• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kateykakes
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by huff317:
    Kakes, you better do well on the surgery and make a great recovery and all. You are one of the main reasons I read on this site!!
    Peace

huff,

You just made my day. Thank you so much for putting a huge smile on my face. You're a gem.

Leave a comment:

• CinaC
    replied
    Whenever I'm in the DC area, I always use the Metro. I wish Baltimore had such a great public transporation system (I wish Metro would extend up this way, to be honest).

Shorty: Metro has started updating its decor.

Leave a comment:

• Tprspouse
    replied
    KK!

I didn't know you were having surgery. My gosh girl....I hope everything goes well and I'll say a little prayer for ya.

About public transportation. Hate it. But, it's very convenient if you don't feel like driving in the big city. Where I live now, there really isn't any public transportation. But, when I lived in Mass, we'd occasionally go to Boston to see shows or go to Fanieul Hall Marketplace. Definitely took the Blue line in from Revere. If you can stand the smell of pee, you'll be o.k. blech. Other than that, I really haven't had any dislikes. But, I'd much rather my husband do the driving so we can take our own car into town.

I won't touch hand railings or anything. If I have to, I will wash my hands about 3 times. I'm very anal about that stuff in such a public area.

Whatever is best for everyone, that's my motto.

Best of luck to you!!!! [Wink]

Leave a comment:

• huff317
    replied
    Howdy to y'all!!

Just got back from a part of the world where the public transportation is camel, and the air conditioning isn't all that great. All that compliments of my good uncle....Sam. Forgot how good of a therapy y'all are, just reading about public transportation woes cracked me up the way a couple of you write...eeesh!
    Good to be back, glad to see everyone is doing mostly well.
    Kakes, you better do well on the surgery and make a great recovery and all. You are one of the main reasons I read on this site!!

Peace

Leave a comment:

• GRACE
    replied
    Katey,

Best Wishes with your surgery--hope for a speedy recovery!

I take the Coaster (train) from Oside to San Diego every once in awhile and have had no trouble. Heck, the train goes faster than the cars on the freeway. Our bus system isn't so bad either and they both are extremely cheap even with monthly passes!

Here in Southern California, public transportaion is becoming a must!

Shorty,

I used to do the same thing with the Metro when I was stationed in Quantico Va. We used to take the Amtrak to Union station, connect with the Metro downstairs, and head to the Pentagon City stop. It was awesome for sightseeeing as well. NEVER did have a problem at all.

Leave a comment:

• Blonde Heat
    replied
    I took the public transportation for the first time ever 1 month ago. Only cause i ran away from home and had no vehicle. I am 31 and i was scared to death. But the feeling after completing my mission was awesome. One more hurdle in my life overcame. I was so proud of myself.

Leave a comment:

• kateykakes
    replied
    Shorty,

At the hospital here in my town, that's exactly how it works. I never have to pay for parking when I have a doctor's appt.

In Philadelphia, however, it's a different story. For the hospital I was at yesterday, it was $5 for the first hour to park, $10 for the second, and $15 for 3+ hours.

I remember when my nephew was in Children's Hosp of Phil. (CHOP) for a brain tumor. I was there everyday to see him, and parking was ungodly. I didn't want to go through that again.

When I go back downtown this week, I'll either take Rumbler up on his offer, or just do the public transportation thing again. I'm just not used to using it, so it was an adventure for me, but it really wasn't that bad.

Leave a comment:

• shorty
    replied
    KateyKakes, I just thought of something that might apply to you.
    In our big medical city we have a lot of parking garages and decks for people to park in. You have to pay $5.00 to park, BUT if you bring your ticket that you get upon entering the parking deck, the doctors office will validate it and when we leave the deck, we give the ticket to the parking deck attendant and they just open the gates and let us out.. for free.
    Now, I realize we live at opposite ends of the world, but you might check with your doctors office and see if they do that.

Leave a comment:

• Sig220Man
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by kateykakes:
    From reading all of your posts, I see that you've traveled quite a bit. Where was your favorite place you've traveled to?

Having visited every single state west of the Rockies at one time or another, plus Washington DC, plus Canada between Victoria and Winnipeg, I still feel my most memorable vacations were the ones to the UK.

Of course, that now means quite a few Canadians are gonna be mad at me! [Eek!]

[ 10-19-2002, 04:04 AM: Message edited by: Sig220Man ]

Leave a comment:

• kateykakes
    replied
    Big-T,

Forgot to tell you, the doc is down at Jefferson. Ya help with the parking, and lunch is on me next time I see ya.

Leave a comment:

• n567
    replied
    Europe and cities on the east coast seem to have better public transportation that I've noticed. Out here on the west coast, we're definatly a more car-centric society...

Leave a comment:

• kateykakes
    replied
    T-bone,

You are a sweetie! Thanks for the offer. Without a doubt, I will take you up on it. Parking in Philly sucks!

Leave a comment:

• Rumbler
    replied
    Dear Snookums(AKA TASTYKAKES)
    I have the option of riding for free-armed with a weapon-I would pay the $15 dollars- its less headache and frustration. Where is the Doctor located and I may be able to provide you with a less expensive parking area.

Leave a comment:

• Mitzi
    replied
    When we went to Washington, we were VERY impressed at the public transportation system. The only time we had to use our car was to park it in the subway parking lot and we stayed quite a distance from Washington.

Leave a comment:

• Quiet1
    replied
    I have not used public transportation here in the U.S., only heard stories.

The first time I ever used public transportation was in Paris. Arrived at the train station, got a map for their subway, and already had one of the city. Figured out where on the map the hotel was, and then made my way to the platform. Their maps are incredibly easy to use! I never got off on a wrong stop, or took the wrong train. And it was dirt cheap! I think we could learn a thing or two from the Europeans about public transportation.

I'd have to say they were very clean in general. After we exited the train one time, I was mentioning the strong chemical-like smell in that car. That's when my son told me the kid next to him was spraying paint into a paper bag and then huffing it.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4322 users online. 274 members and 4048 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X