Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Sheriff's Department and Police Department!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Sheriff's Department and Police Department!

I understand the whole County/City thing, but how do they differ when it comes to shootings and all that. In the area where I live, there has been quite a few shootings and the Sheriff's Department never get's mentioned, it is always the Police is it because it's within the city and not outside like in a rural area?

Jurisdiction. How it works out here is....If the city is incorporated then the police have jurisdiction. If the "city" is unincorporated then the Sheriff of the County has jurisdiction.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Typically Sheriffs operate on behalf of the court. They are responsible for holding inmates before having trial if necessary, serving court orders such as warrants and civil papers, as well as court security.

Police act on behalf of a city or county mayor or council.

How active a roll either part plays when they have the same jurisdiction is just a matter of which way the political winds are blowing, really.
      You have no right to not be offended.-Neal Boortz

Comment

Depends on the area-in Houston, both the police and sheriff's office are involved in shootings, seems the police a bit more.
        In Louisville, KY where I grew up, the SO was rarely involved in any while the PD had been in numerous incidents. But the difference in population and LE organization numbers are very different between the 2 cities.

Comment

Originally posted by lt93lover
          Depends on the area-in Houston, both the police and sheriff's office are involved in shootings, seems the police a bit more.
          In Louisville, KY where I grew up, the SO was rarely involved in any while the PD had been in numerous incidents. But the difference in population and LE organization numbers are very different between the 2 cities.

Same here.I work for a Sheriffs office and do all the same things the local PD guys do.In my career I have done everything from Murders to getting Cows off the roadway as a Sheriffs deputy.Just depends on the area.
          FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

I also work for a sheriff's office. We mainly work in unincorporated areas of the county or in towns that have contracted with us for police service. We also frequently back up police departments on calls and major cases.
            Looks like someone took their stupid pills today.

Comment

Well, as we like to say - the Sheriff is the supreme law enforcement officer in the county.

We provide all levels of law enforcement to unincorporated areas of the county, as well as for 9 cities that contract with us. We have SED (aka SWAT) air support, bomb/arson, gang detail, you name it - as well as staffing 7 jails, security for the courts and court services (formerly marshall's)

We also maintain the regional radio system, and are the psp for 911 in the county.
              Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

sigpic

Comment

I'm going to work for the E. Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office, inside our parish the Baton Rouge Police take calls inside the city limits. Basically we have jurisdiction over the entire parish of east baton rouge, the BRPD only has jurisdiction over the city of baton rouge. We can, and do, take calls in the city limits if they need help or we are requested, but they cannot take calls outside the city.

Comment

Originally posted by bullitt48
                  I'm going to work for the E. Baton Rouge Sheriff's Office, inside our parish the Baton Rouge Police take calls inside the city limits. Basically we have jurisdiction over the entire parish of east baton rouge, the BRPD only has jurisdiction over the city of baton rouge. We can, and do, take calls in the city limits if they need help or we are requested, but they cannot take calls outside the city.
                  Acutally BRPD can assist EBRSO if they need it, so yes they can respond out of the city linits if need be.
                  "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

irish i was under the impression they werent really supposed to go outside the city, i guess they meant they can assist us if we need it, they just dont do patrol and take normal calls outside the city. we have only discussed the issue for a few minutes in a class a month or so ago, I imagine we'll go into details about it in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv
                      Acutally BRPD can assist EBRSO if they need it, so yes they can respond out of the city linits if need be.
                      I assume it is like most places,if requested to go outside of their jurisdiction they are operating under the power of the Agency that is requesting and has the jurisdiction.
                      FILL YOUR HANDS!!!

Comment

in oklahoma in my small county it works like this. if it lies within the county line, its my jurisdiction. it doesnt matter if the town has a contract or not i can still work there or respond to a call there if i want to. of course the towns that have police i dont really patrol just because they have there dept. taking care of it and i go out into the rural areas. any time a i need help, the closest city will gladly send someone to assist. if i am getting shot at i can probably get help from people i didnt know were cops. other than that city officers just take care of their city. i have understood that up in the northern u.s. the sheriff's offices just run the jails and get the inmates back and forth to court and provide a baliff for court. i think a lot of them also serve the civil papers and subpeonas. in the south i think it sums it up to think of the sheriff's office as the county police. i dont answer to a council, the commisioners cant tell me anything to do. the sheriff and under sheriff are my only boss's. we are a small county with few deputy's so we dont have captains and LT's and the rest of the structured command.

Comment

Not quite, the Sherriff is elected and has absolute jurisdinction within the county.
                          He can take PD`s anytime.
                          Marshal`s are elected and have jurisdicdiction over any city in the Township.
                          Chiefs are appointed by politicions who are up to no good.
                          I knew a city PD cop that liked to stretch his jurisdiction. He was fired.
                          He was a very good cop. just a bit over eager. The Sheriff did not appreaciate it.
                          Lying about where the start of the pursuit took place did not help him.

Originally posted by deputy x 2
                          Jurisdiction. How it works out here is....If the city is incorporated then the police have jurisdiction. If the "city" is unincorporated then the Sheriff of the County has jurisdiction.
                          Last edited by marshaldan; 12-05-2005, 05:11 PM.

Comment

You own the county(Deputy)... Or the county owns you(Officer)....

In my eyes Sheriffs office is the place to be if you like doing things by yourself and out of the ordinary!
                            ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Jurisdiction

Can someone go one step further and explain all the various agencies and how the jurisdiction overlaps, etc.

You have PD, Sherriffs, highway patrol, customs, immigration, etc.

Here we have 1 police force and thats it. Its all covered by us. Hows it work? Who takes control of areas? If they both rerspond who is in charge? Does 'active pursuit' play a part in jurisdiction?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3098 users online. 136 members and 2962 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X