300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durham PD, NC

I am about to begin the testing phase for the Durham Police Department in NC. Does anyone have any info on the department as far as job tempo and working environment? Any information regarding the city as well would be greatly appreciate it. I would like to know from someone who actually has an idea of how things really are. Thanks alot guys.
    Feel free to say whatever you want, but don't expect me to listen.

We do have a member with that agency-maybe he'll see this.
    People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

I make it a point to go on a ride-along with an agency before I interview with them, to learn a little bit about the agency's philosophy (for the oral board) as well as to figure out if it's an agency that I'd fit in with. You'll get a lot more out of riding 8 or 10 hours with an officer there than you will on this site.

Good luck.

Mike
      "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

I went to college in Chapel Hill, NC which is right next door to Durham. I don't know how their dept is but the city itself is real shi*hole. Its a have and have not kind of town with the dookies students, profs and doctors and then the have nots. And their is alot of dirt poor people in durham. And its a political town as well and not in a good way. The crime rate is high for the area and if you get the job you will have plenty of work to do. Lots of shootings for a small southern city and a thriving drug trade. All and all lots of FUN for a cop to have. Good Luck.

Comment

Last edited by 156; 07-06-2003, 07:40 AM.

Comment

It is by and large a sh** hole, but the training officers and programs yeild a lot of repecrt. Most people no matter how much resistence to change and fear of the police, want to be helped.

I would consider other NC agencies that provide permanent shifts, starting around 33K and future oppotunirties.
            Man hath no greater love than this, then to lay down his life for his friend.
            "The strength of the wolf is in the pack and the strength of the pack is in the wolf."- Kipling

Comment

Thanks alot for your input on the subject. So far, I hear more negative things about the city than positive. Which doesnt really matter to me. I am originally from Los Angeles, CA., how would the city of Durham compare to L.A., in both crime and quality of living?

Comment

Durham is a rough place for NC, but overall I wouldn't consider it too bad. Compare it with DC, NY, Newark, Philly, LA and its a cake walk. I live in Raleigh and would say they have a good department and the pay is extremely competitive.

That being said it just depends on what you are used to. People around here think Durham is a ghetto. People from DC think Durham is great. Its all in what your used to!
                -do your job, do it right, win the fight, go home!

Comment

Rajulio,

Please feel free to drop me a Private Message and I will answer any questions you may have regarding my department.

Some General Information

Crime: As indicated in some prior posts Durham has a history of elevated crime (actually much higher than DC or NY per-capita) but as with most cities much of the crime is isolated to specific areas of the city. The vast majority of the city represents a typical mixture of residents and has about the type and number of incidents that are expected.

Workload: If you like to work than Uniform Patrol in the DPD is the place to be (highest number of dispatched calls per officer per shift in the State). In a 12 hour shift you can expect between 18 and 25 calls dispatched in addition to checking in with other officers (all beats are 1 man patrols) and self directed activities (traffic, warrants, etc). Personally I prefer to be busy as it makes the day pass quickly. I could never function within a 5 call a day environment (it would put me in a coma). If you complete this process you will work with a group of Officers of whom you can truely be proud - its a great "family" functioning in a tough environment.

The Department: Durham maintains approx. 475 sworn personnel and offers all types of police activities and squads. Everything from K9, Housing, Criminal Investigations, Gang Unit, Domestic, and Selective Enforcement (Tactical) are potential career pathways. Are there changes that might be made to improve the department? That depends upon your perspective but I would submit that improvements can be made to all organizations.

City Improvements: Durham is undergoing a massive downtown revitalization program (largest in State history) which should greatly impact the downtown area. Over the past 5 years or so there has been a lot of changes to the look and feel of downtown.

Ride Along: Sure, anytime you want to ride with an Officer let me know.

Benefits: There is a lot to be said for working in the DPD. Pay and benefits are on par with the rest of the triangle area and there are lots of off duty opportunities (in uniform) that officers can take advantage of to supplement their income.

Feel free to visit our website at Durham Police

To all,

Stay Safe and God Bless.

Dave T (actually Cpl. Dave T)
                  "There is true glory and true honor, the glory of duty done and the honor of integrity and principles." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Thanks alot Dave T. I will testing this coming tuesday, so I will be in town for atleast a couple of days. I would like to take you up on that ride along sometime in the future, when I can get some leave approved. I would like to send you some e mails as well, and ask you a few things along the testing process, provided that I make it through the phases.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by Rajulio:
                      Thanks alot Dave T. I will testing this coming tuesday, so I will be in town for atleast a couple of days. I would like to take you up on that ride along sometime in the future, when I can get some leave approved. I would like to send you some e mails as well, and ask you a few things along the testing process, provided that I make it through the phases.

You can always email me at one of my accounts - [email protected]

Best of Luck in your process.

DT
                      "There is true glory and true honor, the glory of duty done and the honor of integrity and principles." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4588 users online. 269 members and 4319 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X