Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My phone dialed 911 on it's own.

Twice!

I got a loud knock on my door at 2:00 am this morning. I looked out my window to see a police car outside my house. I answer the door, and they ask me if I dialed 911. Nope. They made sure everything was fine and mentioned that I should call the phone company in the morning. 5:00 am...same thing. I think the two officers stayed for a total of 30 seconds this time.

The phone comany came by today and fixed the problem, (a short somewhere). So everything should be good now. I'm curious to know if this happens a lot?

On another note, the little green light that was affixed to the officers vest was really cool. I want to get one of those for writing down notes when I'm doing estimates on exterior home renos, (it gets dark early now). When he clicked it on, I felt like asking him about it, but...I was little sleepy.

Well, not a whole lot - but sometimes after storms we'll get open line static calls.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Potatohead
      Twice!

I got a loud knock on my door at 2:00 am this morning. I looked out my window to see a police car outside my house. I answer the door, and they ask me if I dialed 911. Nope. They made sure everything was fine and mentioned that I should call the phone company in the morning. 5:00 am...same thing. I think the two officers stayed for a total of 30 seconds this time.

The phone comany came by today and fixed the problem, (a short somewhere). So everything should be good now. I'm curious to know if this happens a lot?

On another note, the little green light that was affixed to the officers vest was really cool. I want to get one of those for writing down notes when I'm doing estimates on exterior home renos, (it gets dark early now). When he clicked it on, I felt like asking him about it, but...I was little sleepy.
      We've been out to a guy's house about eight times that has no active phone line at his house. We receive "911 Hangup" calls like clockwork. The supervisors won't let us cancel the call. It is great because he is a known drug-user. He loves it when we show up at his house.
      Sign here. Press hard. You are making five copies.

Comment

Alot during storms like willowdared wrote. The tell tale sign is when dispatch reports "static heard only" or "static on the callback".

Sometimes when the battery on the cordless phone gets weak (if the phone is programed to dial 911) it will call. I generally tell the public to always keep it on the charger so we don't come a knocking at 2am.
        This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
          Alot during storms like willowdared wrote. The tell tale sign is when dispatch reports "static heard only" or "static on the callback".

Sometimes when the battery on the cordless phone gets weak (if the phone is programed to dial 911) it will call. I generally tell the public to always keep it on the charger so we don't come a knocking at 2am.

"static on the callback" is exactly what the officer said. It's nice to know that you're out there, even if it was a false alarm. Darn bright flashlight through the window by the way, lol!

Comment

I can remember the ol' 911 hang-ups. Gotta love them. Especially the ones from the same address.

Comment

i ve never heard of a cell phone doing that, i know we had several land lines, with alarms on the houses do it, but nothing would suprise me, *also down here we dont have the programs in cell phones that when 911 is called, it gives your location, also you may be calling from okc and a dispatcher in tulsa might pick it up*

Comment

I was allowed to do some paper work out of the house since I work in a remote location, but I had to call in to let them know where I was on a phone credit card ... gubbermint issued. This would "document" where the call was logged from to "keep us honest" when reporting paper work and they would often call back to make sure you were at the house not "double dipping".

The credit card number contained a sequence like 3335911002 .... note the 911 in the middle of the code.

The first two times there was a knock at the door with a local asking to "come in and look around", I was kinda shocked but said sure, I understood they had to respond but couldn't figure out what happened.

Next time I used the card, the light went off, the 911 in the middle of the sequence was the trigger. I took out my shield and met the officer who arrived a few minutes later and showed him the credit card ..... pretty embarassed ... .... but I didn't want to get the pain-inna-*** award.

Comment

It's very common in cordless phones that right before the battery dies (for those who can't seem to charge it) that it makes a nice friendly call to 911...
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
                    i ve never heard of a cell phone doing that, i know we had several land lines, with alarms on the houses do it, but nothing would suprise me, *also down here we dont have the programs in cell phones that when 911 is called, it gives your location, also you may be calling from okc and a dispatcher in tulsa might pick it up*
                    CORDLESS not cell phone! We have a way to track cell phones, using the repeaters, but it takes forever!
                    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroguy
                      I was allowed to do some paper work out of the house since I work in a remote location
                      There's a remote location in Jersey???

I've been dispatched to a 911 hangup call from a house that didnt exist. Got to the address, all that was there was a foundation in a new housing complex. Phone guys were working on the lines and something went through.

'Eh, dispatch. Eh... uhmm... location checked secure. Hole in ground. House missing... sending codes.'
                      Stay safe.... or stay home.

Comment

Originally posted by Potatohead
                        "static on the callback" is exactly what the officer said. It's nice to know that you're out there, even if it was a false alarm. Darn bright flashlight through the window by the way, lol!
                        We HAVE to respond...even if "static is heard" or the dispatcher recalls the number and the person says" Opps I dialed the wrong #, I meant to call 4-1-1. Or any excuse".

WE ARE COMING and will check the house to insure there is not a problem. So many times we are "cancelled" by the homeowner, respond- only to find out "there WAS a problem." Usually an argument or fight.

Comment

Originally posted by deputy x 2
                          CORDLESS not cell phone! We have a way to track cell phones, using the repeaters, but it takes forever!
                          opps, dont know where i got that at,, *thanks for pulling my head out my butt*

Comment

Yeah - we had a couple chronic "ghost" calls - construction sites with exposed wires.

We always do a call back on hang-ups, if it's busy, we try twice then get the operator to interrupt and connect.
                            Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I had one down nine mile of gravel road to a house that had burned down ten years earlier. When I was a Kid, we had a phone with a panic button on the base unit, Which was sitting on a kitchen counter, The house-cats liked to step on it about four in the morning, neither the sheriff deputies or my Dad were terribly pleased, we got a new phone on third call.
                              Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3273 users online. 157 members and 3116 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X