300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSA Idiots!

My wife just was telling me about yet another TSA bungle. An elderly female friend of hers was returning from a trip to Europe. When she returned to the U.S., she was ushered into a sideroom in the airport and forced to submit to a strip search. Now this is a little old lady - what brainless idiot decided she could somehow be a threat? Maybe it was the same submoron who refused to let General Foss continue through the airport with his CMH.

Why do we as free Americans continue to allow this crap to happen?
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Hey, she was old, she didn't have much to live for anymore, so she literally wanted to go out with a bang! I'm not so sure being old automatically precludes one from being a potential terrorist.
    Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
    -Mark Twain

Comment

If she was returning from Europe...are you sure it was TSA? I've never encountered them on entry to the US...could it have been Customs?

Comment

I agree with Deputy 757...having entered the country via LAX, San Francisco, Chicago O'Hare, and Washington-Dulles, I have yet to see a TSA person at such ports of entry. Milling about the airport terminals yes, but in terms of actually working I've only seen them at the screening devices.

Most likely this involved US Immigration or US Customs, not TSA personnel.

Comment

It could have been Customs. Either way, it is inexcusable.
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Little old ladies can't be a threat these days? Why not? Why is it inexcuseable? What if she's from Chechnya, or an eastern European nation with a large Muslim community with known Al Queda operatives? What if she's flying in from Ireland and has IRA ties? Or from Germany with Red Faction connections? Or from Palestine with Hamas ties?

Why can't old ladies be terrorists too?!

(well, okay, I mean, besides her being a friend of your wife's, but still, is it smart to say "ok, she's an old lady and a friend of Ateamer's wife, not a terrorist, move on to the next"?)

[ 06-25-2003, 04:10 PM: Message edited by: CiaJ ]

Comment

Not many people do and for once I agree with CJ.
              From looking out the "window" you would not think she would have the ability to blow the plane up or whatever.
              But enemies adapt. It should not take an eldery person to blow someting up beofore we start to look at them too.
              Plus who knows what info those agents were provided. People may see you stop and contact someone (for a proper reason) but think you are harassing a minority or bothering an old lady.

TGY
              Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Where did I say to let her pass because she's a friend of my wife's? Anyone with some common sense can see from looking at her and talking to her that she is a lifelong American citizen, with no indicators to tie her to terrorist groups. It was a random search; her number came up. Does anyone really believe a little old grandmother would be blowing up a plane?

This is not the opinion of someone who was just passing by and saw it happening, this is coming from the lady herself. That's a lot different.

I was subjected to a random search last summer at San Jose International when flying to Seattle. The guards picked me to step aside and be damn-near strip searched while they let a Muslim wearing traditional Muslim garb pass through unmolested.

Despite September 11th, the Constitution is still in effect, as should be common sense.

[ 06-25-2003, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: ateamer ]

Comment

I think profiling people to give them some extra scrutiny is a great idea (as long as its done right). However, if there is ANY group of people (little ol' American granny's included) that we're not willing to include in the random searches, then I think its pretty much guaranteed that the next bombing will be from someone in that group.

Just because you're old and female doesn't mean you're incapable of having a radical idealogy.
                  Also, she could be carrying explosives given to her (in the guise of something benign) or planted on her by someone else without her knowledge. It wouldn't be the first time that a plane was blown up using this tactic.

Just my $.02
                  "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. " -- ???

Comment

Searching baggage is one thing. Strip searches are another. We can't even legally strip search arrestees until they are housed in a cell, after having the opportunity to post bail. There is talk of a pending court case which may limit that to felons only. The only other way we can strip search an arrestee upon intake is with articulable facts which justify a strip.

I think random searches are a bad idea. Random work produces random results.

Comment

I think it might have been a little much, but someone could have easily planted something in her purse or carry-on luggage. Think about it, if I were a terrorist on an airplane...I'd rather drop a bomb in the pocket of the least suspect-looking person. A frail elderly lady, than to be caught with it.

But..since I'm not and never will be a terrorist, it's just a point of view.
                      "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

My friend works at the local hospital and she said that many of the drugs mules coming in with stomach pains from swallowing are late middle aged. The dealers know that stereotyping goes on so they look for alternatives so the search might not be totally unfounded.
                        Although saying that TSA staff did take a GI Joe M16 off of an English tourist who had bought the doll for her grandson, the reason; IMMITATION FIREARMS ARE PROHIBITED! She would have looked good hijacking a plane with a two inch bit of molded plastic.

Comment

Everybody seems to be looking at this issue from a terrorist angle. If it's involving US Customs, it's probably something more simple than that: they probably felt that she was trying to smuggle something in undeclared, either because it's something you cannot bring into the US (such as banned foods like Canadian meat due their recent outbreak of Mad Cow Disease) or something that she would have had to pay duty for, because it exceeded her duty-free allowance.

Many years ago, my Dad got strip searched by US Customs at LAX. But it was his own damn fault; he bought a really nice Rolex watch in Hong Kong and didn't think he had to declare it The agents searched his suitcase, found the watch, and that was their justification for a strip search.

And while this lady may have been elderly, after working in LE I no longer consider someone who is aged to automatically be nice -- or honest. Some of the nastiest, most dishonest people I've ever met have been those that society has traditionally regarded as being non-threatening, such as clergy, and the elderly. I treat everybody with equal suspicion until proven otherwise.

Comment

quote:
                            Originally posted by Leigh Harrington:
                            She would have looked good hijacking a plane with a two inch bit of molded plastic.

Remember the September 11 hijackers used nothing more than plastic-handled shaving razors. Up until then nobody would've thought twice that a disposable Bic razor would have contributed to the murder of nearly 4,000 people.

Comment

So how many little old grannys have been involved in terrorists incidents? For that matter, how many terror acts have been committed in the U.S. since 911?
                              Retired

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3264 users online. 156 members and 3108 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X