300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientists discover 10th planet

I don't have a link, but I have it from a reliable source that a 10th planet, that orbits he sun every 288 years or so, has been discovered. Anyone hear of this?

Yes, I read this in the Dallas Morning News.
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

I wonder what they will call it?

Comment

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/10/07/1033538894512.html

this it?

Comment

I read somewhere that it was part of an asteroid belt, and not really a planet. As it turns out, Pluto is also part of this asteroid belt, and if astronomers knew what they know now about Plute, they would never have classified it as a planet.
          Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
          -Mark Twain

Comment

Great. Now when the kids get older and I have to help them with their science, I won't be able to. First they rename the dinosaurs, now there might be between 8-10 planets. Gotta love modern science.
            Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

This is OLD news. I learned of this over 20 years ago....in high school. For the past 20+ years, scientists have speculated that Pluto's eliptical orbit was due to the gravitational pull of a VERY LARGE planet acting upon it. This 'new' planet has often been referred to as 'Planet X'. Original, huh? [Wink]
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
              -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

So if there is a new, tenth planet, they're going to have to come up with a name for it, aren't they?

No reason why we can't lend our creative inspiration to the world of science.

My suggestions and reasonings:

Goofy - Pluto needs a friend. Plus, the name is rooted in ambiguity -- is Goofy a dog, or not? A planet, or not?

Planet Reebok - The logical progression from corporate sponsorship of stadiums and events.

Beatnik - It's, like, totally far out, man.

Go ahead an give it your best shot. Heck, they got away with 'Uranus'.
                Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

quote:
                  Originally posted by kirch:
                  Go ahead an give it your best shot. Heck, they got away with 'Uranus'.

Which is interesting..how DID they come up with that? This is how I see it:

2 Scientists hanging around at NASA suddenly find an un-named, large, mass.

"Wow, another planet!"

"you, idiot, thats not a planet!"

"I'm telling you, that's a planet"

"Oh, shove it up your *****!!!!"

It was then determined to be a planet, and when asked what they wanted it named, there seemed only one logical choice...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5639 users online. 362 members and 5277 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X