Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kalmath Falls situation - what do you think?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kalmath Falls situation - what do you think?

I am paying attention to the Kalamath
    Fall, OR incident involving the farmers
    there. I am just going to keep this
    one short, and to the point on this one.

I am in full support of the farmers up
    there. All this crap over some worthless
    sucker fish, and it isn't even endangered.
    Matter of fact, it is a bottom fish, which
    means farmers using the water are not even
    going to effect it anyway.

I support the farmers, because they have
    families, too, and they need to make a living. I like the idea of knowing that
    because of American farmers, I am getting
    the safest food money can buy. I really
    don't like the idea of future food coming
    from Mexico, and other countries where
    they can use DDT and other lethal pesticides
    on their foods. Or where animals are
    defecating and uriniating on the food.

Our food has to meet high standards, I
    fully support the American farmer and
    his family, and greatly appreciate the
    hard work they put forth to feed us.

To those of you who don't support our
    American farmers, I suggest you go
    on a hunger strike and don't talk with
    your mouth full.

So where do you all stand????

I stand with the farmers! Another example of federal power gone haywire, and the abuse by a federal agency!

I say stop the cancerous growth of the federal government and let the states decide their future.

Retired
    Retired

Comment

Let the water flow. Sheriff told the feds to get out. Sheriff is top dog. Let the water flow. People over fish.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHighwayMan:
        I like the idea of knowing that
        because of American farmers, I am getting
        the safest food money can buy.
        You're getting the safest food money can buy because of FDA regulations and inspections, not because of American farmers. Do you think that if there wasn't any regulation, meat today would be as safe as it was before the laws passed in the early part of last century? As to pesticides, there are still dangerous ones being used in America, but not as bad as some used in foreign contries. Do you think this is really because of farmers, or do you think it's because the government regulates their use? Mexican farmers use DDT because it's cheap. I'm sure that if there weren't laws regulating its use in the USA, American farmers would use it too.

Comment

Patrick,

You are correct about the FDA being a big
          part of our food being so safe. On the
          other hand, more farmers are going away
          from lethal pesticides and going the organic
          route, because they get paid more for
          growing the organic way. While the FDA
          is make our food safe, unfortunately our
          same gov't is trying to end farming all
          together. Be sure to back our farmers
          and speak out now in their defense. If
          one does not speak out, they can not be
          heard.

MAC 90 - are you serious? Did the Sheriff
          of the Klamath Falls area kick the Feds out?
          If this is true, I am going to write that
          Sheriff a wonderful letter of thank you's
          and praise.

Comment

I'm 100% behind the farmers in this one. IMO, the EPA, et al, has GRAVELY overstepped their authority.
            "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
            -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

Patrick,

Don't you think the states are capable of passing legislation that would safeguard the meat? Because the feds did it, it is better? States are quite capable of doing the same job and better.

Retired
              Retired

Comment

Curious. How many speaking for the farmers are police officers? Would be strange to see officers on one subject saying that the law is the law, obey it. If you don't like it, get it changed, but don't break it. That would be a double standard, wouldn't it? Selective enforcement?

Comment

I am seriously out of touch here. Can anyone give me a clue what this is all about?
                  "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program" ~George W. Bush, November 2, 2000

Comment

Excalibur,

Retired is obviously retired. Mac and Patrick are not cops and you will not turn this into a drug law comparison. Got it?

Comment

Originally posted by retired:
                      Patrick,

Don't you think the states are capable of passing legislation that would safeguard the meat? Because the feds did it, it is better? States are quite capable of doing the same job and better.

Retired
                      Retired,

Sure, the states COULD have passed the same regulations about meat and other foods, but they didn't. Conditions of meatpacking plants were terrible in the early 1900s all over the place. Everyone knew it yet the states did nothing. The laws aren't better because they are federal, but the feds were the only ones who were proactive. Actually, the one good thing about having federal regulations in this industry is so you can ensure that food from each state meets the same standards. If certain states had lax regulations, where do you think the meatpacking companies would decide to set up shop?

Honestly though, all that has nothing to do with the original situation. Who cares about a damn fish anyway? I doubt the earth's ecosystem is going tumble into disrepair because a few of these fish die.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: PatrickM98 ]

Comment

We were stationed in Klamath Falls for two years and I'm definately with the farmers.

Connie

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: Pnutt ]
                        Illegitimus non carborundus!

Comment

I didn't say a word about drugs, Niteshift. I just asked a question based on what some officers have said about "the law is the law". Is it or isn't it?

BTW, I'm for the farmers, of course.

Comment

I can see where you were headed. I merely warned you before you got there.

Comment

Originally posted by PatrickM98:

You're getting the safest food money can buy because of FDA regulations and inspections, not because of American farmers. Do you think that if there wasn't any regulation, meat today would be as safe as it was before the laws passed in the early part of last century? As to pesticides, there are still dangerous ones being used in America, but not as bad as some used in foreign contries. Do you think this is really because of farmers, or do you think it's because the government regulates their use? Mexican farmers use DDT because it's cheap. I'm sure that if there weren't laws regulating its use in the USA, American farmers would use it too.
                              I beg to differ!
                              As a 3rd generation family farmer, I can assure you that NO farmer wants to use any more pesticide than is ab-so-loutely necessary to keep insects from infesting the produce. The profit margin is so small, that no farmer in their right mind would waste money on unnecessary applications.
                              In addition, my family and I live on the farm......(as do thousands of other farm families)...do you honestly think that we would subject our loved ones to dangerous/unnecessary applications of poison?????
                              As for imported produce, thank your FDA/USDA for allowing it to be imported with less stringent guidelines (and higher residues of banned pesticides) than US farmers are held accountable.
                              Carefully direct your broad brushsrtokes toward corproate farms, which favor bottom line over food safety, and pay greater attention to "Country of Origin" in order to avoid dangerous pesticide residue.
                              Ya hit a nerve......things are not boding well for the family farm, and once they are gone, and a few corporate entities control the majority of the food growing/processing/distribution, they will do the same to the American consumer as the oil & power companies!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5251 users online. 291 members and 4960 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X