300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    I bet that plays well to the Southern, toothless, fat-hog-of-a-wife havin' Ford drivin' Redneck crowd, doesn't it?
    Don't look now, but I think you just made a stereotype. And a wrong one at that.

Comment

You know, now that I think about, let's dissect the lyrics...

quote:
      "I'm just a middle aged, Middle Eastern,
      Camel-herdin' man,

Maybe he should have said microprocessor assembler?

quote:
      I've got a two bedroom cave here
      in Afghanistan."???

As opposed to a three bedroom, two bathroom split level overlooking the ocean?

Why don't you post the rest of it and let's finish this off. I can almost guarantee the end message isn't a bit stereotypical.

Comment

quote:
        Don't look now, but I think you just made a stereotype. And a wrong one at that.
        Really?

quote:
        Why don't you post the rest of it and let's finish this off. I can almost guarantee the end message isn't a bit stereotypical.
        Oh, so stereotypes are OK if the guy you're stereotyping has the same enemy as you do? I don't remember the rest, just that the Camel Herder gives the Taliban the finger....So since he's on "our side" it must be OK to stereotype him. I really couldn't care less, honestly, it just had to do with my own stereotype of j*** fans being a little more sophistcated than the country and/or western crowd that would whoop and hollar while Toby sings about the camel herding cave dwellers.

[ 12-18-2002, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: Frank Booth ]

Comment

quote:
          Really?
          (Through a toothless sneer, a cloud of Marlboro smoke and wreaking of Milwaukee's Best) Yup.

Comment

Here's another one of Toby's lines from the same song..

"....we'll do just fine down in Palistine...."

Can one of you non-stereotypical Southern Toby Keith fans show me where Palistine is on the map?

Comment

So is the point of this thread that country music fans are better Americans?

Comment

Crazy,

I think you and I should agree to disagree, and since I believe war's about to be declared, fold our tents and silently steal away. Pardon the pun.
                "But if it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul alive." from Henry V, by Wm. Shakespeare

Comment

Doh, I just ordered all my troops to start gathering.

Comment

I'm going to simply ignore all of Crazy's rantings. He did miss the point and when he starts listing act's like Sha Na Na (what are they, about 150 years old) or making a huge deal because some big act made a single stop at a US base in the middle of a big commercial tour, then he is clearly missing the point.

The guy who is going to get my attention is Frank Booth.

"I never generalized about Southerners"
                    "I bet that plays well to the Southern, toothless, fat-hog-of-a-wife havin' Ford drivin' Redneck crowd, doesn't it?"

Yes Frank, that was a stereotype. And it's one that is making me reconsider my opinion of you.

"Can one of you non-stereotypical Southern Toby Keith fans show me where Palistine is on the map?"

That depends on your map. Some do show it.

In fact, no less a company than BMW (a big favorite among rednecks) had a problem earlier this year when some of it's literature showed offices on a map in Palestine, but not in Israel. Here is a link to that story: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/noisrael.htm
                    Of course, those idiots on CNN, FNC, MSNBC etc. that keep talking about stories in Palestine are also rednecks.

Didn't Palestine field an Olympic team this last time?

So I guess we can discount Palestine as being just something for the redneck crowd.

555:
                    "So is the point of this thread that country music fans are better Americans?"

I thought the point was clear in the first post where I asked this: Is it a difference in viewpoints? Difference in values and ideals? Difference in upbringing? Or am I completely wrong?

Where did I say anything about being "better Americans"?

Comment

Nite,

You can ignore my ranting all you want, but I think I proved rather easily that rock and rap acts have toured with the USO (it's right on their website, y'know), although clearly the big debating point is whether they tend to do so at the height of the popularity or the end of it.

And if you get to make fun of Sha Na Na, it's only fair to poke fun at Wayne Newton!

[ 12-19-2002, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: C in a J ]

Comment

So poke fun at Wayne Newton............. do Tom Jones while you're at it. I could care less.

When I talk about the country acts touring, I am referring to acts that are CURRENT in their poularity and do the tour for the military, not as a stop during their commercial tour. I'm also referring a lot to the overseas aspect, not a short concert being done at Ft. Hamilton NY (located in Brooklyn) when an artist lives in NYC.

And fine, there are non-country acts. My comment was on the apparently disproportionate occurances. I routinely saw country acts doing it and still do. The other genres seem to be the exception more than the rule.

Comment

First of all, I have just started listening to country and enjoying it a few months ago. My wife of 5 years has listened to it since I have known her. Part of the reason that I started listening was because of all the garbage on the top 40 and rock stations. They would play a decent song and then the next song would be just pure crap. I got sick of it. Country music seems to be more conservative than other types of popular music. Most of the songs seem to send a positive message whereas a good portion of the popular songs don't really have a message. Rock really seemed to change over the past few years. There really hasn't been anything worth listening to.

I went to 3 Toby Keith concerts this last year. I was lucky enough to be in the 2nd row for the last one that I saw. Yes I did watch Toby TV this last weekend on CMT. Toby is my wife's favorite singer.

I sure wouldn't call Toby a "corporate shill." I am sure that he is getting a good chunk of change for being in a few 30 second truck commercials. I still see more Ford commercials without him that with him. It would have been foolish for him to pass up an opportunity like the Ford commercials. Toby is no idiot. He knows where he wants to take his career and he has gotten there. He is hard working... his success is not by luck.

I can't think of any pro-America songs that I heard on the top 40 stations. In fact, every morning on the country station that I listen to they play the National Anthem.

I think Nightshift hit the nail on the head and Frank is wrong. God Bless America.
                          Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

I think it's great that country music is patriotic... i cant listen to it, so i'll have to take your word for it.

It gives me a horrible headache... i guess kind of like when Mary Hart's voice gave Kramer fits

And BTW, theres lots and lots of good music out there nowadays... i went to a great concert the other night that had 6 bands... it's all in what you like. that would be like me saying all country music sucks, just because i dont like it.

[ 12-19-2002, 03:34 AM: Message edited by: jellybean40 ]
                            "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Jellybean,
                              There is a lot of good music out there, but it seems like they can't play two good songs in a row. I listen to just about anything from Metallica to Dave Matthews to Vanessa Carlton, but as of late it has been pretty much country. I really can't stand rap.

If a decent concert comes to town, I usually consider going. In fact the next time U2 tours, I hope to go...even if I have to travel a couple of hours.

I guess I am getting a bit off topic. Arguing about music preference really doesn't do anyone any good. Country music may have more songs about America, but they also sing more about drinking too.
                              Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

quote:
                                Originally posted by Niteshift:
                                http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/noisrael.htm

555:
                                "So is the point of this thread that country music fans are better Americans?"

I thought the point was clear in the first post where I asked this: Is it a difference in viewpoints? Difference in values and ideals? Difference in upbringing? Or am I completely wrong?

Where did I say anything about being "better Americans"?

It was implied

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2302 users online. 153 members and 2149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X