300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrections to Patrol

Hello everyone. I have about 9 months left working in the jail here before I can go out to patrol. My question goes to anybody who may have had to work in a sheriff's office like mine where you have to do time in the jail first. What are the pros and cons of working in the jail for at least a year before hitting the streets? Thanks!
    "Why don't you go eat a decroted piece of crap!"

Working in a jail is some of the best experience a cop can get before going to the streets. You learn how to handle bg's and learn from them as far as their crimes, especially if you didn't grow up in that kind of environment. I know of a couple of smaller beach agencies that mandated their new recruits to work a 2-3 month stint in the county jail to get experience first.

Comment

Originally posted by Five-0fromSoCal
      Working in a jail is some of the best experience a cop can get before going to the streets. You learn how to handle bg's and learn from them as far as their crimes, especially if you didn't grow up in that kind of environment. I know of a couple of smaller beach agencies that mandated their new recruits to work a 2-3 month stint in the county jail to get experience first.
      I agree. I worked in the jail before becoming a patrol officer. It makes all the difference in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Tennsix
        I agree. I worked in the jail before becoming a patrol officer. It makes all the difference in the world.
        Exactly what he said.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

I third that opinion! Everyone should work in the jail first, academy doesn't do crap for officer safety compared to being hands on in the jail.
          The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
          Ronald Reagan

Comment

You'll definately have an edge over those that go straight to the streets in that you'll recognize the local turds right away. If you see somebody come through the jail 10 time for drugs and DWLR and you see him driving...bingo..easy drug bust.

Good luck on the road, you'll have a blast.

Gibbmusic
            Okay, just how big were those two beers sir?

Comment

Jail matures you fast ..... If you can't make it there you would never make it on the streets

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3809 users online. 245 members and 3564 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X