300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep The Military Out of the Police

Anyone who has recently read the news will know that there is talk of changing a 100 year old law, preventing the military in intervining in police activity.

THIS IS COMPLETLY WRONG!

The military is NOT trained in policeing there own people. The only branch that is is the Coast Gaurd and the National Gaurd, which is used ONLY for riot control.

Having the military in American Cities will inhibit local state and federal from prosecuting and investigating crimes and criminals.

We see how well departments share information. having the Military in US cities will just make it that much worse.

Anyone who say the movie The Seige, will note that as soon as the Military was brought in, people were scared, tourtured and unabel to live there regular lives.

Tell your senator to keep the power in the people who have been doing there job well for hundreds of years....THE POLICE

Thanks,
    Exploring, The Bright Future of Law Enforcement!

Originally posted by fpde279:
    Anyone who say the movie The Seige, will note that as soon as the Military was brought in, people were scared, tourtured and unabel to live there regular lives.

And that's always what happens as soon as the military is out in the public. Yep.

In the "movie", the military was brought in for the express purpose of invoking marshall law.
    On the wings of a dove
    Let's roll for justice
    Let's roll for truth
    Let's not let our children grow up
    Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

It's a bad idea.
      Bill R

Comment

Wasn't there a military action in the thirties against some ex-GI's called the bonus army? General Patton and MacAurtur geting to crush some civilians?

Comment

MikeTx

Yep, it happened in July 1932 against 20,000 of those ex-GI's.

PS General Eisenhower was also present....

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: GRACE ]
          "Life breaks us all and afterwards some are strong at the broken places."
          --Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Comment

I agree, a terrible idea!!
            Retired

Comment

The military is NOT trained in policeing there own people. The only branch that is is the Coast Gaurd and the National Gaurd, which is used ONLY for riot control.
              The National Guard is trained to police civilians and is used only for riot control? Where in the world did you hear this? National Guard members go through the same training as Regular Army and Army Reserve members. Most of them aren't even MPs. The only difference between the Guard and the Active or Reserve componant is that the governor can activate the Guard. This is why you see the Guard used in situations like riots, disasters or large gatherings of people. You're mistaken if you think that the average National Guardsman at an airport during Operation Noble Eagle had any additional training than some Active Duty soldier.

Also, the Coast Guard has an entirely different mission. They are organized under the Transportation Dept. and not the Defense Dept. so that they can enforce certain laws and arrest civilians. The Coast Guard has ALWAYS been able to engage in law enforcement actions against civilians, as posse comitatus does not apply to them.

Yeah, let's base what might happen on some movie. As was previously stated, that was a martial law scenario. Military were present at US airports for the past several months and nobody was unable to live their regular life. They were also present at the Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, and the KY Derby. I don't recall anyone being tortured in either of these places.

Comment

Patrick, the NG actually does receive additional training in riot and crowd control. This occurs both during basic training, and during weekend drills/annual training.
                Dave Kiefner
                [i]Die Wahrheit ist eine Perle. Werfen sie nicht vor die S

Comment

Originally posted by dkiefner:
                  Patrick, the NG actually does receive additional training in riot and crowd control. This occurs both during basic training, and during weekend drills/annual training.

Ummm I went through basic training with atleast 10 NG guys. I never seen them get pulled off for no special riot control training. I seen them marching,shooting,running the whole time. If I was to go into NG I wouldnt have to be retrained.

Comment

If this was a blanket removal of Posse Comitatus, I'd oppose it strongly.........

but this isn't.

The suggestion was to allow the military to augment and support civilian LE in the event of a terrorist attack or other limited circumstances.

Some NG units do get riot control training. Many of them do not.

Comment

Even when and if it was to happen the military wouldnt be doing the policeing. they would be guarding and doing non-policeing type thing. Cant really think of a good word for it right now. But the real Police work would be left to the Police.

Comment

It's called incrementalism. You take a little bit at a time.

Comment

Patrick, The NG is used for riot control. If they are not trained then we have major problems. I didn't say that the coast gaurd was not abel to arrest ect...but rather that they opperate on US soil, or water. I was not baseing my oppion on the movie...and what you claim is wrong. There is not a state of martial law enacted...God forbidd that, and i didn't say people were being tourtured. But people have had to change there lives...i can't relax on a plane...Jluy Fourth 2 peoples lives were ended...and Airline Security shot the criminal...not the NG. So having them there really hasent prevented anything. The action of putting military forces on US soil, will mean one thing.

TRAINED law enforcement will be inhibited to do there job as quickly and efficently as possible.

Comment

Also...i will make this a new post but i personally do not belive that Police officers and FBI agents and the like are CIVILIANS. Reply in the new post.

Comment

You call it incrementalism, my college Logic & Reasoning professor called it a slippery slope argument (if A happens, you'll get B; then assuming B, you'll get C, etc.). And a slippery slope argument is a faulty argument. You can't say that one thing will lead to another which will lead to another -- each step must be debated separately.

Of course, I can't blame people for using this faulty line of reasoning -- the NRA has been using it for years to great effect.
                              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5510 users online. 323 members and 5187 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X