X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36X

Can I change my name to "36XL"?

quote:
    The shooting angered some who live near the store.

"An Arab owns it, and a black man got killed. What more do you need to know?" said a man who only identified himself as 36X. Other men around him nodded their heads in agreement and railed against other Arab-owned businesses nearby.

Police confirmed that the family store owners are of Middle Eastern descent, and that the dead man is African American.

The neighborhood, which is mostly African American, is dotted with gas stations and party stores owned by Arabs and Chaldean immigrants.

I am not sure why people from the community never buy those stores and take them over? They always complain that they are Korean or something but why complain? Why not just buy the stores themselves?

Comment

"An Arab owns it, and a black man got killed. What more do you need to know?"

What does that mean? I don't get his point.

Comment

I thought from the Topic Title this was about a new bra size.

Comment

"Why not just buy the stores themselves?"

Perhaps the people there are too poor to buy their own businesses? That has been the case in many neighborhoods where I have worked. Of course, I don't know anything about this particular neighborhood so I may be completely wrong.

Comment

quote:
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            "Why not just buy the stores themselves?"

Perhaps the people there are too poor to buy their own businesses? That has been the case in many neighborhoods where I have worked. Of course, I don't know anything about this particular neighborhood so I may be completely wrong.

I don't buy that one. The government is practically throwing grant money at poor people in poor neighborhoods for small business loans and set up. Plus, I'm sure there are enough people with enough money to pool together to buy a place in the neighborhood if they really can't stand the idea of "Arabs" owning a business there. Too bad the media only covers the "36X"s for a story like this. They love to cover a story when stereotypes get out of hand so much that they promote stereotypes as much as possible. I'm pretty sure the whole neighborhood doesn't think like 36X.....Whenever a party store worker gets murdered by someone from "the neighborhood", other people from the neighborhood always set up one of those "makeshift memorials".

quote:
            --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            "An Arab owns it, and a black man got killed. What more do you need to know?"

What does that mean? I don't get his point.

36X is just an ignorant player-hater. He can't stand the idea of someone who doesn't look like him profitting from a business in his neighborhood that requires 24/7 work by numerous members of the same family. Kind of ironic that he's got a Muslim name, but doesn't know that Chaldeans aren't
            Arabs.

Here's the full story:

quote:
            Man is shot dead outside grocery

Detroit cops: Co-owner foiled robbery attempt
            October 11, 2002

BY TAMARA AUDI
            FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

An owner of a family-run Detroit grocery shot and killed a man outside the store Thursday afternoon as he and other men tried to rob a 34-year-old Southfield woman who also owns the store, police said.

Police said the woman was returning from the bank around 12:30 p.m. when two or three men attacked her as she walked into the Great Value Market, on Chicago near Schaefer.

The name of the woman, who was being treated for minor injuries Thursday afternoon at Sinai-Grace Hospital in Detroit, was not released. The names of the man who did the shooting and the man shot were not released by police.

"People observed the assault occurring from inside" the store "and came to her assistance," Detroit Police Inspector Craig Schwartz said.

"During the ensuing melee, one of the individuals who had been assaulting the woman was fatally shot."

Witnesses told police the owner, who is a relative of the woman, shot the man in the back several times as he fled across the street.

Police said they could not confirm whether the gun was fired more than once.

"I saw the man running, and he fell on his face right there," 9-year-old Dwayne Etter said, pointing to the grass berm across the street from the store. Dwayne said he was a block away and heading toward the store when he heard gunshots.

"I saw holes in his back and in his legs," he said. "Then I ran away because I thought the man with the gun was going to chase me."

The shooting angered some who live near the store.

"An Arab owns it, and a black man got killed. What more do you need to know?" said a man who only identified himself as 36X. Other men around him nodded their heads in agreement and railed against other Arab-owned businesses nearby.

Police confirmed that the family store owners are of Middle Eastern descent, and that the dead man is African American.

The neighborhood, which is mostly African American, is dotted with gas stations and party stores owned by Arabs and Chaldean immigrants.

Police said the shooting was not racially motivated, adding that the Great Value store had operated in the neighborhood for years.

The owners had been shot at once before in a robbery, Lt. Bill Petersen of the Detroit police homicide unit said. But for the most part, the family business and its customers got along fine, he said.

"The only racial aspect of this is the characters across the street," Petersen said, referring to the small crowd of disgruntled onlookers.

"The store's been here a long time. Everybody who lives here does business with them."

As of Tuesday evening, police were still questioning witnesses and the shooter, but no arrests had been made, Schwartz said.

"It's still very early," Schwartz said. "This isn't necessarily the final word on the thing."

[ 10-12-2002, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Frank Booth ]

Comment

The shooting angered them but the robbery didn't?

Comment

quote:
                The shooting angered them but the robbery didn't?
                I think 36X just calls it "gettin' paid".

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5268 users online. 304 members and 4964 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X