300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• riding a bike with a permit

hello everyone. im in new york. i have a simple question. ill be getting my gsx-r soon but i wont have my lisence for about another three weeks. my question is this. if a cop pulls me over and i am polite what are the chances he will let me off the hook. i have a drivers lisence and a motorcycle permit. being that i was doing 75 in a 55. nothing too serious. would he take the bike away from me. i do know how to ride bikes i just never got my lisence. thanks guys
    jay

1. 75 in a 55 zone can be considered SERIOUS. In my state (CA), the fine DOUBLES when you reach the 20MPH over mark, and you are no longer eligible for traffic school. In other states, you may have escalated the seriousness of your charges from a simple infraction to a MISDEMEANOR (reckless driving).

2. As far as taking your bike away, that would depend on your state's laws. If you are arrested for a misdemeanor, your bike could be impounded. If you grossly violated the conditions of your permit, you might also lose the bike. Again, that depends on the laws of your particular state.

Comment

in ny you are suppose to ride with a lisenced rider. would they still take my bike being i didnt do anything too bad and have no record and have it registered and insured.

Comment

I'm from NY state. You answered your own question: You are supoposed to have a licensed operator with you. You know the law. Follow it. If you don't, suffer the consequences.

Comment

Let me be really blunt.........

If you don't even have a full MC license yet and you're already getting popped at 20 mph over, make sure your family takes out a good life insurance policy on you, because the writing is on the wall.

------------------
          Niteshift-
          Perseverate In Pugna

Comment

Gsx...would that be a 1300r?
            Please take a moment to visit http://www.crpe.net home of the first police explorer post in the country.

Comment

A motorcycle in N.Y.? Just make sure to check "yes" on the organ donor section of the license. Really though, be careful I've seen too many fatality motorcycle wrecks and it's usually the other vehicle at fault. Don't count on getting off easily on tickets. It depends on the officer (and your attitude). You may get one who rides his own bike or one who hates motors.
              Originally posted by jorbiddon:
              hello everyone. im in new york. i have a simple question. ill be getting my gsx-r soon but i wont have my lisence for about another three weeks. my question is this. if a cop pulls me over and i am polite what are the chances he will let me off the hook. i have a drivers lisence and a motorcycle permit. being that i was doing 75 in a 55. nothing too serious. would he take the bike away from me. i do know how to ride bikes i just never got my lisence. thanks guys
              jay

------------------
              In Valor There Is Hope.
              In Valor There Is Hope.

Comment

Do I have this right? In NY, you have to have a licensed rider with you on the motorcycle if you only have a permit? Who'd want to ride on the back when the driver only has a permit?

In CA, you can't take a passenger, ride on the freeway, or ride at night with only a permit.
                Paul

Comment

its a 01 gsx-r 750. its real sweet. i have been riding at the tracks for about a year now with my honda cbr 600. its just that now i want to ride in the streets. and i wont have my lisence. but i am getting it. thaks for the replies.
                  jay

Comment

No, you need another licensed biker on another bike WITH you. They don't need to be physically ON your bike.

Comment

License = History

20 over and over 55 may well result in suspension or revocation.

Just breaks my damn heart

------------------
                      "There is true glory and true honor, the glory of duty done and the honor of integrity and principles." - Robert E. Lee

[This message has been edited by Dave T (edited 05-17-2001).]
                      "There is true glory and true honor, the glory of duty done and the honor of integrity and principles." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

In Massachusetts, you would be probally charged with operating to endanger, as well as having you bike towed and having to pay the towing charges and attorney fees.

------------------
                        Ptlm. Bryan C. King
                        Ptlm. Bryan C. King

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4602 users online. 311 members and 4291 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X