• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to test body armor

here's the link

Man dies in body armor accident
    26-year-old stabbed in 'demonstration'
    By Kieran Nicholson, Denver Post Staff Writer

A 26-year-old man was stabbed to death when he donned a bullet- proof vest and the victim's uncle plunged a knife into his chest to test the body armor, police said.

The stabbing happened about 2:45 p.m. Friday at a home on the 9900 block of West 20th Avenue, said Steve Davis, a Lakewood Police Department spokesman.

Gabriel Aranda, 26, was taken to St. Anthony's Central Hospital, where he died a short time later, Davis said.

Amando Aranda, 32, the victim's uncle, was arrested on suspicion of first degree murder, Davis said.

"The suspect and victim were trying to demonstrate their belief that this type of protective vest could withstand a knife attack," Davis said. "Obviously that was incorrect."

The knife pierced the victim's heart, Detective Mike Rushford said.

Also in the home at the time of the incident were two boys, a 14- year-old and a 4-year-old.

The victim and Amando Aranda planned to show the teenager "what the vest could protect against," according to court documents.

Amando Aranda used a "long black-handled knife" from the kitchen and "poked" his nephew once, according to an arrest affidavit.

The two men had previously carried out the same demonstration four or five times in front of witnesses without injury, Amando Aranda told investigators.

In an attempt to save Gabriel Aranda, Amando Aranda used his finger to plug the knife wound in the victim's chest until paramedics arrived, the affidavit said.

The two men had shared a pint of whiskey, drank beer and smoked marijuana before the fatal demonstration, the affidavit said.

Aranda appeared in court Monday and has another court appearance scheduled Wednesday, said Pam Russell, a spokeswoman for the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office.

Aranda is being held without bond at the Jefferson County Jail.

Marilyn Robinson of The Denver Post contributed to this report.
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. " -- ???

This sounds like a potential candidate for a Darwin award.
    People always tell the truth. The trick is knowing what to listen for.

Comment

Is this kosher? There WAS a Darwin Award* given to a Russian policeman who died under a very similar set of conditions - he had his friend stab his bulletproof vest.

(* Even though the Darwin Awards are usually more urban legend than anything else, did Jayson Blair write this article? )

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by PeacefulDragon:
        "The suspect and victim were trying to demonstrate their belief that this type of protective vest could withstand a knife attack," Davis said. "Obviously that was incorrect."

Obviously I fear sharp, pointy things as much or more than I do bullets.

quote:
        The two men had shared a pint of whiskey, drank beer and smoked marijuana before the fatal demonstration, the affidavit said.

LMAO - why doesn't this surprise me

Comment

Any truth to the rumor that his last words were, "hey, ya'll watch this"?
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

This happens so often, you'd think that people would know by now that vests don't protect against knives.

Mike
            "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

quote:
              Understatement of the year.

This is simply evolution at work -- nature's way of weeding out the stupid.

This reminds me of a video news clip I saw years ago, when bullet-resistant vests were just becoming popular. A reporter donned a vest and had someone stand about 3 feet away and shoot him with a .22.

Apparently, the journalism degree doesn't require any physics, because he never took into account the idea of 'kinetic energy'.

What followed was footage of the reporter jumping up and down, rolling on the ground and uttering a string of bleeped expletives.

The vest DID stop the bullet. But the reporter ended up with a busted rib. Gives new meaning to the phrase 'taking one for the team'.

[ 06-26-2003, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: kirch ]
              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

That's why they're called "Bullet Proof" and not "Knife Proof" vests......

Have any of you ever seen the videos of the founder of Second Chance shooting himself in the chest to demonstrate his vests? Pretty ballsy, he did it numerous times. You'd have to have confidence in your product to do that!
                I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Comment

I read an article in some magazine not too long ago about a vest sales rep that would prove the effectiveness of his company's vests by having himself shot several times a week.

He claimed he got used to the pain after the first 100 or so rounds. He just made sure that he didn't take a round in the same spot before the bruising went away.
                  Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

quote:
                    Amando Aranda, 32, the victim's uncle, was arrested on suspicion of first degree murder, Davis said.

Does anyone else have a problem with this? The guy is obviously an idiot. However, doesn't first degree murder require intent? Based on the information provided, he did not INTEND to kill his nephew. It seems to me that it was an unfortunate incident, and a needed cleansing of the gene pool, but there was no malice involved.

quote:
                    In an attempt to save Gabriel Aranda, Amando Aranda used his finger to plug the knife wound in the victim's chest until paramedics arrived, the affidavit said.

This doesn't sound like premeditated murder to me.

quote:
                    The two men had previously carried out the same demonstration four or five times in front of witnesses without injury, Amando Aranda told investigators.

Assuming that this statement is accurate, stupid or not, he assumed that his nephew was not in any real danger. While I agree that this guy is a moron, I don't think this constitutes a first degree murder charge. I would think criminal negligence would be a factor here. Manslaughter, maybe?

What do you all think?

[ 06-27-2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: daviscmp ]
                    C. Davis

"Let us not forget those who gave their tomorrows for our todays"

Comment

quote:
                      What do you all think?

I agree there was an apparent lack of intent. Perhaps the DA just wants to start negotiations strong.
                      Bill R

Comment

Manslaughter maybe. Felony Stupid...absolutely!
                        Paul

Comment

Hey Darwin, could you come over here fore a second?
                          "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's lost, you can't get it back." --drunkhunter

Comment

quote:

You read stories like this all the time, like the Chante Mallard case. And yet Marijuana backers still state no one has ever died due to its use. Maybe not from overdose but things like this happen all the time that could possibly have been avoided if they had not been high. Some people are just dumb.

Comment

Ohh! This is right up my alley!

Those guys are bona fide idiots. This is what happens when you mix stupid with intoxication and throw in weapons.

Richard Davis, the founder of Second Chance, and the inventer of concealable body armor used to go around shooting himself because it was the only way to get people to take him seriously. He was wearing his armor completely concealed, so people would just freak out, thinking he'd killed himself.

Meanwhile, LEOs were still wearing the old school visible armor, and more were taking on lead to the extremities and head. (seems the bad guys would aim for something other than the vest) Nobody wanted to believe a vest so thin, as to be completely concealable, could protect a person.

I've seen the anti stab stuff being tested, and that stuff is cool. If you're in corrections, or working in an area where you're likely to get stabbed, or poked with a circular penetrator, get yourself a panel of ballistic felt, and wear it behind your vest, but outside your undershirt (itchy). It can save your life. The anti stab vests are not very supple, but even one 5mm layer - while not meeting the standard - will protect you pretty well. It'll sure as hell slow down a blade. I think they use 19 layers to meet the standard, which makes for one fat vest.

I had to sew a fiber arrangement into ballistic felt, and I'd rather fall on a rusty pitchfork than ever do that again. it does just what it's supposed to, it grabs the penetrator and won't let go. Which is great for trying to push a needle through it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4772 users online. 300 members and 4472 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X