Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jellybean40
    replied
    BTW 207, the post about your carrier not doing their job was meant to diss the carrier, not you [Wink]

I know rural carriers that constantly wrote notices instead of knocking on doors, and they were written up for it.

Leave a comment:

• Delta_V
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by C in a J:
    Fastie,

I sent my AMEX bill out yesterday, and I'll be making a deposit on Friday to cover the difference.

I pay my Amex bill online. It's easy to do and way faster than sending a check.

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by 207:
    Another thing that will bring your mail to a screeching halt is that anything written, marked, or stuck on BELOW the zip code interferes with the automated scanners reading of the zip code (you do put one on,right?) and thus is rejected to be sorted by hand. Scanned mail usually has that faint barcode along the bottom of the envelope.

True! the machines read from the bottom up, when reading the address. if there's any problem, it goes to hand sort.

Thanks for that info, Fastie. it always seems like it takes a week for checks i send out to *post* to my account. lately, i noticed a couple catalogs that i order from have on their form that they will use the check like a "debit" and take it right out of my account. i had to sign on the form, saying i accepted that.

Leave a comment:

• CinaC
    replied
    Fastie,

I sent my AMEX bill out yesterday, and I'll be making a deposit on Friday to cover the difference. An AMEX check has never cleared my bank in less than a week.

Direct deposit is almost out of the question -- my state job doesn't offer it (that I'm aware of), and my delivery job pays primarily in cash (tips) and my checks usually suck (because I pay the taxes on the tips out of the check).

Leave a comment:

replied
    Another thing that will bring your mail to a screeching halt is that anything written, marked, or stuck on BELOW the zip code interferes with the automated scanners reading of the zip code (you do put one on,right?) and thus is rejected to be sorted by hand. Scanned mail usually has that faint barcode along the bottom of the envelope.

Leave a comment:

• lone ranger
    replied
    I once got a bill for my OSGLI that had a due date five days before the date they sent it out.

Two government agencies trying to see which one can move the slowest

Leave a comment:

• Fastie
    replied
    I wouldn't complain. I work with such things at the bank and I can tell you, it would be a rare thing for a bank to receive the check and not have it back to your bank and posted to your account within two days. Most of the time it is one day or local items can be the same day. It could be with all the storms there are airline delays and also the utility companies might not be making their deposits to the bank as they normally do.

Since you've made it clear you have written more checks than your account balance, you should be jumping for joy... but , don't always count on it being this way. In fact, things are moving towards electronic data trading between banks. That means if you write me a check (I'm in CA) and I deposit it at my bank today, it could post to your account on the East coast today, the bank would just send the information to your bank to post to your account and send your check to them later on (after it has posted to your account)..... (this is just the $0.05 tour of check processing)....

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    replied
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by shooter1201:
    Who else remembers $0.10 stamps and timely mail delivery? j/k jellybean. [Wink]

I DO, I DO... they also used to come and knock on the door if they had a package for you. Now they just stick a note in your mailbox advising YOU to come and pick it up or they'll send it back! [Eek!]
    OK, to Shooter re: the timely mail delivery: is the bar code on the envelope distorted, or marked on in any way? it's possible the letter was missorted (by machine). (do i sound practiced? )

to 207 re: your packages: part of your mail carrier's job is to knock on your door with packages. the notice is only to be used when no one answers, or the package is too huge to get it in the mail jeep! (rural carriers often use the small jeeps.) if your carrier is not attempting delivery of packages or accountable mail (cert. etc) he/she is not doing their job.

Leave a comment:

replied
    quote:
    Originally posted by shooter1201:

I DO, I DO... they also used to come and knock on the door if they had a package for you. Now they just stick a note in your mailbox advising YOU to come and pick it up or they'll send it back! [Eek!]

Leave a comment:

• shooter1201
    replied
    Jellybean....

My daughter JUST GOT her phone bill today. It was prepared by BellSouth and sent out on December 6.....and spent 11 days WHERE? It's DUE on December 25(how appropriate). If it took 11 days to get HERE, how do they expect it to get BACK to them(Atlanta) by the 25th?

Leave a comment:

• jellybean40
    replied
    quote:
    Bills like the mortgage, home & auto insurance, car loan, etc. are taken out automatically, no stamps, no envelopes, or checks to worry about.

thanks for your business

as for certified letters, Shaky & Blue, the addressee has 15 days to pick the letter up at the post office. look at the date stamped on the return receipt (the date it was signed) and you can see how long it actually took to come back in the mail. then you'll know if it's slow mail delivery or not.

Leave a comment:

replied
    C in a J, I use a direct deposit / automatic withdrawl set up. Bills like the mortgage, home & auto insurance, car loan, etc. are taken out automatically, no stamps, no envelopes, or checks to worry about. Less headaches and with the loans they're never listed with a "payment late" on the history.
    Another nice thing about direct deposit is that my money is in the bank by 0800 on payday whereas the persons at work have to wait 'til 1500 to get their checks and then rush to the bank.

Leave a comment:

• Shaky & Blue
    replied
    Hey, Crazy, I'm down the road from you in DC and have been having the same problems. My last round of bills took almost three weeks for all of them to clear. I also sent off a letter certified, return receipt at the same time, and didn't receive the proof of delivery for more than two weeks.

I think something's going on with the Postal service around here.

Leave a comment:

• CinaC
    replied
    I've no problem mailing my checks in, I just wonder why they're taking forever to clear the bank ...

Leave a comment:

• lone ranger
    replied
    Crazy,

Try Giant Eagle.

I haven't used it but..

I hear you can go to the service desk at Giant Eagle and pay the majority of your utilities. It would be a one stop shop.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4876 users online. 286 members and 4590 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X