300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV ad criticism

I never thought I'd be one of those people to take issue with what I see on TV. It's TV, right? But the other night I saw an ad that irritated me and I need to vent.

The ad is for a new car model. I can't remember which one (effective advertising, huh?). The gist of it is you have a 30- or 40-something couple in the car with the man behind the wheel. He sees a squad car coming up behind him with lights/sirens going. He looks down at his speedometer, then nervously at the rearview mirror. The whole time you see the squad getting closer and closer. Finally, the squad pulls into the left lane and passes the couple, still going 10-33. The driver is visibly relieved.

My gripe?

Why didn't the driver pull over to the right like you're supposed to when an emergency vehicle is approaching from the rear? I don't know about other states, but it's the law here and you can be cited for failing to do so. It's called Failure to Yield to an Emergency Vehicle.

I can't help but imagine what the trooper/deputy/officer is saying in his squad car; the same things I do when it happens to me -- "Hey, moron, there's a big car with pretty lights and a loud siren behind you - GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!"
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

I am glad I am not the one who noticed things like that!
    I am a good bunny..I always yield....
    "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."
    Davy Crockett

Comment

Kirch, I know exactly what you mean. This is one of my major pet peeves. It seems that when a motorist sees lights and sirens he/she either freezes, acts totally oblivious, or starts doing insane things. We've had several near misses on the way to a call because people don't know how to drive. We've had people pull directly out in front of us, stop in the middle of the road, completely blocking our path and then some simply refuse to pull over to let us by.

It's not that hard of a concept......when you see a police car, fire truck or ambulance, slow down and pull over to the right. Duh.

Comment

My problem with most car commercials is that it shows the car driving very fast...as if that's all a car is for...going fast. No wonder everybody speeds.

Comment

And don't forget those little bitty letters at the bottom of the screen: "Professional driver on closed course." Like anyone sees or notices that.
          "Americans don't want a mentally unstable president; he might start a war or something." - Bill Maher

Comment

Relax, it's tv. No one really drives like that.

But, what if the right lane is blocked and you can't move over?

Comment

In WI you don't have to pull to the right if you are blocked from doing so.

Of course it's only TV. But what fun is life without tilting at a few windmills?

The reminds me of another ad I saw a couple of years ago. It was for another vehicle, I think a Subaru, but definitely some kind of SUV. It shows a woman and child driving out into the lush green forest. They pull over and end up releasing a rabbit to go romp and play forever with it's wild brethren.

Unfortunately, the rabbit they used was a white domesticated rabbit -- a color that stood out like a sore thumb in the dark green forest. Such a rabbit would last about 24 hours in the true wild.

So many people complained that the company pulled the ad and apologized. Their excuse? The ad agency ran down to a pet store before the shoot and bought the cutest bunny they could find.
              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Mike TX I asked that same question a couple of years ago, to a deputy I worked with. His response to me was to move over to the right as far as you can safely do so and most importantly, STOP MOVING. Emergency vehicles will be going to the left of you and they need room to get through.
                "Americans don't want a mentally unstable president; he might start a war or something." - Bill Maher

Comment

this much is true..... you pull over to the right as far as you can and most importantly, stop moving. this is espically true of fire dept. vehicles as most of them are too big to easily manuver around you. in my home state of pa the only exception was when you were in a marked school zone and under no circumstances did you exceed the posted speed limit in that zone( if memory serves it's still 15 mph)the door prize for speeding in a school zone is 5 points and an automatic 60 day suspension of your driver's license upon conviction. now the only exception to this was if a police officer was chasing someone. in addition, failure to yield right of way to any emergency vehicle in pa if memory serves is 3 or 4 points and a pretty stiff fine and if the person is driving a school bus or any related vehicle, that driver can be disqualified as a school bus driver

Comment

Originally posted by auntysuz63
                    And don't forget those little bitty letters at the bottom of the screen: "Professional driver on closed course." Like anyone sees or notices that.
                    Yea, just the other day I was doing doughnuts and 360's in downtown LA

Comment

People doing crazy things is why we frequently don't use emergency equipment (most roads around here have multiple lanes in each direction). People just drive normal (which is easy to predict) and don't know you're a cop until you've passed them. Of course I work graveyard shift and traffic is typically light. You put your lights and sirens on and all of a sudden people lose their minds. They'll pull in front of you and slam on their brakes because they think you're pulling them over. Older drivers have been told to pull to the right shoulder and newer drivers told to pull to the nearest shoulder. So you have people in the left lane sideswiping you to get to the right shoulder and other people diving into the median from right lane instead of going to the curb... It can get insane.

So next time you see a cop car fly by they may not be in a hurry to get to donuts but enroute to a call and don't want to deal with the hassle of playing pinball with their cruiser going 3I...
                      I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Comment

I think new drivers are the scariest to pull over. I was riding with an officer when he attempted to pull a car over on a highway late at night. First, the car pulled to the left shoulder... then they scared the **** out of the officer by starting to move as he got out of the cruiser. They drove across to the right hand shoulder and started to stop. When they saw the cruiser behind them and the officer chirped the siren they started to move AGAIN and stopped a little ahead but right in the center of the highway. Eventually the officer got them back to the right shoulder. Turns out the driver had just gotten her permit and was driving with her 20/21 yr old brother who had started screaming at her when the blues came on and she started freaking out.
                        Don't take life too seriously- you'll never come out of it alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigskin
                          My problem with most car commercials is that it shows the car driving very fast...as if that's all a car is for...going fast. No wonder everybody speeds.
                          HUH?? what do you mean? (See screen name!!)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzoooooooooooooooooooooooommmmmm mmmmmmmmm
                          Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

What annoys me about that commercial is it`s for the make believe Impala SS with that "big" V6. No barf emoticon. Must speak to the new owners about that one.
                            Life is like a 3 ring circus and cops have a front row seat. It`s The Greatest Show On Earth.

Comment

I'm with you, 3/4s. Did you notice that the lit-up cop car in the mirror was a REAL car, a 94-96 Caprice 9C1? It's laughable to imply that there is any performance commonality between the two cars. The only truth in that ad is that the older Caprice will easily pull out and overtake the new Impala SS.

The new GTO looks great on paper but is not big enough to haul the family around. If GM starts building big 4 door V8 RWD passenger cars again (as is rumored) I may be tempted to part with my '95 9C1. Until then, forget it - I'll keep my LT1 and continue to dust any non-Corvette GM can come up with.

AvgJoe
                              Be careful, kids. Daddy's summer car is like the Ark of the Covanent - if you touch it, you will surely die.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5572 users online. 379 members and 5193 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X