Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know we just want this to end but....

"The report also cites Morse as saying he struck Jackson after the handcuffed youth grabbed his testicles, causing "extreme pain."

"An attorney for Jackson's family told the Times that he was skeptical of the police report. Joe Hopkins said he believes that all four Inglewood officers at the scene "took turns" beating Jackson before the videotaping began."

"What we see on the tape is the second beating," he said.

Once again, I only have one question: why is there NEVER any mention of how the officer got the cut over his ear? Let me guess, it was self-inflicted.

BTW, the Mayor of Inglewood has called for video cameras in patrol cars. Hmmm, and he's going to pay for this how? I have my concerns, but I'm all for the equipment. It'll do more good than harm and hopefully will quiet these flame-fanning liberals like the "Reverend" Sharpton and the lawyers like Alan Dershowitz.

[ 07-14-2002: Message edited by: THolderead ]
    "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Why not just put a damn defense lawyer in every police car, to go with the video, and the audio and every other CYA instrument that can possibly be made available.

Comment

I think it would help to have a police officer on the jury in these cases, and at least require the other jurors to pass an IQ test.

My dh reported for jury duty last week and was promptly dismissed by the defense lawyer just because he had his own business and his wife (me) didn't need to work. The last time he reported for jury duty (in a case involving the shooting of a police officer), he was dismissed (again, by the defense) as soon as they found out he was a married man with 10 children and a decent job.

It just totally disgusts me to see the way they dumb down jurys.

The last time I was in court watching a case in which a cop was on trial, the judge refused to dismiss a juror who said three of his close friends had recently been in trouble with the police and he didn't think the police had treated his buddies fairly (they had searched his buddies for "no reason" and found a gun on one of them - surprise!)

Comment

They didn't give me a reason why I was dismissed but I know why...I said I would not give a $2 million settlement because a man lost a foot when he was hit by a companies truck. I said I agree he needed to be compensated for his pain and suffering but $2 million...nope. They asked me why. I said, "This could very easily put this company out of business.....What about the families that work for it? I saw him in the hall. He walks quite well with his prosthetic foot and is capable of working. Why should he never have to work again and the lawyers get richer when families may lose houses, cars, food?" I added that my H works with a disability and no one handed him $2 million dollars. Many of us work with disabilities. I agree he should have ben very well compensated, but not 2 million dollars.

Comment

You know, I'm 47yo and have never once been called for jury duty! I don't get it. I have a driver's license and am a registered voter, yet never once have I been called.

Comment

Originally posted by ThaliaMoser:
            I think it would help to have a police officer on the jury in these cases, and at least require the other jurors to pass an IQ test.
            In California, most full-time peace officers are exempted from having to do jury duty. If one does get a jury questionnaire, there's a box they can check on the form indicating such.

As far as the others, you've answered your own question as to why it would never happen: "It just totally disgusts me to see the way they dumb down jurys."

Comment

"An attorney for Jackson's family told the Times that he was skeptical of the police report. Joe Hopkins said he believes that all four Inglewood officers at the scene "took turns" beating Jackson before the videotaping began."

"What we see on the tape is the second beating," he said.
              ][/QB]
              That lawyer should be promptly disbarred and sued for slander. There is no excuse for him to tell such lies. Besides, like most lawyers, he doesn't care about justice. He only cares about making his next million.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Are all police officers exemp from jury duty?

And what about recruits, are they still required to serve? Got summoned for the end of july and i was just curious.
                "To each his own"

Comment

Thalia, I'm 52, have a driver's licence and am registered to vote. But this was my first call to jury duty.

Comment

All peace officers in California are exempt from both civil and criminal juries.
                    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

41y.o. teacher/cop...no jury duty so far......
                      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                      -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

I talked to a friend of mine the other day. It turns out that he was the EMT that treated BOTH Morse and Jackson. He told me that when he treated Morse, he complained of pain in his groin area. When my friend asked him what happened, Morse told him that Jackson grabbed him there. He also told me that Morse was embarrassed about his injury and was reluctant at first to tell him about it.

My friend told me that when he tried to treat Jackson, that Jackson was very hostile towards him. With the assistance of a few officers and paramedics, they were able to get him on to their gurney. One wrist was handcuffed to the gurney and the other was free. He was then put into the back of the ambulance. My friend told me that Jackson started slapping at him when he tried to treat him.

He also told me that he did hear racial slurs when he was there. The person uttering these slurs was Jackson himself. Apparently, he called him and the officers "cracker," "honky," "white-boy," etc. I asked him if he was "slow" to respond to instructions, as has been said in the media, and he said that Jackson had no problem whatsoever understanding and answering his questions and following his instructions. He said that Jackson remained hostile and rigid throughout the transport. He told me that his injuries consisted of minor cuts to the inside of his upper lip (from his braces) and a scratch across his neck, possibly from his necklace.

He told me he was interviewed by LASD's IA on Friday, and that he is very willing to testify before the grand jury, but he hasn't been subpoenaed. He also said that the media has the story all wrong. He has contacted a television station he used to work for, but they also are not expressing any interest in his story.

I guess no one is interested in hearing the truth. All they want to hear is what will further their political agenda. I hope my friend gets heard. I also hope that what he has to say can help bring out the truth.
                        A closed mouth gathers no foot. --Unknown

Comment

LOL I understand that. I saw a ad for a tv show I believe about the news and all. One of the slogans that I heard them say was "There is the truth, and then there is the news." I think that pretty much summs it up. The news could care less about the truth all they want is to sale papers or get veiwes for they are worshipping the almighty dollar.

Klar
                          Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

The more I'm hearing the more I think Officer Morse was justified. I can't believe the HUGE deal the media and others are making out of this. EVEN IF (big if) Officer Morse was not justified, it was only one punch!!! The way people are carrying on you'd have thought he was beat to death.

[ 07-17-2002: Message edited by: Bill R ]
                            Bill R

Comment

HNDLC3 Did your friend contact Morse's attorney? He should be interested in the truth.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3585 users online. 136 members and 3449 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X