300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WEIRD DREAMS

I was just wondering if I was the only L.E.O. that has dreams of fighting and shooting at the bad guys...and when I go to punch one, my arm goes limp!! Worse yet, in my dreams sometimes, I'm in the middle of one hellacious fire fight and I pull the trigger, hear the "BANG" and watch the bullet just roll out of the end of my barrell and fall on the ground!! Wonder what causes that...maybe I should go to a dream interpretation web-site, LOL.
    ALPHA4

Alpha,

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on this one, I have had several of these dreams and I have never won the first one. I have even had a couple where the weapon melted or fell apart in my hand when I pulled the trigger.
    Can't explain it , ABSOLUTELY hate it though.

------------------
    B-Blue/Brown
    U-Uniforms
    S-Standing
    T-Together
    B-Blue/Brown
    U-Uniforms
    S-Standing
    T-Together

Comment

They are very common. Several LEO texts have discussed the issue of dreams , especially in the context of post-critical incidents.

Comment

There are two ways to approach this problem; and often what works best is a combination of both.

Often, people find that there is a familiar sequence of dream events or feelings that lead up to the onset of the nightmare.

During your waking hours- try to train your conscious mind that you WILL recognize this sequence of events next time it occurs in dream state. Tell yourself over and over again: "Next time the dream begins, i WILL recognize it. I CAN control the consequences and outcome of my dreams"

If you can insert that critical moment of conscious recognition- instead of lapsing into full dream state- you may be able to utilize a lucid dream; and maybe even have a little fun with it.

For instance: i used to have a recurring nightmare from childhood that i was being persued by oozing zombies whose sole purpose was to disembowel and devour me.

During my college years, as i learned about dream interpretation and analytical therapy; i decided to test out the lucid dreaming technique for myself. I told myself that i would recognize that same feeling of dread and fear that always accompanied the dream. One night, as i was running away from the zombies; i suddenly stopped and thought to myself: "Hey, i know this dream!". Then i stopped running, turned around to the zombies (who had also stopped running) and said to them "Who are you?". They looked at each other for a second, and shrugged. Then they turned to me and said "Guilt, i guess". That was my waking moment, and i recall thinking that the zombies had looked a little sheepish or embarrassed at the end of the dream. I realized what i was feeling guilty about- and i never had that nightmare again.

The second way to approach the problem is therapy. Are these dreams that you are having only occasionally recurring, or are they persistent? If they are persistent- you may want to think about trying analytical/ interpretive therapy. Once the root cause of the dream is identified- it should disappear.

Just an idea off the top of my head: it sounds like the dreams you both describe may be a manifestation of work- related stress. It is VITALLY important that an LEO take FULL control over every situation that they are called to- otherwise the consequences could be dire- for themselves, or any third party involved.

This really is an ENORMOUS amount of pressure and responsibility for any human being to be under- to have to be fully in control of every situation; at all times. Sometimes- no matter how hard you try- it may just be impossible to take effective control; and then what happens? It's no wonder so many officers suffer from anxiety, depression, and burn- out.

Nightmares are usually messages from your sub- conscious, alerting you to something about your state of mind. Hope this helps a bit

[This message has been edited by blondie72 (edited 04-14-2001).]
        [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

Alpha, email me

[email protected]

Comment

Performance Anxiety.

Comment

Ok, since this is a thread about dreams, let me tell you one of mine. I started having this recurring night mare right after I started in LE. It would come to me several times a year and continued for many years.

The nightmare itself was that I was in a restaurant/bar combination. The tavern portion of this building had a bar with sort of a
              6P1 (retired)

Comment

I remember we discussed prerecognition on the "police psychics" thread.

