300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer Faces Job Lose Over Mishandling Of Drunk Call

A 25 yr old Grove City Ohio Police Officer is facing the lose of his job after he mishandled a drunk individual call. Apparently the officer marked out on a drunk walking along the street and after it seemed he had completed the call without incident with no arrest.

16 miles away a short time later in Pickaway County officers received a call of a drunk staggering along busy US Rt 23 just north of the Village of South Bloomfield. This time an arrest was made and the drunk taken to jail.

Later the story unfolded that the Grove City Officer loaded the drunk in his cruiser and drove south into Pickaway County some 25 miles from where the call originated and dumped the drunk out along the road.

The dumping took place some 20 miles south of the Grove City Officer's jurisdiction. The Grove City Police did not learn of the dumping until the drunk who is a local character showed back up in Grove City days later and told somebody about his ride. The man is mildly retarded and has wondered around Grove City for years.

The Chief has filed 8 departmental charges against the officer. It would have been so much easier they say for the officer to have arrested the man and drove 1 mile back to the station and let the guy sleep it off in the small jail.

Now a 2 yr veteran officer at age 25 is no longer going to be a cop over a $50 drunk call.

I know many times where people are picked up and dropped off at the next jurisdiction...
    THE OTHER PLACE...A Forum to get away to

Patience with ignorance

Everyone is gay until proven striaght.

I am the one you want and what you want is so unreal--M.M.

When all of your wishes are granted, many of your dreams will be destroyed--M.M.

Art may imitate life, but life imitates TV--Ani Difranco

Comment

Bodie, are you kidding??? there is no way that the FOP will allow the officer to lose his job over this. NO way that the chief or you can think that this MINOR incident would cost an officer his job. I'd be suprised if a suspension even stuck!

stop posting all the stories that slam officers. take your negativity about officers to some other site. no one wants to hear that here.

Comment

This drunk dropping off seems to be a trend that's not only here.

Starlight Tours

Comment

Originally posted by gamecockfan
          Bodie, are you kidding??? there is no way that the FOP will allow the officer to lose his job over this. NO way that the chief or you can think that this MINOR incident would cost an officer his job. I'd be suprised if a suspension even stuck!

stop posting all the stories that slam officers. take your negativity about officers to some other site. no one wants to hear that here.
          First off if its true {i have no reason to doubt Bodie } than this young cop did a HUGE bad. How can you say that this is MINOR? The cop took a drunk and possibly retarded guy and drove him 25 miles away and then just went back on patrol. He shoulda called a Supervisor or at the very MOST thing to do on your own mind was to drive him to a hospital and leave him there. NOT in another COUNTY..Iam all for sticking togerther and cops should get the benefit of the doubt BUT for one this is the internet not a court room, so on that note this young rook screwed up, BIG TIME. Based on the above information...
          I got nothing for now

Comment

He's Fired ///// Not Much FOP Can Do.

It's true and in the paper today. Chief has already filed 8 departmental charges and recommended dismissal and officer is under suspension.

He dropped a retarded drunk guy off 20 miles away from his jurisdiction.
            He dropped him off along a busy 4 lane highway
            He never notifed anybody of incident
            He left his patrol area went into another county some 20 miles down the road.

This is one of the dunbets moves I have ever heard a young officer make.
            The FOP is just doing the best they can. It would be in the best interest of the officer to resign thus keep the firing off his record.

I know the Chief and he's fair guy having come up through the ranks.
            There is not much that can be done even the attornies involved admit that.

I know back decades ago cops would take drunks to rail yards and load them in empty box cars on Columbus' westside and they would wake up in Georgia etc. I knew one old drunk that told me thanks to the cops he got to see half the USA

We're all trying to figure out what he could have been thinking. It would have been different but he was less then a mile from the station and booking the guy would have taken half an hour at most.

Look up THISWEEKNEWSPAPERS and check Grove City Record Story.

Rookie and other officers including GAMECOCKFAN need to hear about things like this. One bad judgement call over a $50 drunk and this kids career is over.
            All wannabees and officers can learn from this story. You learn nothing from the sugar coated hero cop stories about how not to get fired or wash your career down the drain.

Cops especially rookies learn from the serious mistakes of those that go before them.

We used to drop hitchhikers at the county line after checking them out to keep from getting calls from farmers etc especially if hitchhiker was black or Latino. Can't do that no more. We would sit and wait for next county to start getting calls or we would radio ahead and if next county had a car close they would provide taxi on down the pike and so on.
            Last edited by Bodie; 10-05-2005, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Photogrrlz
              I know many times where people are picked up and dropped off at the next jurisdiction...
              Really? Why would officers pick up folks in one place (whether drunk or not) and drop them off in another. What is the purpose? Is it just to avoid paperwork or is there actually real reasons why it is done. I am not LE so I was actually surprised by your comment that implies it occurs more often and am curious why the practice happens. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mem
                Really? Why would officers pick up folks in one place (whether drunk or not) and drop them off in another. What is the purpose? Is it just to avoid paperwork or is there actually real reasons why it is done. I am not LE so I was actually surprised by your comment that implies it occurs more often and am curious why the practice happens. Thank you.

