300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a *must* read for Dispatchers...

This was written by a federal agent that serves with the ATF. I thought it really hit home, and worth reposting... Just in case you were wondering what some feds think of us dispatchers....

`````````
    You are the angels on my shoulder. The voice of caution, information and comfort. You will usually know before anyone that the Calvary will not arrive in time and with breaking heart may be the ear to hear the last thing we say. No shame at all when the Calvary does arrive to here a little yell of joy from such cool professionals. You don't sit first chair with any instrument; you are the conductors of the orchestra. You will know from a change in a familiar voice that it is time to start some help that way before the unit knows itself. You are the organizers of chaos and an average day at the set can be an air traffic controller's ultimate vision of hell. You get a daily diet of crap from the public and shame on us from the "fighter" jocks in the colorful vehicles.

Dispatchers have covered my butt, and saved it. One made me a hero. Like the pilots in "The Right Stuff", you all work to sound like you were raised in Southern Alabama and that nothing serious is ever going wrong. The guardian angels of my day. Maestro of public safety. True first responder to those in need.

God Bless and keep you all.

ATFSAC

I think he means "cavalry", not "Calvary".

Not being critical. I was a secretary before I retired so I notice these things.

Comment

I would just like to say: AMEN BROTHER! Okay now that that is out of my system, I'll say further that it is nice to hear the praise since most of the days are spent hearing all the pain and sorrow of the world. People do not call us to say thanks or to tell us we are having a good day, only with cries of anguish and terror. Bless you and all you other officers out there who take the time to tell your dispatchers that you appreciate them.

GuardianAngel
      "And through it all she offers me protection. A lot of love and affection, whether I'm right or wrong. And down the waterfall wherever it may take me, I know that life won't break me. When I come to call, she won't forsake me. I'm lovin Angels instead." - Robbie Williams "Angels"

Comment

disclaimer: I *am* a dispatcher FT, and only a Deputy PT... so I am Dispatch's worst nightmare. I *know* what can be done & what can't, what's good and what's bad...

kinda like the fact that I used to waitress. Now I'm either a very gracious tipper--or a horrible one. I don't reward poor service... lol!

The biggest thing in dispatch, for me personally, isn't the callers... it's the cops & coworkers. If they are rude, or dissapointed, or having a bad day... that's stress. Give me a heart attack or fire over a cranky cop any day!

Comment

As a former dispatcher and a current cop...
          I tend to yell at my radio more than others (at other cops as well as the dispatchers.)
          I tend to be more forgiving of the dispatcher.
          I might create more work because as Deputy37 said, I know what can be done and what can't.
          Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

Having also been on "both" sides of the radio extensively, I really appreciate the thoughts in this topic. I'm going to pass this on to a buddy who is a sergeant, supervising his department dispatchers. Hopefully he will copy and post at least some of it for his "troops" to read.

Dispatch is indeed the life line of the field troops. I posted this just the other day, but I'm going to post it again:

YOU may know where you are.
            GOD may know where you are.
            But if DISPATCH doesn't know where you are,
            you'd better hope that You and God are on VERY good terms.

[ 11-03-2002, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Don ]
            6P1 (retired)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4340 users online. 314 members and 4026 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X