300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Lost rock!

My dh wanted to buy me a gem stone necklace to match a ring he bought me for our 25 wedding anniversary. He got a stone on loan from a jeweler, but the color didn't match, so he wanted to return it. It was in a small box on my desk earlier this evening before dh and I went out for a couple of hours. As soon as I came home I walked up to my desk and there was the box open, and the stone gone. [Eek!]

No, it wasn't stolen. I think my 2yo (who apparently was not being watching very closely by his older teenaged siblings) climbed up to my desk, opened the box and took the stone out. Of course he is not very, verbal and asking him where the stone went is useless. He demonstrated to me how to open the box when I asked him to, so I'm 99% sure he did it. He keeps pointing to the floor when I ask him what he did with the stone. He also led me up upstairs to the toilet in the girls bathroom! PLEASE tell me he didn't flush it down the toilet! [Eek!] Please tell me how to find this stone!

Signed,
    Desperate in Michigan.

Hopefully he ingested the stone and you'll just have to wait for it to pass.
    The "trap" for a toilet is right at the bowl and after that there's usually only a clean out. So, if it's not right in the bowl and/or he flushed it, the stone is either in the septic tank or somewhere between your house and the city treatment plant.
    Have you checked the sink and bathtub traps?
    If you think he may have swallowed it maybe you can get an X-ray done for confirmation.

I hope you find it.
    " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

There's a bathroom right next to where my desk is but the lights were out (he can't really work them himself), and there was no water around the sink, and nothing looks messed up, so I don't "think" he went in there. The only other clue I have, is that when I asked the almost 4yo if he'd seen a little blue stone (I showed him the ring) he right away said "yes" and led me up to the girl's bathroom. He kept saying it was on their counter, but it wasn't. He also says that "Bethany" (my 15yo) put it there. He seemed surprised that it was not on the counter, so I don't think he made it up. He is not very verbal either, so I'm not really sure what he remembers. I don't think he's the one who took the stone out of the box. Most of the kids had stayed upstairs the whole time I was gone, playing computer games. The girls left a few minutes before I got home, so I'll have to wait until they return to find out if they know anything. I searched their jewelry boxes already thinking that if they found it they might have put it there for safekeeping. My 12yo, who was left in charge when they left, knows nothing.

I'm going upstairs right now to stick my hand in the toilet and see if I can find anything. [Frown]

[ 12-22-2002, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: ThaliaMoser ]

Comment

Is the counter right near the sink? Maybe it's in the sink trap. You'd have to go under the sink, unscrew the retaining nuts on the "U" shaped trap and slide the trap off to check. You'll need a bucket to catch a small amount of water thats in the trap.
        Some traps have a cleanout/drain at the bottom of the trap, if so, you only need to remove that.
        " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Both of the sinks in question are basin types sinks. They look like bowls setting on the counter rather than being set down into the counter. The 2yo could have reached the counter top, but not the edge of the bowl/sink without a step stool, and there is no stool in the bathroom. There's no evidence that he was playing in there (like water on the counter or open drawers.) If the stone was on the counter, it could not have been accidentally swept into the sink because of this raised bowl (It is a good 4 or 5 inches above the level of the counter top).

Thankfully, most of my floors are hardwood, so I don't have to worry about it getting stuck down into carpet. I wiped up the kitchen and desk areas (they are near my desk) already and found nothing.

Comment

Oh OK, But just in case the rock DID go down a drain all plumbing fixtures have a trap that retains a small amount of water to keep sewer gases from entering the house and heavier objects usually get stuck there.
            Hopefully, when the rest of the "troops" arrive home one of them took it with them to show it off or something like that.
            I hope you find it.

Comment

Thanks 207, I hope I don't have to take apart any plumbing. I hate to say this, but a few months ago I dropped the ring down the drain myself! My dh took the trap apart and thankfully the ring was there. Honest, this does not happen everyday!

I went back upstairs and checked around the toilet again. There's no sign that he was playing in there - no water or anything messed up. The lights were out. BTW, my dh is calmly watching the golf channel as I am suffering here! When I walk past him he just smiles and askes if I found it yet. I just hope he doesn't have a change of temperment when I really can't find it!

Comment

Put a small rock or marble in the box, close it up and have the child show you 'how he did it'.

If the child did play with the box and stone, he may very well lead you straight to the item.

This has worked for me.

Jim Burnes

Comment

Just a thought, if you heating system uses floor registers, check them out. And good luck!
                  6P1 (retired)

Comment

My litle girl had this secret hiding spot where she hid money, rocks and all the little things I could never find. She was about 2 or 3 years old when she did this. Her hiding spot was underneath her bed right in the corner. Only she could fit under there, found it by sweeping. I found like $12.00 in cash and change.
                    Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

Have you tried the trash can? My 20 month old used to throw things in the trash. I had a watch come up missing and I believe he threw it away. About the same time that the watch came up missing I caught him throwing other things away.

Do you think that your DH might have it, after all you said that he doesnt seem to care. maybe he will suprise you with it on Christmas.

I wish you luck.

Comment

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all and thank the Lord!

The older kids came home and they knew nothing about it. We assertained from them that the 2yo and 3yo had been in the upstairs office/family room most of the time, so we kept looking there. I finally found it in the back crack of one of the office chairs. I knew as soon as I touched it with my fingers that I had found it! I am sooooo relieved. Thank you again everyone! We are shipping it back to it's rightful owner (the jeweler) ASAP!

Comment

P.S. I just found it now and rushed to my computer to tell you all. THANKS AGAIN!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3512 users online. 250 members and 3262 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X