I think your dream was prerecognition, Don
                [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

I had this strange dream once; I dreamed I was a loss prevention officer in a grocery store, when I caught this low life stealing everything he could get his hands on. As I busted him, he screamed for his friends to save him, and I was being chased by a pack of about 20 low lifes throughout the store! I ran fron aisle to aisle, but they kept after me(I never was much of a runner). As I rounded a corner, I grabbed and knocked down a big display of cooking oil, and it splattered everywhere. As I looked back, the dirtbags were after me, and then slipped and fell like crazy; looked like a 3 Stooges movie!
                  I woke myself up laughing like a crazy hyena; my wife thought I had lost my mind! I then explained the situation to her, and she thought it was rather hilarious, too!
                  Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

I've had dreams where I unload an entire magazine into someone and they don't even flinch, and keep coming. Same with pepper spray. More frequently though I do kill them and then nobody believes me and I'm all stressed out trying convince people I was justified. In general I'd say I have a greater fear of the media hyenas and bureaucrats who would feed us to the meat grinder than back us up on a judgement call than I do of being killed in the line of duty.
                    I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Comment

tcsd is correct and I wish I could remember the text I saw it in. I do believe Caliber Press was teaching alittle about this in their Street Survival Seminars.

Like many, my dreams on occassion would have one of two things happen when I fire my weapon at a person shooting at me.

1) The bullet would drop out of the barrel or go very slow, like slow motion.
                      2) It was near impossible to squeeze the trigger, having to use two fingers from each hand to fire it.

Stay Safe!

Comment

Me, too. I've had dreams where I've shot at people point blank & they didn't stop or hit people & they didn't budge or tried to shoot & the gun wouldn't fire. It's strange but it's a just a dream. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

I have had recurring dreams involving Frankenstein where I know I should not go into the dark room & I know what's in there but I do it anyway.

There might be some explanation to them but it's beyond me. I've had situations that, when it happens, I believe I've dreamed it beforehand.

Dreams are wierd. I'm still trying to remember all the details of the one with Kathy Ireland & the whipped cream.

Comment

Originally posted by GDenman:
                          I'm still trying to remember all the details of the one with Kathy Ireland & the whipped cream.
                          Hey GD,

If your lucky maybe this one is precognition!

------------------
                          Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
                          6P1 (retired)
                          6P1 (retired)

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Signal-1:
                            2) It was near impossible to squeeze the trigger, having to use two fingers from each hand to fire it.

I have had a similar dream like this also, I beleieve I read somewhere that this is a common type dream for LEO's.

I also have had dreams that I was making love to two beautiful woman and.....oops thats for another thread....I must be dreaming again.

[This message has been edited by Mr.Orange (edited 04-16-2001).]
                            "are you going to bark all day little doggie or are you going to bite"

Comment

yep, performance anxiety.

the residual stress and worry over the possibility of being hurt or failing to protect someone else.

Mine always involved my failing to perform with a partner or civilian being hurt as a result...like, if I don't get this guy he's gonna shoot my partner...then my gun doesn't work...guy kills me and I'm dying scared that my partner (or whoever) is also gonna die as a result.

I don't know who said that you can't dream that you die in a dream or else you wake up or actually die in real life. i've dreamed that i've died probably hundreds of times.

Blondie's advice on lucid dreaming is right on. Sounds kinda mumbo jumbo but I swear that it's not. Once you get the hang of it, you can really have alot of fun with it. There have been a few times where my wife has woke me up because I was laughing in my sleep!!

Of course there are still some times when I wake up with a scream too, though.

The dreams that take a while are okay, I can pretty much control those, but often I have dreams that are just brief terror filled instants. literally just a flash...and I don't have time to exert any control over them.

like instead of all the events leading up to getting shot...it's just a flash of the gun in my face and BOOM!

i don't get stressed about this stuff...it's normal...just some subconscious anxiety about worrying about what COULD happen...

every now and then I have a bad dream, but I guess I got used to it a while ago. I just lay back down and go to sleep. It's pretty rare that they keep me up afterwards. Usually, if this does happen, it coincides with a recent increase in stress.

But, really, do check out the lucid dreaming thing...it's kinda cool.

Also, when I had a problem with this a long time ago....i kept a log of the dreams. As soon as i woke up...i jotted them down....man it all sounded strange the next day..

------------------
                              -Sparky
                              -Sparky

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6227 users online. 374 members and 5853 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X