300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOPD in the News Again

So what is everyone's take on the video on O.com's home page?

Originally posted by 28Blue21
    So what is everyone's take on the video on O.com's home page?
    The NOPD has worked under the most unimaginable conditions of any PD in the United States, ever. With all the military and other LE agencies in New Orleans right now, I don't even know why they still have the NOPD working 12-hour shifts. It's obvious they're at the breaking point, and who can honestly sit in judgement of them?
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Stressed or not, if (and I say if as we only have media coverage) unecessary force was used then shame. True the NOPD is probably at more than a breaking point but then they should be given more time off, counseling etc. If I swing a punch at you and say, sorry, I am a bit stressed, that does not excuse the punch, it only explains it. I am sure there may be more to this and the suspect may have given cause but I am not sure the reporter did. Yes reporters are annoying but for petes sake, why would you attempt that when you know you are on video? Lynch me if you like but if stress is to be used as an excuse then they best line up as most the world is stressed these days in one form or another.

Comment

Looks pretty much like what happens in our jail on a daily basis and in our bar area downtown multiple times on a weekend.

The tirade on the cameraman was out of line, but the conduct during the arrest didn't seem to be all that excessive. They were meeting resistance with force, thats what we are trained to do. Obviously, due to the close distance and other officers, OC wasn't an option and it didn't appear that anyone had a Taser present. Good old fashioned display of what it was like before we had all those fancy tools.

To me, the department is overreacting big time. The officer (S.M. Smith) should probably be charged and/or fired for his contact with the reporter, but the others were handing a violent and resistive subject how they were trained.
        Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by Mem
          Lynch me if you like but if stress is to be used as an excuse then they best line up as most the world is stressed these days in one form or another.
          Are you kidding me? We're not talking about stress over monthly utility bills and making car payments here.

What other PD in this country has had to endure what the NOPD has? What other PD has 3/4 of its members that have lost everything....including their homes and families?
          Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Seemed like they were justified in the force they used from what I saw. Its funny when people complain that o.c. and the taser is inhuman to use on suspects. What else does that leave us with than physical force which causes more injuries to suspects and coppers. Good luck to those coppers involved.

Comment

Stress is not an excuse for anything, they should accept responsibility for there actions and not waste what little tax payers money is left with a investigation.

Comment

Just another video that supports tazer purchases.

I saw nothing wrong in that video, except for an unsupporting boss. The message there is, that if you resist being arrested bad things can happen to you. It's pretty simple.

He was obvious resisting arrest and he got punched - big deal. He could have been batoned, and how would have that have looked on video!!!

For the non LEO commenting on this video, welcome to our dynamic world. Arrests are never textbook and the violence needed to take someone into custody never looks pretty.

It's a sad day for those NOPD members when they are apparently arrested before the investigation is completed.

Comment

Let's not pass judgement until all the FACTS come out of the incident. Those cops are dealing with crap that you and I are not.

Comment

You hear the SM Smith guy saying something about the last 6 weeks something something something... These guys are obviously at the end of their patience with the city. The are over worked and over tired. It shouldn't be too long before the usual suspects get in front of the camera to scream police butality!
                    Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

I can't imagine the stress and BS the NOPD cops must be dealing with. Stress is never an excuse to act out of line though. I'm somewhat indecisive on what to think about that video. I don't think repeatedly hitting the suspect in the face was necessary to get cuffs on to the guy. :shrugs:

Comment

I didn\'t see him repeatedly being hit in the face. I saw blows to the back to force him to bring his hand around and probably open it. Another interesting thing that I wonder if some of you caught- did any of you notice when they were finally able to take him down to the ground that something flew from that hand they were struggling to get loose? It was shiny and silver and spun on impact right beside the guy\'s left hip and the officer\'s left knee. It looked like it came from the suspect\'s right hand. To me, it looked like a folding knife.

I agree with other posters, there should not be any rush to judgement on this incident. It is a damn shame that the media wants to make this into an issue because one of their people got told where the bear takes a dump in the woods. Funny how the media hasn\'t been showing enough about the hard work that those officers have been doing to keep things together under absolutely impossible circumstances, when they probably still don\'t have their own personal issues even close to taken care of, yet. To now have the AP acting like this is another example of how some journalists will do anything to get their five minutes of fame.

Comment

Originally posted by JustDontDie
                          I can't imagine the stress and BS the NOPD cops must be dealing with. Stress is never an excuse to act out of line though. I'm somewhat indecisive on what to think about that video. I don't think repeatedly hitting the suspect in the face was necessary to get cuffs on to the guy. :shrugs:
                          When was the last time you handcuffed a drunk, let alone one bigger than you?

The first 4 punches were thrown when there was just two officers and he still resisted. Later when there was 4+ officers they still couldn't get him into cuffs and couple more complience strikes (punches) were thrown.

When someone decides to put up a fight, the police have a job to do, and sometimes it's a ugly one. It would have been a whole other story if the punches occured after he was handcuff and had given up. All the strikes occured while he was ACTIVELY resisting.

Comment

I see it differently. After going back and watching the video a couple more times it seems to me that the officers were mostly likely annoyed and unwilling to put up with the abnoxious drunks' babble about how he didn't feel he deserved to be arrested or whatever (somewhat of an assumption on my part, but that's besides the point hah). During the time that the officer is repeatedly hitting him (pretty damn hard at that) on the back of the head it doesn't even seem that the drunk was agressively resisiting much at all. If someone's gonna start hitting me full force on the back of the head for just not wanting to get arrested I'd probably want to put up a little fight at that point (especially if drunk). You'll hear the officer say in the video that he hit him in the back of the head "then he started fighting" or something like that. Possibly implying that the drunk wasn't being agressive until after he was punched repeatedly by the officer. That's exactly the way it looked by the video alone as well.

Am I crazy? Does anyone else see it like that?
                            Last edited by JustDontDie; 10-10-2005, 01:46 AM.

Comment

I don't mind other officers critiquing or even criticizing incidents like this cause they've been there, but college students, investors and people working in finance should shut the h--- up if they've never tried to handcuff a combative suspect who does not want to go to jail. Tasers! Tasers! How many articles have we read on O.com where somebody is bitchin about somebody somewhere dying after being tasered, you can't win. They won't let us have the damn things anyway.
                              The liberal politician has the only job where they go to the office to work for everyone but those who pay their salary.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5463 users online. 291 members and 5172 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X