This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedDog4
    And the statement was; not if they can do the job, it was how much experiance was needed before they can consider themselfs at the same level as others...
    mr arogance didnt say anything about being on the same level as a vet,, he just said that you aint a cop period,,,

*not aimed at anyone specific* but the effects of small penis syndrome never cease to amaze me.

Comment

I was in labor for 27 hours with my daughter, which included 3 hours of pushing. Physically, I was a mother, but any woman who is fertile can do what I did, if she wants (sometimes when she doesnt).
      For 2 years, I did all the things a good mother does...by the book and sometimes by instinct. It was easy sailing..a few late nights, teething, bumps on the head while learning to walk....no problem, I can handle this.

I really knew I was a mother when my daughter got a stomach virus and I was up most of nights 1 and 2 getting puked and pooped on...and changing sheets; washing the dirty ones in the middle of the night and during the day. Keeping her hydrated, getting the trash can to her in time before she puked on me or the bed, loving her, letting her cry on me while I held her knowing she could puke any moment. Listening to he cry and telling me that she felt sooo bad and to please make her feel better when all I could do was be there and comfort her.

On the first day she woke up after a whole night without fever, puke or explosive poop, I looked in the mirror at my dark circles and messy hair and was looking at a mother. I even laughed about it....I called my mom and she congratulated me and welcomed me to her rank of motherhood warning me that it was only the beginning of long nights and dark circles under my eyes from little sleep and worry.

I will spend years learning to be a mother and because I am willing to learn from my mistakes and from others, I think i will do a good job.

I think that is what Bodie means...however weak my analogy may be.
      Last edited by Styx; 10-07-2005, 03:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Styx
        I was in labor for 27 hours with my daughter, which included 3 hours of pushing. Physically, I was a mother, but any woman who is fertile can do what I did, if she wants (sometimes when she doesnt).
        For 2 years, I did all the things a good mother does...by the book and sometimes by instinct. It was easy sailing..a few late nights, teething, bumps on the head while learning to walk....no problem, I can handle this.

I really knew I was a mother when my daughter got a stomach virus and I was up most of nights 1 and 2 getting puked and pooped on...and changing sheets; washing the dirty ones in the middle of the night and during the day. Keeping her hydrated, getting the trash can to her in time before she puked on me or the bed, loving her, letting her cry on me while I held her knowing she could puke any moment. Listening to he cry and telling me that she felt sooo bad and to please make her feel better when all I could do was be there and comfort her.

On the first day she woke up after a whole night without fever, puke or explosive poop, I looked in the mirror at my dark circles and messy hair and was looking at a mother. I even laughed about it....I called my mom and she congratulated me and welcomed me to her rank of motherhood warning me that it was only the beginning of long nights and dark circles under my eyes from little sleep and worry.

I will spend years learning to be a mother and because I am willing to learn from my mistakes and from others, I think i will do a good job.

I think that is what Bodie means...however week my analogy may be.
        That was NO WEAK Analogy, Iam glad those days are behind ME!

Comment

I'll go a little farther than Bodie's post....

Depending on where you work has a lot to do in being a cop. If you work in some small town responding to a barking dog call most of the time, you are not a cop in my book. I think a 5 year officer who has worked in a major city has more knowledge than most officers with 20 plus years on in many small departments. I don't mean to offend anyone, but thats' just my thoughts...

Comment

So what exactly is it that I need to do to become a COP? Do you have a checklist for me Bodie?

I can understand having some issues with rookies who think they know everything, but is that generally the case? Usually when a rookie joins my department (I'm still considered a rookie by the way), they understand the academy didn't prepare them for everything. They know they still have so much to learn and are probably unprepared for a lot of situations. They know that cops who have been there longer know more than them. Most rookies understand all of this and strive to learn. At least that
            It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
              You will on the streets see things your mind, heart and soul just may not be able to handle. But if you do and stay then you will be a REAL COP.
              Just saw another one of your threads. Did these feelings arise due to the way a rookie handled this situation? Very sad. Those new I-Pods are not only destroying kids ears but they are responsible for things like what happened in that thread.
              It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Originally posted by mz248
                Wow that might be an even dumber comment than what Bodie wrote. Most cops that are killed are small town cops. I work in medium size city now (about 90,000) and we have one of the highest per capita crime rates in the state. I used to work as a deputy in a rural county I was definitely putting my *** more on the line in that job than I do in my current city. We didn't have the volume of calls but I guarantee you big city boys don't respond to domestics by themselves, handle DUI's by themselves, or bar fights by themselves among other things. Those are realities for a small town cop. I also know that big city patrol cops don't do anything but patrol. If a case is more involved than taking an initial report they ship it off to detectives. Many small town officers can run circles around a big city cop when it comes to investigating a case which in my opinion is the root of police work. You might want to get off your high horse and open your eyes a little bit. There is crime in places besides big cities. You ever hear of the meth problem that is an affliction in primarily rural America.
                ABSO FREGGIN LOUTLY,,,,i was at a 28 uniform 18k population,, i would put them up against anyone..

