300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medic Alert Braclets

I now have one informing anyone who may need to see it I have Type 2 diabetes. How many of you have a condition that police and medis should know about if you can't tell them? My alert bracelet also lists all meds I am on (4) and what I am allergic to (morphine).
    I was at a Fair today and saw a woman collapsing. Police and medics were right by her side and I saw them reding her medic alert bracelet. She had a heart problem. I didn't stay because I didn't want to gawk. But, I'm glad I have one and I'm glad my son does too.
    I have a friend that has low blood sugar. She had a problem one day where it went too low and she was going into shock. She managed to get her car over. Luckily, there had been a police officer that suspected her of drunk driving and was stopping her. She saw him come up to her car and managed to stick her hand out the window, showing him her medic alert bracelet. He was able to get help to her immediately.
    I think they are worth their weight in gold even though I could only afford a stainless steel one. lol

That's assuming the cops know what to do. If you go to the American Diabetes Association website you can read many stories of cops thinking someone was drunk and beating people up because they didn't understand.

Most people with diabetes test before they drive and can avoid the situation. I know two people with type 1 diabetes. One that works for the fire department and the other is a deputy. Both are in phenomenal shape and do fine with their insulin pumps.
    Man hath no greater love than this, then to lay down his life for his friend.
    "The strength of the wolf is in the pack and the strength of the pack is in the wolf."- Kipling

Comment

Tsting would help but that doesnot mean a diabetic might not have a sudden rie or drop in blood sugar. Everyone's body is different. And I think cops can read a medic alert bracelt and know what to do? Why wouldn't they? They call EMT's and, if necessary, give the medical attention they know to give like CPR.
      In my friends case, she was able to tell the cop she had candy in her purse and asked he give it to her. But, he could see the EMT's truck coming and decided to let them make that call.
      That's why people wear medic alert bracelets.....To alert people to the problem. The people may not know what to do but they CAN dial 911.

Comment

I don't disagree with anything your saying. My point was that some states do not have high enough curriculum requirements with regards to medical training. My mom has a friend who has a son that was out late one night and he was starting to feel himself drop so he pulled over. A cop was close behind and noticed the erratic driving and assumed he was drunk. I'm sure this would have been a big deal for this cop, boring town. Anyway, before the kid (19) can explain he's thrown on the hood, handcuffed and thrown in the back seat. Needless to say he passed out and had to have IV dextrose. Not the first, nor the second cop to arrive cared to look at his bracelet.

My point is that because people with diabetes have a by and large hidden disease and can function quite well 99% of the time, it takes someone with a little education on the condition to know how to act and what to do. It's really easy to treat that kind of emergency and know the symptoms of highs and lows, as well as allow the person to present proof.
        Man hath no greater love than this, then to lay down his life for his friend.
        "The strength of the wolf is in the pack and the strength of the pack is in the wolf."- Kipling

Comment

I have stopped people before thinking they were drunk. I just talked my niece who is only 20 years old and was diagnosed recently to wear the bracelet. It could be a matter of life or death and when you got the information you don't have much doubt which can save your life.
          Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

I think the medic alerts are a good thing and can end up saving a lot of lives as more and more people realize what they are and what they look like. I think as law enforcement enters a new era there will be a lot of things that change for the better and one of those will be a system that will allow the officer to help more vitims who are suffering from a illness that is identified on a medic alert bracelet. I think the ability to add more and more info into less and less space is gonna be able to tell the officer what they can do to help that victim have a better chance at survival.

I will admit I am very non educated in the whole medic alert system and what exaclty to do to save apersons life in some medical emergancies. But I do know enough to try and keep them alive until the proper medics arrive.

Klar
            Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3859 users online. 218 members and 3641 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X