportunity. It will take us females a "little" longer.

--Keep the cuff cases out of the small of your back.

--All rural residents have at least 5 dogs.

P.S. Deputy37 - shoes go on before duty belt. My duty belt is the LAST thing I put on.

Southpaw (a reserve deputy also)

Comment

One more thing:

You never know who's watching and they WILL call the Sheriff (good or bad).

Comment

Deputy 37 - PM!
              6P1 (retired)

Comment

deputy37, Congats on the first day! Being on the outside looking in I can only imagine how it could be. I'm looking forward to the day when I can put on the uniform. Stay safe.

Comment

Deputy,

Thank you for sharing your first day. It gives those of us who are still striving to become law enforcement officers something to look forward too!

Now stay safe out there!

[ 11-07-2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Piper ]

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by deputy37:

they don't tell you that with your vest and duty belt on you won't be able to tie your shoes

Someone needs to hit the gym [Wink]

I have no problem with my boots...

Comment

Enjoyed the post, yes it gives some a view of what to expect, and others a chuckle thinking back.

Sat through my first roll call, went through the car, all set to go out and solve the worlds problems and then ...my FTO had me drive straight to a doughnut shop. I didn't know whether to laugh or hide under a table.

Congrats, keep a sense of humor and try not to hurt anyone ok?
                      press hard please,...four copies

Comment

My first day....

I get to work and the Shift Sgt. looks at my nametag and says, "Welch, when your FTO comes in, get him to take you to Internal Affairs." So I'm thinking Rookie stuff, you know. Boy was I wrong. Someone actually called the academy the day before I graduated and said that I was playing around with my gun and it went off. They told me it was a female caller. Total BS but I don't know if it was a friend playing a joke or what...you talk about being nervous on your first day.....

Comment

Deputy37, your post was right on the mark.

They also don't tell you that, no matter how much you polish them, you'll never be satisfied with the way your shoes or boots look.

Or the moment of sheer terror you will feel the first time you get into the **** and your backup isn't on scene yet. Don't let it beat you though, you CAN handle it.

Welcome the the exciting, boring, and everywhere in between world of Law Enforcement.

And, welcome to the forums.
                          Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

....OR your first call will be to an addy on the ONE AND ONLY street you DIDN'T locate and familiarize yourself with prior to going on your first shift....

....or that those folks that 'wave' to you when they MEET you, are the same ones that FLIP you OFF as soon as you go by....

....or 'someone' forgot to tell you about the places NOT to eat, because the cook/waitress, etc HATES cops and WILL spit in your food....

....or that 'parents', when they see you in public, WILL remind their kids that if THEY don't behave, the 'nice policeman' will take THEM to jail....

....or about the SHAKES you get a few minutes AFTER handling a 'felony stop' successfully.... [Wink]

....or that you will become an ADDICT: addicted to the adrenaline rushes you get every time you respond 'Code 3' to a call.

....or the feeling you get in your heart when that little old lady THANKS you for helping her put her groceries in her car.

ENJOY it deputy37. It all goes by waaaay too fast. [Wink]

[ 11-09-2002, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: shooter1201 ]
                            "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                            -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6489 users online. 357 members and 6132 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X