300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lying about military history

I was talking the other day with someone from my academy class and we were discussing some of our classmates. One of them was a guy in his mid-40's that washed out about 3/4 of the way through. At various points throughout the time he was with us he told different members of the class the following:
    - He was a Navy Seal
    - He was Marine Recon
    - He took photos of the Ayatollah's funeral in Iran
    - He was in Iraq during Desert Storm
    - He was did time in Vietnam (yeah, I know the math doesn't add up)

Despite all this, he:
    - was average with his shooting in Firarms class
    - he talked back to our drill-instructor-style firearms instructor
    - was almost kicked out of firearms because he inadvertently pointed a loaded gun at a group of recruits
    - almost failed the firearms class because he couldn't remember how to do things in the right order.

Of course, if anyone started pointing out the inconsistencies in his stories, he would clam up and say he couldn't talk about it because it was "national security".

Am I the only one disgusted by this wannabe? I'm so glad he dropped out of the academy -- I can't imagine living in a community where someone like that is a cop.
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

---------------------
    Last edited by Bearcat06; 02-21-2012, 01:10 PM.
    "It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward...."

Comment

Although I did not have a guy like this in my academy or on the department, I have worked with a PI who claimed to be a former SEAL and was a "Surveillance Expert".

This same guy either got made or thought he was made on EVERY surveillance he did.

I did some checking and sure enough, he was in the Navy, and was some type of Air Traffic Controller that called in air support, evacs, etc., when the SEALs were out. SO I guess in a sense he was part of the "team", as you know how the military stresses teamwork.

He was part of the team, but far from being a SEAL.

I have found that most of these guys who spout off full of it. The real deals tend to keep it to themselves.
      "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

It's sad that folks feel they need to lie to make themselves look better or feel that it's the only way to get respect.

It all comes out in the wash anyway...

Piper
        (a gal with 28 years of Army Officer Brat experience*)

*Thanks to daddy.

Comment

yeah i agree. i know back when i was in 'Nam with general westmoreland, we............

I'll post, You argue.

Comment

wall of shame

Comment

We get them over here too.
              I was in the Royal Marines prior to joining the job. I once had a guy tell me he was in the Corps aswell. I started asking innocent questions like "what troop were you in in training" as you do. He said something like "B troop" I found this a bit weird as the troop numbers are made up of 3 digits (597 trp for me). The more questions I asked, the more cr*p he came out with. This was infront of a group of people aswell. What I can't figure out is how people like this still carry on lying, even though it must be soooooo obvious that they've been caught out.
              The artist formerly known as Soho Bandit

Comment

This has always irritated the living hell out of me. I spent seven years in the USMC and USMCR, and am pretty quick to catch on when someone starts lying about having been a Marine or in the Navy. My wife was in the Army, and I have a passing knowledge of how they operate (also trained with them on occasion), but I couldn't spot a fake USAF'er, except for one who claimed to fly F16's off carriers.

Ever notice that all the frauds claim to have done something high speed? Nobody ever lies about being a supply clerk or electrician.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHa, went to the 'Wall of shame' V funny. T**ts.
                  The artist formerly known as Soho Bandit

Comment

The frauds tend to stick with stories that make 'em hero-types. They don't care that the vast majority of soldiers (and other services) work towards supporting the few combat arms troops that do the sustained front line fighting.

I have actually met such bogus guys right in a Navy BX and twice in a PX. Jokers will try to bluff their way in and out past the checkout clerks so as to buy clothing items and awards & decortations.

Jim Burnes

Comment

Well...in a previous life, I DID serve with Her Magesty's Forces in India.
                      People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

All,

I only have one word to describe those types of people--P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C!!!!!

www.cyberseals.org: sorry I see that 555 beat me to the punch!

Grace (former Marine and proud supply clerk)

[ 07-11-2002: Message edited by: GRACE ]
                        "Life breaks us all and afterwards some are strong at the broken places."
                        --Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Comment

well back when i was fighting the chineese in the great war of the linen sox's... that off course is classified and no one but me knows about it, but i did get 124 confrim kill welf flying in my coast gaurd cutter... back then people never lied about anthing...

just for the info i am damn proud to be going to enlist in the army to be an MP or Dog Training...

can someone tell me if the dog trainers in the army or people who walk the generals dog, or are they more like k-9's and SAR dogs? i don't want to end up spending 8 years walking the genrals poodle...

Comment

if only i could spell someone would think i really did do all that stuff... oh well i think you can figure out what i ment

Comment

Originally posted by ferret:

just for the info i am damn proud to be going to enlist in the army to be an MP or Dog Training...

can someone tell me if the dog trainers in the army or people who walk the generals dog, or are they more like k-9's and SAR dogs? i don't want to end up spending 8 years walking the genrals poodle...
                              Ferret,

Hey! Being an MP IS HIGH SPEED!

Becoming an MP Dog handler gives you great experience, but it would be a bit more tedious than a civilian LEO. The recruiting office (USAF and Army) will most likely have films that explain it. Don't expect it to be the same as civilian, the military mission is way different.

And to clear thing up, Army Generals have large, ravenous beasts of dogs. Air Force Generals have poodles

Jim Burnes

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4577 users online. 290 members and 4287 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X