recall that former Gov. Christine Whitman had denounced state police
    officers as racists after the release of the junk science "study"
    claiming blacks were improperly stopped for traffic violations more
    often than people of other race and ethnicity. The new study's
    improved research design allows comparison of traffic stops against
    baselines of speeding behavior by race, finding that blacks were 16
    percent of drivers but 25 percent of speeders on a New Jersey Turnpike
    section -- suggesting that police are more likely to stop blacks
    because as drivers they are likelier to speed.

Here in NC we have to fill out stop forms with information to include:Race, age, reason for stop, action taken, if resistance was encountered, and if the vehicle was searched. If it was searched, you have to list what was found.

Depending on what area of NC you work, you might stop mainly minorities (actually the majority in that area).

Comment

To me all it means is less time for the police to be actually doing their job, and more taxes needed.

Comment

Same with the stop reports here in NJ. Whenever you ask someone out of the vehicle...another report. Race, reason for stop, vehicle info, NCIC check, etc...

Comment

This link examines the story in some detail.

Comment

Our county now includes a race box on their citations. Some of our officers were so ****ed about it they refuse to fill it out. in fact..its crap.. look at these classifications:

Please use the codes indicated below:
            I-American Indian or Alaskan Native
            A-Asian
            B-Black or African American
            H-Native Hawaiian or other pacific islander
            W-White

Ahhhh.......what about hispanics? and WTF is H for Hawaiian??? WTF? WHO EVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE? ... lol half the officers still think H is for hispanics so we have a lot of Hawaiian people comming though our city.

oh wait.. i just looked closer it says use WY meaning Yes if they are hispanic or latino. STUPID STUPID STUPID....
            Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

This whole profiling issue has been beaten to death, neither side will admit they're wrong or come to a compromise. The fact is that everyone profiles, based on their own beliefs, background and experience. The whole racial part of it is completely asinine. Like has been said before, sometimes you can't even tell if the driver is HUMAN, let alone <insert minority here>. I'm waiting for a form to come out with names for races being Injun, Oriental, Negro, Mexican (cuz we KNOW all Latinos must be mexican, right?? ), and White.

Comment

It is my understanding that the record keeping in some departmants have the officers reporting the tallies on the forms after they get to the station, and things like, 'We got too many minorities, anyone got any White pullovers to get the numbers right?.....Hold on, these are now White. How many did you need?'
                If a pullover includes a driver's lisc., and every lisc. I thought had the driver's race (or it can be added), then let the computers look up race, and run all the complicated computations that the bean counters need. Odds are that sheer quantity will fix the few 'mistaken race' calls. Police officers should not need to care about making the numbers right if every one that they stop is doing something wrong.
                I agree with the other guy - in my suburban neighborhood the median income is probably over 80K per middle aged adult person (140K + for family), and if you start pulling everybody over, you will still get over 90% African American.
                I think it has more to do with where you look, and who is speeding for the most part, and probably a lot less to do with profiling prior a stop.
                We can talk about what happens after the stop in another subject.

Comment

This is SAD.SAD.SAD.
                  Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2953 users online. 161 members and 2792 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X