Comment

Originally posted by mz248
                  Wow that might be an even dumber comment than what Bodie wrote. Most cops that are killed are small town cops. I work in medium size city now (about 90,000) and we have one of the highest per capita crime rates in the state. I used to work as a deputy in a rural county I was definitely putting my *** more on the line in that job than I do in my current city. We didn't have the volume of calls but I guarantee you big city boys don't respond to domestics by themselves, handle DUI's by themselves, or bar fights by themselves among other things. Those are realities for a small town cop. I also know that big city patrol cops don't do anything but patrol. If a case is more involved than taking an initial report they ship it off to detectives. Many small town officers can run circles around a big city cop when it comes to investigating a case which in my opinion is the root of police work. You might want to get off your high horse and open your eyes a little bit. There is crime in places besides big cities. You ever hear of the meth problem that is an affliction in primarily rural America.
                  Bingo! We have a winner.
                  Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Comment

Code:
                    the volume of calls but I guarantee you big city boys don't respond to domestics by themselves, handle DUI's by themselves, or bar fights by themselves among other things. Those
                    You damn right we don't respond to domestics alone, it's against our policy, and common sense. Same applies with any fight call. Any cop who responds to a domestic alone is an idiot and more than likely should not be a cop to start with. Even if his back up is another town away...

I'm glad you don't handle our budget here in Vegas, apparently you think our street's are full of cops and detectives. We, like every other department, are short handed. I wish we had the detectives to handle the nightly shootings, stabbings, rapes and every other call we respond to each NIGHT! If the case isn't solved by the uniform officers, more than likely it won't be solved, that's a fact of life in any city. The TV shows you watch and probably learned most if not all of your investigation skills from, are not real... Don't you have some parking tickets to write with you Meter Molly cart?

I'm curious to know where you work???

Comment

All cops are police officers, but all police officers are not cops. A recruit is a police officer, but is not a cop. A rookie is a police officer, but is not a cop. A house mouse is a police officer, but is not a cop.

Comment

I totally agree with BODIE !!!
                        Only time, experience, failures and successes, will give you the inate sense that makes one a cop. To all those who disagreed, it reveals your lack of maturity and just solidifies what BODIE was trying to tell you. Stay safe!
                        "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" -George Orwell

"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing diapers." - Blues Brothers

Comment

whatever

I have to say I usually read everything before I jump in and I was going to comment on Bodies post, untill I saw this next one. As far as what Bodie is saying it sounds kinda like.....prove yourself to us and then youll be one of us. It's a pain to go through but usually in the end worth it. I will say that the day you strap on the gun for real for the first time.....it's on, doesn't matter if you have one day on 20 years....get ready to play. as far as big city cops vs. little city cops....whatever. There are invaulable experiecnes that you can learn from both. There is differing levels of call volume, and that trains you a certain way, but I bet you I have pulled my weopon as much or more than any big city cop. I guess I am not a real cop because I dont work in vegas, oh well, but hey....at least I don't work in vegas. You can polish a turd all you want, but it's still just a big shiny turd, with lights. That kind of elitist attitude that you display (along with your contempt for us police that dont work the big cities) is ignorant, and probably hinders a person from becoming a fully developed officer. I hope that you truly reconsider your points of view and realize that just like everyone else here, I leave a spouse at home that worries from the second I walk out the door,untill the second I walk back in, because I choose to risk it all, every day.

Bluezy
                          RLTW
                          www.officerdownbracelets.com
                          R.L.T.W

Comment

Originally posted by bluezy
                            ....at least I don't work in vegas. You can polish a turd all you want, but it's still just a big shiny turd, with lights.
                            That has got to be the quote of the year! I actually laughed out loud when I read that....and the rest of the post is pretty good too. I work for a pretty big department (about 1500 sworn), but I would never make such an assinine statement as to say small town/rural cops are somehow not "real" cops. It's just two different kinds of police work, but in my opinion, neither one is better than the other.
                            Aggression will save you when caution won't.
                            -Kent Anderson

Comment

This thread is what happens when you mix too many Type-A personalities together.
                              Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

RabitMPD

Please Start over Read Slower Absorb MEANING before engaging irrate rookie mouth

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4923 users online. 319 members and 4604 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X