300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom built laptops?

Does anyone know of a web site where I can custom order a laptop? My wife needs one to telecommute to work but I need to be able to order one with certian features. Dell and Gateway are out because I need one with Win98 on it and you pretty much have to order with 2k, ME, or XP if you order from the big guys. If you can even get 2k or ME anymore. Thanks
    On the wings of a dove
    Let's roll for justice
    Let's roll for truth
    Let's not let our children grow up
    Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

First of all, is there a reason that you MUST have Windows 98, as opposed to Windows 2000 Professional or XP? Do either of you use a particular piece of software that ONLY works with Win98 and nothing else?

If you absolutely must have Win98, you may have only one of two choices:

1. Buy a computer with another operating system installed, format the hard disk, and install a separately purchased full copy (not upgrade) of Windows 98 SE (still available at some computer specialty stores for about $200); or,

2. Find a local custom-computer maker to build you one from scratch, complete with Windows 98 SE.

Comment

Go to Directron.com, a Houston-based company. They will build a desktop or laptop to your specs, including OS. Or they will ship a blank HD, whatever you specify.

I bought a bare-bones desktop kit from them a few months ago, case, hard drive, fans and motherboard; the rest I added on my own.

My experience with them has been top-notch. I have some more stuff on order now.

Might consider Tigerdirect.com, they have recertified stuff, and they have also been great to deal with.

Comment

She is using it to telecommute and I'm pretty sure that some of the software that she uses for work is made for win98. I need to double check with her i.t. guy and make sure that winME or XP will not work. But I'm pretty sure that she needs 98/se. Thanks for the help.
        On the wings of a dove
        Let's roll for justice
        Let's roll for truth

Comment

Here is a refurbished Gateway w/win98
          From the Gateway site
          Ignorance can be remedied, stupidity cannot.

Comment

Jarhead6073,

Gimmie some details. What is the specific reasons why she needs 98SE. ME and Win2k should be able to run most 98 apps. Exceptions are out there so I'd need to know specifically what programs she needs.

I have been in it for 6 years and it wouldn't surprise me if you have a dumbass IT tech that doesn't know 2k, XP, or has had problems with them so writes it off as a bad OS rather than accept his/her own lack of knowledge.

Comment

So... order a new laptop and if it has Windows 2000 or XP on it, reformat it and load Windows 98.
              No partner is worth your tears -
              the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

Right now I'm basing os system needs on what the desktops at her office are using. And the dinosaur of a laptom that she has now is even using win95. Like I said I still need to make 100% sure before I buy a new comp. So I'll be checking with the IT guy on Monday. Since this is only going to be a work computer I was hoping to get one with an 800MHz-1GHz P3 instead of paying top dollar for one of the new P4's. That refurbished Gateway looks to be about what I'm looking for. I had no idea that they delt in used equipment. Thanks all.
                On the wings of a dove
                Let's roll for justice
                Let's roll for truth

Comment

I would think the work OS platform would be a networked system and thus running a version of Windows NT. I don't think the compatibility lies with the OS but with the software and their "extensions" for, ie: Word, Excel, Access, Powerpoint, E-mail applications, etc.

My place runs NT throughout, and I use Win98, as does 3 other computers at the PD. The Sgt's., LT. & Chief are on NT, and there are 2 other officers that use XT.

There have been no problems with any of them "sharing information" with the mainframe. One thing I did notice with XT is that it appears that they have loaded all the drivers for whatever you might need. With my Win98, I have to search for the appropiate disc.

I don't know if the Mrs. has the need for it but an infared port is handy to have. No need to hook up a cable to a printer, etc that is infared compatible. I type my report, aim it at the printer, and print. I noticed that this wasn't on the Dell or Sony that 2 of the guys at work just got. I assume it's an option.

And don't forget, if it's used for work.. it's a tax deduction.
                  " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

If you are interested in refurbished such as the Gateway site, I would suggest you check the Dell site. They have some excellent refurbished systems at a reasonable price, and I am sure you could find a laptop with Win98 on it.
                    "Why is it that our children cannot read the Bible in school, yet they can in prison?"

Comment

I recently purchased a refurbished Dell laptop (Inspiron 4100 w/ DVD and the upgraded XGA+ display) for slightly over $1100; at the time, a brand new custom-built version with the same spec's was well over $1400. The prices on the Celeron and Mobile Pentium III models have come down since then, due to the introduction of the Mobile Pentium 4.

At that time as well (early February) almost all had WinXP Home installed as the OS; only a couple had Windows ME. I doubt you'd find any with Windows 98, as that has not been the "current" OS for at least a couple of years (which is forever in the computer industry).

I suggest that if you're thinking about a refurbished Dell (both desktop and laptop), make sure you go over to the brand-new side (open a new window so it's easier) and price a new one with the same spec's. Dell sometimes offers really good deals on their new computers, and have been known to match (or even beat) the price of an identical refurbished model.

The advantage of a refurbished model is that you get it a lot faster (in my case, a week on the standard ground shipping) since they don't have to build it to order first.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4130 users online. 215 members and 3915 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X