Sakej Henderson is a human rights lawyer who teaches at the Native Law Centre in Saskatoon. Henderson believes starlight tours grew out of police frustration at dealing with repeat offenders -- and they weren't always sinister. Indians avoided jail. Police avoided a paper headache.

Sajek Henderson"It's been common knowledge in the profession, especially the defence bar, that this is what happens. These starlight tours are not new and they've been going on for a very long time. But there's very few times we have to bring it into court because of course when they drop them off, there's no charges laid usually," Henderson says.

"They know it's a solution to going to court -- booking paperwork everything else they have to do. So they'll do the shortcut of dropping you off at the end of town or at a distance where you can walk back home and you know, cool off and collect yourself and let the alcohol wear off. Rather than just booking them and filling up the jail and taking all their time doing this stupid administrative paperwork. Well that becomes their normal thinking. But then they start crossing the line by getting a little more daring, or saying I'm going to make him take a longer walk or not paying enough attention to the weather and its changes on the prairies."
                That might answer some of your questions.

Comment

That is a big no no here and would also result in an officer being fired. It is against department policy and opens the door to a huge lawsuit should something happen to the "drunk" that is dropped off somewhere else. Without doubt that was a stupid thing to do.

Comment

We had guys here I could book without asking a single question or just pull last arrest and change location date and time and I was done in less the 15 minutes. Some guys never showed up and we never saw them again.

I know who the drunk is this guy misdhandled and he has been arrested at least 400 times. We know some have curled up and fallen asleep in dumpsters and died and wre hauled off to the dump (speculation).

One fell over dead in jail as did his son a fellow drunk.
                    We had one relesed from jail in the dead of winter and he walked down the street and threw a rock threw a window and waited for us to show up and walked over to car with his hands high in the air. "Tak Me Home Boys" he said.

FOP can only get a suspension reduced or firing reversed if the punishment is too severe but in this matter FIRING seems justified. I served with FOP handling these matters for YEARS.
                    Last edited by Bodie; 10-05-2005, 02:21 PM.

Comment

I used to read stories about NYPD guys {the bad ones} doing this BUt with dope dealers and dropping them off in another part of town and watching the dealer get his *** beat because he was now alone and in another part of town,obviously a warring factions area. It was higlighted in the Good Cop, Bad cop book about turd of all turds Michael DOWD, ex NYPD peice of detritus of all crap, good book though. I highly reccomemnd it...
                      I got nothing for now

Comment

I know of an incident where a county deputy took a drunk, beligerent white guy into our ghetto, made a few loud remarks about this guy being a racist and left him there. Needless to say, when we handled the aggravated battery case, a deputy got fired. Sometimes it sounds better in a war story than reality. Those days of shuffling problems off on other jurisdictions are pretty much history.
                        Jerry
                        "If all else fails, stop using all else!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mem
                          The practice is called 'breaching' and police dpartments have been doing it since the dawn of time. It's done normally to drunks. If you have to deal with the same person time and time again, or you want to just get them out of your hair for a while without having to spend the time to lodge them in cells, you arrest them and release them with a large walk home.

The problem is that it can be abused and there are major liability issues. In Saskatoon, Canada two officers dropped off and aboriginal youth in the freeze cold and he died on his walk back to town. If a person is drunk and unable to take care of themselves, you either find someone sober like a parent, or you take them to cells. The situation just can't be ignored, and dispatch has to be informed, even if only for officer safety purposes.

It's that simple now a days. If you don't and something happens, the officer maybe criminally and civilly libel.

This guy made a serious mistake, one that should have been dealt with through progressive discipline, not termination. I hope that this guy was a problem and this event was the straw that broke the camels back. If not, I feel sorry for the guys still working there.

Comment

Originally posted by cst.sb

The problem is that it can be abused and there are major liability issues. In Saskatoon, Canada two officers dropped off and aboriginal youth in the freeze cold and he died on his walk back to town.
                            That happened in 91 I think (sometime around there) and caused huge controversy. The officers were fired and they appealed it and sometime this month we'll find out if they get their jobs back. The officers were never proven to have been the ones who dropped him off. All they could prove was that youth were in their custody that night.

There was another incident where another aboriginal man was dropped off on the outskirts of the city in the winter (we don't have mild winters either), except he survived and reported it to police and two police officers were fired and served time in jail for it.

Comment

A County I worked for it was the official policy to remove vagrants from our County and take them across the river to our neighboring state, set them on the highway and explain what directions they were allowed to go..

When I lived in Florida they had a Legend (with names/dates attached) about a Stinky vagrant, one of the city patrol officers was fed up with the guy popped him in the cruiseer and went north to the county line met with a deputy from that county, asked the deputy to put him out at the next county north. Officer comes back to work three days later has a message to call Sheriff Office in Kentucky, Calls SO, and they say "hey we got this guy, he says he has been riding with cops for three days, what in the H**L do you want us to do with the guy"

Reportedly vagrant never showed back up in Florida...
                              Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5451 users online. 293 members and 5158 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X