Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don
    replied
    I don't know why this is, but I found that folks seem to respond better to the "wig-wag" headlights than to anything else. I've had radio cars with light bars and no wig-wags that folks just didn't seem to get the message from. And I've had "slick tops" with either a red spot light, or red dash light & "wig-wags" that really moved traffic out of the way.

Leave a comment:

• drew9582
    replied
    in response to thre remark about the caprice's if you happen to watch an episode of america's wildest police chases where 2 chevy caprices are chasing a mercedes, and the mercedes blows them both off, it takes a ford mustang w/ a 5.0 under the hood to chase him down and stop him? real car? haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh you may have guessed i'm a ford person all the way and by the way: NEVER send a chevy to do the job of a ford

Leave a comment:

• Photogrrlz
    replied
    I was going to make a stop before just for a headlight out and as I have my lights on the car pulls in her driveway..no big deal but a car going in the other direction didnt stop for me instead drives by looking at me and I had to slam on the brakes for him because he wasnt going to stop and I sure as heck didnt want to get hit. So I said hey screw the headlight so I flipped around and stopped and cited him for failure to yeild to a emergency vehicle.

Leave a comment:

• strt_swpr
    replied
    I was running 10-33 to an accident once. This one car just wouldnt get out of my way, I cycled through all the siren frequencies and hit the air horn a few times. You know what finally got his attention. The cars regualar factory horn. What a joke.

Leave a comment:

• DaisyNY
    replied
    I saw a car chase, cops chasing a stolen vehicle, come through a street at my corner and the cars that didnt get out of the way all got hit by the stolen car. They did help in that they slowed the vehicle down somewhat but if you hear a siren behind you, and see the flashing lights, its not cos the cops have hot food they need to get back to the station.

Anyway the perps were caught - two fifteen year old girls. One who burts into tears and gave it up as soon as they were caught and one who fought for her life and it took four officers to get her down and cuffed.

Leave a comment:

• kirch
    replied
    I find this problematic for several reasons:

1) It should have been obvious to the officer that you were accelerating so that he could get by. I guess your only other options would have been the left shoulder (if there was one) or to activate your right-turn signal and see if the trucks would let you in on the right. Nontheless, it shouldn't take a brain surgeon to figure out why you did what you did.

2) As you mentioned, whatever the nature of the call he was responding to, he obviuosly felt it was important enough to respond 10-33. If that's the case, why would he delay his response time to chat with you on the side of the road? The only way I can see doing that is if the observed violation is significantly more dangerous than what he was responding to (i.e. seeing a drunk driver bouncing curb-to-curb while responding to a 911 hangup). Even though you were speeding, I assume you were under control and reduced your speed as soon as you could pull to the right.

Overall, this sounds like a poor choice on the trooper's part.

Leave a comment:

• daviscmp
    replied
    But, what if the right lane is blocked and you can't move over?
    This brings up an interesting question. It made me remember an incident I had with the Missouri HP.

A couple of months ago, I was driving on a four lane highway (two lanes in either direction) with a posted 70 MPH speed limit. I was slowly but surely passing a convoy consisting of six tractor-trailer rigs end to end in the right lane. The trucks were moving at about 65-68 MPH (approx) and my needle was resting comfortably at about 72. As I am about midway past the convoy, three trucks behind me and three in front of me, I notice a Highway Patrol car lit up like a Christmas tree coming up behind me. Here's my dilema: I'm boxed in. I have all the trucks on my right with no room to squeeze between them and a HP car about ten feet off of my rear bumper. I wasn't sure if he wanted to pull me over or if he wanted to get by, but either way, we weren't accomplishing anything given our situation. I decided to get out of his way and accelerated quickly until I was clear of the first truck at which point I moved over into the right lane and then onto the shoulder as I slowed to a stop. I probably reached about 85 MPH in order to get clear of the first truck. Anyway, he pulled in right behind me. To make a long story short, he explained that he was on his way to a call, but felt compelled to stop me for driving 80+ MPH in front of him. I explained why I had done so and that I felt it was justified under the circumstances. He told me to have a nice day and proceeded on his way. Anyway, I appreciated the fact that he did not issue me a ciation, but also found it funny that he was going somewhere important enough to justify code 3, yet had time to stop me for 15 MPH over.

