300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizen academy class

Wow! What an eye opener. It was awesome and so interesting. My first class was Homicide investigation and i was awed. It was even weird when one of the cases was from 1966 right around the corner from my house. It was a wonderful opportunity and i can't wait till the next class. i even got to meet Jack Ballentine ( the murder for hire detective) who even works out of Phoenix. It was amazing and i could go on for hours but anybody who gets a chance to take one of these citizens police academys DO IT. Even if you are an officer. You will love it.
    "To each his own"

What a coincidence. I am so glad you brought this up. In March, I was invited to apply for my city’s citizen’s academy. I submitted an application and passed the background check. (I am officially not a baddie.) Anyway, I now need to make a decision on whether to accept an opening in the class starting in September. The course is 16 weeks long. I'm going to think about it and give them an answer on Monday.

Comment

I always encourage families (esp spouses) of LEO's to go through the citizens academy. My wife did ours last year, and had a good time. She said it helped to put faces with names and understand some of the stresses and dangers I see at work. The traffic stop, evidence/ID, and jail tour sections were her favorites.

Comment

Oh, Lady, go to the class! I had so much fun and learned so much! Everyone was so nice and took lots of time to answer many questions. We all really enjoyed ourselves. I was the only one that couldn't hit the target when we went to the firing range! lol If I could take it again, you bet I would!

Comment

I would recomend this to anyone who is involved in LE. I did it myself while I was in college. A great experience. It can really teach you allot and open your eyes to what the real world is like, unlike what TV portyrays.

Comment

Lady, Go for it. It is one opportunity you WILL regret passing up. Its all i talked about all day. When i went last night, There were people who said some waited two years to get in. I was very surprised to see i got in three weeks after applying. I guess i have my boss at the station i volunteer with,to thank for this incredible opportunity. I was the only one who is trying to be an officer in the class though which also surprised me. I am down to one week before my test and i am running every day now. I also wanted to attend the women in LE seminar tommorow, but my boss at the store decided to take vacation and made me work on a saturday. I wanted to go so bad and even thought about calling in to work just to go, but i somehow can't be irresponsible and know she is counting on me. UGH! I hate this moral sense of obligation. Sometimes it sucks! Does anybody else have this problem? You want to call in, Your sick, or just positively need the day off and can't make yourself call in for fear of letting someone down?
            "To each his own"

Comment

Originally posted by ftrphxcop:
              I hate this moral sense of obligation. ! Does anybody else have this problem? You want to call in, Your sick, or just positively need the day off and can't make yourself call in for fear of letting someone down?
              Yes, I feel the same way. Problem is with me, I am the only one that can do the job so I can't call in sick. No one else knows how to do what I do.
              FREE Website Development for Law Enforcement
              <a href="http://police-websites.org" target="_blank">http://police-websites.org</a>

Comment

Well, I have decided to go for it, but, in the next class (starting in March). I made some obligations to my church that conflict with the time of the class and I do not want to give a half effort to either endeavor. The friend who invited me to attend has assured me that a spot will be held open for me.

A couple things I'm looking forward to are the jail tour and also shooting a gun (something I have never done before).

Comment

I don't think we get the jail tour but the shooting the gun is the last class before graduation. You will have a blast lady!

PWD, What kind of job do you do? Never mind, Half way thru the question it dawned on me. You are a police web developer. right? Really cool!
                  "To each his own"

Comment

Ok, I finished my last class and shot a gun and i am still alive. I was so scared. We all lined up and with our instructors and they went thru the basics. i got to shoot a glock 45 and i really liked it. I was shaking as it was and when the guy down the line shot first i screamed like a girl. Then i was ok after taking my very first shot. My instuctor said i recieved a score of 246 out of 250 being the best. Not bad for beginners luck. I also got a real eye opening look at what i will have to go thru in the academy. Its was kinda fascinating since most if not all recruits do not get this chance. I was sitting tjere thinking "Here's my warning and a close up view of what i will be doing"
                    It was kinda of funny though because everytime they informed the class of what they put the recruits through all eyes were on me. They wanted to see my reaction i guess. Like tough ole me is going to say nevermind i don't want to be an officer. (never) This is definataly the job for me. Better get prepared for being sprayed with OC Spray. Because i was forwarned. I got really nervous when he said recruits have to train to use a tazer gun. I thought for sure he was going to say they zap recruits so they can see how will feel. Well it was fun and i learned so much. I hope it helps me in the real academy.
                    "To each his own"

Comment

Hey ftrphxcop:

I had a similar experience when I shot for the first time. I had already decided that I wanted to go to the police academy (Here, we send ourselves for the most part) I had never fired a weapon before and I didn't want my first firearms class in the academy to be my first time. So, I went to a local gun range, and picked out a few guns (Glock 22, H & K .40 cal, Walther P30 9mm and the gun I own now Tarus 9mm) The very first shot I took was with the Glock, I was nervous as ALL GET OUT! I'm thinking to myself "I can't do this" then I shot "Whew" .. and the more I did it the more comfortable I felt. It was the best thing I could have ever done. If I had been in my first firearms class with no shooting experience, I don't know if I would have done well at all. Some of my LEO friends tell me at different times when they realized "This is it" some it was when they first put their vest on, for me, it was that first day at the range, that first shot. That gave me all the confidence that I needed that I would do well in the academy and in law enforcement. (I don't usually ramble on like this!)

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: Summer Rain ]

Comment

You did not ramble, In fact i felt relieved too. It was no where as hard as i thought it would be. My arms got a ittle tired but otherwise it was all good.
                        "To each his own"

Comment

PWD, What kind of job do you do? Never mind, Half way thru the question it dawned on me. You are a police web developer. right? Really cool!
                          Oops. For some reason I didn't see this post. Yes it is cool. I do that on the side though. I won a national award (Law and Order Magazine) for it. I'm a professional web developer for my "real" job. I'd like to be an auxiliary or reserve officer but I don't know about my size (I'd have to bulk up) and if I could take some of the training that you have to do. One of my local departments will pay for you to go thru the academy for a reserve officer. Can't beat that.

Matt
                          <a href="http://police-websites.org" target="_blank">http://police-websites.org</a>

Comment

Ok, I finished my last class and shot a gun and i am still alive. My instuctor said i recieved a score of 246 out of 250 being the best. Not bad for beginners luck.
                            I've always wondered about shooting a gun. I've "fake" practiced enough. Of course, that doesn't give you the real feeling.

Congrats on the score. Quite impressive.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4457 users online. 323 members and 4134 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X