Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"COPS" For real or not really

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "COPS" For real or not really

    I love to watch to "COPS" the tv show. I'm not an officer, I'm a mechanic. I am wondering if being an officer is much like the show. I know that when I watch mechanic type shows they seem embellished and are not typical of an 8-5 job. So is "COPS" the same? Any LE fans out there? Please only respond if you are LEO. Thanks

  • #2
    **Not a cop**

    Cops shows about 1% of law enforcement. There are not chases every day (Be it vehicle, or foot). You do not go lights and siren to every call.

    This is how COPS works. They come to your PD for about a month (Give or take a few weeks). They have camera guys riding with officers for the time they are there. They get about 30 mins, to an hour, of good film they will use, for every month of filming.
    U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
    Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

    Comment


    • #3
      Is your family LE? Just wondering how a 16 yo knows so much about the PD. When I was 16, well nevermind. Anyways thanks for info.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by acuratech311
        Is your family LE? Just wondering how a 16 yo knows so much about the PD. When I was 16, well nevermind. Anyways thanks for info.
        Im a cadet with the police department.

        I have over 500 hours of ride-alongs.

        What do you mean "When I was 16, Well nevermind" ?
        U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
        Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

        Comment


        • #5
          OH thats awesome bro, I wish I could've done that when I was that age. Dont get all excited I was just curious cuz when I was 16 I surely wasnt thinking about enforcing the law. I was trying to avoid the law...... Good for you bud.

          Comment


          • #6
            It's an entirely different setting than a mechanic show. Alot of the mechanic shows on TV seem to be reading off scripts or something to overdramatize the situation. I don't think you could make up the stuff on COPS, although it's odd how many people don't mind their face being on TV.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TPD Cadet
              **Not a cop**

              Cops shows about 1% of law enforcement. There are not chases every day (Be it vehicle, or foot). You do not go lights and siren to every call.

              This is how COPS works. They come to your PD for about a month (Give or take a few weeks). They have camera guys riding with officers for the time they are there. They get about 30 mins, to an hour, of good film they will use, for every month of filming.


              I didnt know ride alongs can teach you so much. lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by acuratech311
                OH thats awesome bro, I wish I could've done that when I was that age. Dont get all excited I was just curious cuz when I was 16 I surely wasnt thinking about enforcing the law. I was trying to avoid the law...... Good for you bud.
                hahaha!!
                That is exactly what I thought you meant! Yeah, its a great program. Gotta get up at 6:30 tomorrow to help work a NLEOMF bicycle ride, but its gor a good cause. And don't worry, I wasn't getting excited. I guess most people do not know about cadet programs.
                U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Crex4242
                  I didnt know ride alongs can teach you so much. lol
                  lol, ride-alongs didn't teach me that.
                  I learned that from officers. I was just answering why I knew so much about my police department.
                  U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                  Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm civilian, not sworn, but I know what goes on obviously:

                    I'll give you an example of a real day of a cop:

                    6pm: Briefing
                    6:30pm: Snack in the car
                    6:31pm: Landlord/tenants fighting over something stupid.
                    (Paperwork)
                    8pm: Shoplifter at the food store.
                    (Paperwork)
                    Cover other officer
                    11pm: Annoying drunk won't leave bar.
                    (Paperwork)
                    2am: 215 (24 hour driving prohib)
                    (Paperwork)
                    Cover other officer
                    5am: Catch up on paperwork until 7am.

                    Yes... that is what our department is like!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Reason for Editing.
                      Last edited by lazycop; 02-15-2010, 04:55 PM.
                      Work smarter not harder!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by lazycop
                        That would be like working a full time job for over 12 weeks, at 40hrs a week. I am assuming with no pay. Why would you do that?
                        What makes you think I did it in 12 weeks?
                        I have accumulated that time over a span of 2 years. Not straight. I usually ride 2 to 3 days a month, each shift being 10 hour days.
                        U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                        Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Marky Mark
                          They rode on my watch a few years ago, with a couple friends of mine. What they show is real, but like any reality show, it takes a week of filming to get 30 minutes of useable tape. Police administrations also "manage" who the cameras ride with, which also has an impact on what's seen.
                          Just wondering about the cameras/camera men.... I'd think that with the responsibility an officer has to fellow cops and to insuring his own safety, packing in a stranger with a camera to follow him/her around would be a pain in the *****. Besides that, what about the PD's liability in having a person involved in the the activity/situations that occurs? I like the show at times, but I wonder how much they 'get in the way' to get the film needed to make a program. Can the officer's that they ride with tell them to 'stay put', or is there some sort of contract that says the camera man can film whatever he wants to film...

                          I know.....bunch of questions, but after watching the show, these are things that I have wondered about. I would think it would make it more difficult to do an already difficult job.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OnceBitten
                            Just wondering about the cameras/camera men.... I'd think that with the responsibility an officer has to fellow cops and to insuring his own safety, packing in a stranger with a camera to follow him/her around would be a pain in the *****. Besides that, what about the PD's liability in having a person involved in the the activity/situations that occurs? I like the show at times, but I wonder how much they 'get in the way' to get the film needed to make a program. Can the officer's that they ride with tell them to 'stay put', or is there some sort of contract that says the camera man can film whatever he wants to film...

                            I know.....bunch of questions, but after watching the show, these are things that I have wondered about. I would think it would make it more difficult to do an already difficult job.
                            They probably sign a liability form saying the PD doesn't have to cover the camera crew.....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Matto
                              They probably sign a liability form saying the PD doesn't have to cover the camera crew.....
                              Yeah, thats what my PD does for any riders. Its basically...
                              "You wanna ride? Ok, its not our fault if ANYTHING happens to you" I think that would apply to the cameramen also, but ill bet COPS has personal insurance.
                              U.S. Coast Guard R since 2006.
                              Petty Officer Third Class (E-4)

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6900 users online. 400 members and 6500 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X