300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off-duty accident assistance ...

Well, being the caring person I am, and knowing I am both an Officer and an EMT, I decided to stop and help an accident victim whose car was stopped with a broken axle on the freeway, in the traffic lane. I stopped approx 75 feet from the vehicle with my hazard lights on, and just as I put the vehicle in "park" with my foot still on the brake ... WHAM .... from behind. So, my assistance leads to me possibly losing my truck. The frame is bent, and it looks real bad. I guess the upside to it is, well, there are a few.

1 - I wasn't on the motor (the wind itself would have knocked me over with the rain added ...well, that's why I had the truck.)

2 - I wasn't in the jeep.

3 - The other guy was actually in or very near his vehicle, and may have been seriously hurt or killed had this guy in the full-size Ford van hit the Honda broadside.

I guess in essence, I have to look at the fact I sacrificed my vehicle and myself to save another life? Or, am I just being optimistic?

ANYway, I'm a little sore (ankle and left shoulder / arm) but I'm alive .....

As for the truck? Well, my 97 Ram 4x4 is probably going to be totalled. THe frame is bent, the bed got pushed in to the rear of the extended cab, the passenger door doesn't close, neither does the little window behind the door, the exhaust system is tweeked, the transmission slips, and the alignment is off ... and that's just to start.

Well, I'm off to work now. This actually happened on my way in to the station for duty....
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Hey, Pal, don't sweat it. You did the right thing in my opinion. By the way you tell it, I absolutely believe that you probably saved that persons life. The fact that you stopped when you didn't HAVE to and that you put yourself, and your personal vehicle in jeapordy just adds to the "goodness" of your act. I'd say this makes you a little bit of hero. Now don't let it go to your head!

Comment

I'm so sorry. YOu were just trying to help and ended up a victim! But, you have your life. That's the most important thing. Hopefully, insurance will take care of the rest. Make sure you rest up. Often, other injuries don't show up right away.
      I saw a police officer pull over in the emergrncy lane to help two women whose car had broken down. This truck just about hit him. I couldn't look. It kept going and man, was that cop MAD. But, he didn't go after him.

Comment

We had an officer killed a few months ago doing the exact same thing. He was in an unmarked Lumina with deck lights. You can never be too careful. Count your blessings that you are alive. Why don't people pay attention to hazards while driving??

Comment

Sorry to hear about your truck. Glad you're okay.

Another reason to have been riding your bike today. With this weather you wouldn't have wanted to stop
          If you see me running try to keep up!

Comment

Glad to hear your ok. Truck can be replaced.
            Walk slow, Talk low, and Don't say Too Much.

Comment

Glad you are okay. If the insurance pays off, be sure to but something with more letters on the tailgate.

Comment

I8Criminals.

Glad to hear you are OK.

Are you going to or did you charge the driver of the p/u truck that hit you?

Barkley.

Comment

I would have loved to have seen that person's face when they found out they hit a police officer's car! Talk about a bad day! I'm just glad you are ok. I was ran into the back of a womans car.....with a police officer in his car right beside me. I felt so STUPID. But, he was really wonderful to me. I didn't cry til my husband got there. lol I just felt SO dumb. Luckily, no one was hurt. I had my seat belt on as she did. The next day tho, I was sore all over especially where my seat belt was.

Comment

I have lurked this board for a couple of months now, and I just came across that finally warranted my registration.

H8Crimindals, you are a true hero. You put your life in danger in order to save someone else's.

Just like that AC/DC song goes,
                    For those about to rock, we salute you!

Comment

But if you think about it, H8, if you hadn't stopped at that accident and then you got into work and were told in briefing that your department was working a fatal accident at that location where a stranded motorist had been struck and killed by another car you would be beside yourself with shoulda woulda couldas. You did what you are trained to do and you more than likely are responsible for that motorist still being alive today. So I say "Good Job" and get well soon!
                      This post has been rated PG-13 for your viewing pleasure.

Comment

Good job man, but you made one mistake!

After the collision you should have stayed in the truck until EMS arrived and then started hollering "NOBODY TOUCH ME UNTIL MY LAWYER GETS HERE!!!"

Comment

H8C, sounds like you were in the right place at the right time. You were stopping as a good samaritan, and wound up saving a life.

I hope the driver of the van gets everything he deserves. And has good insurance.

Wasn't it about time for a new truck?
                          Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks for all the encouragement ... I've been sitting here all day (well, doing my patrol work too ... yes, I actually still went to work *lol*) having some of my fellow workers tell me I shouldn't have stopped because of how this situation ended. Someone above (Legal Assistant I think)mentioned how I would feel had I found out the accident I didn't stop at ended in a fatality ... and that was one of the biggest things I thought about. The way my truck ended up, and where the van ended, had I not been there to "block the rush" the other car would have been creamed, and very probably the driver too.

BARKLEY -- As for citing the other driver ... that's another jurisdiction, and I'm not sure if CHP (Highway Patrol) cited him on-scene or not. He definitely was traveling WAY too fast for the conditions (rain and standing water as well as gusty winds.

BT -- glad to see you join, and thanks for the support. It's nice to see people support us for the things we have to deal with everyday ...

JKT -- time for a new truck? I was finally getting this one broken in! I'm still not sure if they are going to total it or not, but after re-examining the frame, and the damage, I think it will be. It's taken on a slightly modified "U" shape from the rear of the bed to the front bumper. No creases I can find, but, I'm sure they're there.

MITZI -- It's funny ... I can't remember exactly what the guys reaction was in the van ... but, I was in my uniform raingear with badge displayed, but no gun belt (that started on the seat and wound up on the floor.) I remember getting out of the truck, asking if he was okay, and after he said "yes" I started in with the ... well, too many explitives to post here. Needless to say, I was a little upset.

I'll try to post a few pictures through this link
                            http://www.geocities.com/cntrylivn/my_vehicles.html

thanks again for al the support, and now, I think I can rest a little better knowing that I most likely saved a life... plus, another 40 minutes or so, and I'll be sipping a nice hot chocolate with some butterscotch schnapps in it ....
                            I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather ... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Comment

After looking at the Pics of the truck, i would say you Definatly did the right thing. but then again even w/o seeing the truck i would say the same thing.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4924 users online. 273 members and 4651 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X