300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you heard of this person?

In a conversation tonight, I was asked if I liked Shell Silverstein. My reply was...who?

Anyway, it was made to sound like I was living under a rock for not knowing who this person was.

Without looking it up, how many know who Shell Silverstein is?

[ 06-27-2003, 02:12 AM: Message edited by: Niteshift ]

My rock is better decorated than your rock.

Comment

Wow... That's a name I've hadn't heard of in years!!! [Eek!]
      " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by 207:
        Wow... That's a name I've hadn't heard of in years!!! [Eek!]

Thats a name I have never heard of.....
        Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

Absolutely. "Where the Sidewalk Ends" was a source of endless amusement for me growing up. I haven't even thought about that for YEARS...

Comment

Ohhhhhhh, this guy.

Man, I remember him now; A light on in the Attic, too...
            Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
            -Mark Twain

Comment

i never heard of him, so apparentely i don't care that i've never heard of him or else i would want to know why i never heard of him and would seek him out so i would know why i do want to hear of him.
              I'll post, You argue.

Comment

In addition to Where the Sidewalk Ends (about the only book of poetry I don't need to twist a student's arm to get them to read) he also did a huge stint writing for Playboy. He wrote an interesting little story about a fellow that gets one up on the Devil.

I'm suprised more of the older guys didn't know that...after all, they read the articles, right? [Wink]
                I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

Comment

Oh absolutely! I used to read Silverstein's poems all the time when I was a little girl.

Comment

Look up a book of his called "The Giving Tree".

P.S. It's Shel.
                    If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

Comment

My teacher used to read his twisted poetry out loud in our first and second grade class. It's really interesting stuff.
                      Dance like no one's watching -- Sing like no one's listening, and work like you don't need the money.

Comment

The Giving Tree is my all time favorite book from childhood.....I cant wait until Baby Bunny can appreciate it. She cant look at any of her books that are made of paper (big girl books); she just looks at her board books. She actually sits and opens each page and brushes her fingers across the pictures.....when I read them to her she smiles. It is charming!
                        That book will be a special one so I am waiting for her to be old enough.....that and her Cajun Christmas book, The Crippled Lamb and "Before you were Born" my mom gave us when I was pregnant will all be in that "special book" section of her collection. She needs to be old enough to learn repect for books before I let her look at them alone. I am a big book geek.....in case you did not figure that out! Give me a good book, a cup of coffee and some free time without interruptions and I am happy.
                        "You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas."
                        Davy Crockett

Comment

Didn't know when I first read your post. After reading the replies...Still don't know.

[ 06-27-2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: Ron1432 ]
                          Walk slow, Talk low, and Don't say Too Much.

Comment

He not only wrote children's books, but was a regular contributor to Playboy magazine back in the 60's. Talented man.
                            "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

quote:
                              The Giving Tree is my all time favorite book from childhood.....I cant wait until Baby Bunny can appreciate it.
                              The Giving Tree is the most sado-masochistic book in existence and I can barely believe that we read it to children. It's sick and very twisted.

Think about the message in that book; A tree (or person) is used and abused by a selfish brat of a child who literally kills it with never a word of thanks. I have to wonder what a kid will take away from that...

There's another book out there...it's about a mother who hugs her kid, even when he's an adult, literally crawling into her son's window to hug and hold him when he's an adult. I'm sorry, but if my mother was breaking into my home at night to hug me when I was sleeping, I'd have to think about restraining orders. [Eek!]

I'd take a Children's Literature course before I ever read a thing to my kid. There's so much hidden stuff in most of the stories we share that it might make you think twice; sometimes what we think we're teaching, we're not.

My .02
                              I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6685 users online. 365 members and 6320 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X