How would you all have handled the situation? I know that I would have been grateful that a motorist got out of my way when I had to get somewhere in a hurry.

BTW-Sorry I got off of the original topic.

Leave a comment:

• AverageJoe
    replied
    I'm with you, 3/4s. Did you notice that the lit-up cop car in the mirror was a REAL car, a 94-96 Caprice 9C1? It's laughable to imply that there is any performance commonality between the two cars. The only truth in that ad is that the older Caprice will easily pull out and overtake the new Impala SS.

The new GTO looks great on paper but is not big enough to haul the family around. If GM starts building big 4 door V8 RWD passenger cars again (as is rumored) I may be tempted to part with my '95 9C1. Until then, forget it - I'll keep my LT1 and continue to dust any non-Corvette GM can come up with.

AvgJoe

Leave a comment:

• 3/4s
    replied
    What annoys me about that commercial is it`s for the make believe Impala SS with that "big" V6. No barf emoticon. Must speak to the new owners about that one.

Leave a comment:

• Fastie
    replied
    Originally posted by Pigskin
    My problem with most car commercials is that it shows the car driving very fast...as if that's all a car is for...going fast. No wonder everybody speeds.
    HUH?? what do you mean? (See screen name!!)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm mmmmmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• ghost
    replied
    I think new drivers are the scariest to pull over. I was riding with an officer when he attempted to pull a car over on a highway late at night. First, the car pulled to the left shoulder... then they scared the **** out of the officer by starting to move as he got out of the cruiser. They drove across to the right hand shoulder and started to stop. When they saw the cruiser behind them and the officer chirped the siren they started to move AGAIN and stopped a little ahead but right in the center of the highway. Eventually the officer got them back to the right shoulder. Turns out the driver had just gotten her permit and was driving with her 20/21 yr old brother who had started screaming at her when the blues came on and she started freaking out.

Leave a comment:

• Valor55
    replied
    People doing crazy things is why we frequently don't use emergency equipment (most roads around here have multiple lanes in each direction). People just drive normal (which is easy to predict) and don't know you're a cop until you've passed them. Of course I work graveyard shift and traffic is typically light. You put your lights and sirens on and all of a sudden people lose their minds. They'll pull in front of you and slam on their brakes because they think you're pulling them over. Older drivers have been told to pull to the right shoulder and newer drivers told to pull to the nearest shoulder. So you have people in the left lane sideswiping you to get to the right shoulder and other people diving into the median from right lane instead of going to the curb... It can get insane.

So next time you see a cop car fly by they may not be in a hurry to get to donuts but enroute to a call and don't want to deal with the hassle of playing pinball with their cruiser going 3I...

Leave a comment:

• J-WS6
    replied
    Originally posted by auntysuz63
    And don't forget those little bitty letters at the bottom of the screen: "Professional driver on closed course." Like anyone sees or notices that.
    Yea, just the other day I was doing doughnuts and 360's in downtown LA

Leave a comment:

• drew9582
    replied
    this much is true..... you pull over to the right as far as you can and most importantly, stop moving. this is espically true of fire dept. vehicles as most of them are too big to easily manuver around you. in my home state of pa the only exception was when you were in a marked school zone and under no circumstances did you exceed the posted speed limit in that zone( if memory serves it's still 15 mph)the door prize for speeding in a school zone is 5 points and an automatic 60 day suspension of your driver's license upon conviction. now the only exception to this was if a police officer was chasing someone. in addition, failure to yield right of way to any emergency vehicle in pa if memory serves is 3 or 4 points and a pretty stiff fine and if the person is driving a school bus or any related vehicle, that driver can be disqualified as a school bus driver

Leave a comment:

• auntysuz63
    replied
    Mike TX I asked that same question a couple of years ago, to a deputy I worked with. His response to me was to move over to the right as far as you can safely do so and most importantly, STOP MOVING. Emergency vehicles will be going to the left of you and they need room to get through.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5500 users online. 328 members and 5172 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X