300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am so angry....

at myself and the THIEF that has my debit card!
    So here's the short story. Yesterday, I went to the ATM at my bank and withdrew a little money to have while I was out running errands. I was in a hurry to make an appointment and when my money popped out, I just grabbed it and left. Guess what? I left my ATM/Debit card (with the VISA logo) in the dam* machine. Since I didn't use it anymore thru the day, I didn't realize that I had lost it. Well, late last night, after I got off of O.com for the evening, my husband and I were sitting and watching TV. (My son was spending the night with his grandmother). So, I told my husband, I want to go for a ride, I don't know why because I am tired, but I just feel like some fresh air. So, we jump into the car and I say, lets stop at the store and get a Diet Coke. I said, I don't have any cash on me, I'll have to use the debit card in the ATM. Well, when I went to get it, it wasn't there. I searched and still couldn't find it. I thought for a minute and said Oh my God, I left the card at the bank today. SO we race home and I call the 1-800 number to check my balance and recent transactions. Sure enough some scumbag has my card and so far had taken me for around $50.00 (I am lucky that is all). So, I tell my husband, get in the car, we're going to the ATm to get all of our money out. So we did. Fortunately the bum hadn't gotten the rest of it. So, I called the 1-800 number on the back of my husbands card and had it reported lost and canceled. At least they can't get more now.
    So, Monday, I am going to the bank because they have cameras all around their ATM and I want this bum caught. I know that I made a mistake by leaving it there, but it still didn't give them any right to use the thing. If I would have found someone's card, I would have taken it inside the bank and turned it in, but unfortunately... this person didn't have the same thoughts. I am soooo ****ed, I can't believe I was so careless. I have never done anything like this.

On second thought, maybe this wasn't so short. Sorry.

[ 10-12-2002, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: shorty ]
    In valor there is hope - Tacitus

shorty,

Was there someone in line behind you waiting to use the ATM machine? Did you take notice at all?

I thought most machines kept cards that were left behind after a certain amount of time?

Comment

No, there was no one behind me, but the parking lot was full (one reason I was in a hurry to get out of there, to free up a parking spot for those waiting.... that's what I get for trying to be nice).

I wonder if I can get that money back somehow? Like, does the bank cover so much of a theft loss? If I find the jerk that has it, I am going to take the money out of his ***. The amount of money is not the point, it is the point that it was not his/hers to take, ya know?

Comment

shorty,

Gosh, sorry to hear about that. Luckily you were able to cancel the card before things got much worse!

Darn, that seems wierd. Usually, right after my transaction clears the machine asks me if I want another one and I say NO. After that, in order to get cash I have to re-enter my pin #. If that is what happened here that is scary that he was able to still get money after you used your card!

Good Luck--I hope you have the person nailed to the wall!

[ 10-12-2002, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: GRACE ]
        "Life breaks us all and afterwards some are strong at the broken places."
        --Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Comment

Well, the thing is I did say no. What they did was take it somewhere and use it. When I called and checked it said that 3 purchases (that we did not make) were done by electronic purchase. Since it is a Visa card, you still don't have to have a pin always. If I tell the clerk it is a debit card, then I have to type in the pin, but at gas stations, etc, they will ring it up as charge and all I have to do is sign the receipt. There was an electronic purchase for $11.45, 22.42, and 22.43. It looks to me that they were making small purchases so that they would not get ID'd. (fortunately, my husbands paycheck doesn't get put in until Monday or they could have really hurt us. Since it was a few days before payday, we didn't have much there if they had of gotten it all).
          It's my own fault for being careless, but it still doesn't make it any easier!

Comment

shorty,

We have all done something like this once or twice before--well, at least I have. It still doesn't give that idiot the right to take your money!

Thanks for clearing the Visa/pin thing up for me. I only have a ATM/debit card and no Visa gig so I didn't know about that!

Again, I truly hope they find this person!
            "Life breaks us all and afterwards some are strong at the broken places."
            --Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

Comment

shorty, if your card is taking money from your checking acct you will need to close the acct because you might have some sort of overdraft protection. even if you take all of your deposited money out you/theif will still be able to take out the overdraft protection money.

Comment

thats a normal reaction shorty. but tx is right. Hopefully, they catch the dummy who found your card. if they were smart they would just give it to the bank. Since they are dumb, they will probably get caught using it... ( )
                Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

10-13, I have already called and canceled the card. If it is used, it is supposed to pop up that it is "lost" and they are not supposed to approve any sales. I can not close my checking account until Monday when the bank opens, they are not open on Saturday. I don't think I have overdraft protection, seems like I told them I didn't need it (you know, when I am out of money, I quit writing checks).
                  I did call my banks 1-800 number to check the last transactions and today there was a withdrawal from an ATM for 75 cents, but that is it. Apparently they tried to go and withdraw money, but since there is none in there, it just charged the ATM usage fee. (my balance is now $1.34) Which I thought it wasn't even suppose to do that, but what the heck can I do? I am scrooged until Monday.

Comment

shorty,

sorry to hear about your day. [Frown]

Comment

Thanks MK,

Remember last night when I told you all that I was calling it a night? I was sooooo tired and ready to go to bed, but "fate" told me to go for a ride. If I hadn't, the jerk would have cleaned me out by morning.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6801 users online. 363 members and 6438 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X