300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a loser......

Tonight (technically last night), I got stuck with a soup-to-nuts domestic (restraining order, arrest, etc.) right out of roll call, so by the time I actually got out on the street, it was almost 7:30pm. My sergeant has been getting on me to write more traffic citations, so I decided to write one written warning per shift for a few weeks.

Due to the onset of Fall, with dusk coming sooner & sooner, by the time I got done with the domestic, it was dark outside. Therefore, I had to violate my Cardinal Rule of Law Enforcement.....don't make any traffic stops after dark. I was sitting at a red light at a busy intersection when my light turned green. I started to go, then had to jam on my brakes to avoid getting T-boned by a blue Ford Five-Hundred (the replacement for the Taurus) that blew the dead-red light. As the car passed in front of me, I could hear the engine down-shift and accelerate, so the chase was on.

He had a pretty good head start on me, but I was able to keep him in sight as he turned onto a sidestreet off a major road. I was doing close to 60mph down this sidestreet, and the car was pulling ahead, so I would estimate he was doing 70+mph. As we kept going, I started to wonder if this person knew that the street we were on turned into an island-divided, double-wide street. Not only that, the road was stripped for new asphalt, so the traffic island curbs were probably 12 inches high.

Guess what? He didn't know. I suddenly saw the taillights drop as the car went from the regular street to the stripped street, followed by a tremendous crash. When I stopped in front of the island, the granite curbing was broken in two places, where the wheels of the car impacted. The island itself has automatic sprinklers installed, as they're trying to grow new grass, so the soil was very wet. There were two canals where the wheels, or what was left of them, carved into the wet grass. The car itself was probably 25 yards from the point of impact, belching steam, as what was left of the transmission came in contact with the mud. All four tires were blown, and the front passenger side wheel had actually come off. There was a Lake Superior of oil, transmission fluid, and anti-freeze around the car.

The car had plowed itself so far into the soil that I couldn't even open the driver's door. I had to smash the driver's window with my Mag-Lite, drag the operator out of the window, and face-plant him into the mud. My first backup was a K-9 unit, so the passenger lost any thoughts he might have had about running/resisting when the GSD was bouncing off the passenger door.

I thought for sure that the car was stolen, but not so. The driver was a 17 year-old kid from Cohasset, which is a mega-$$$$$ suburb south of Boston. It was Daddy's car, brand-new, with less than 2,000 miles on it. When I asked him why he ran, he replied "I didn't think you could catch me".

The best one-liner of the entire incident was delivered by a guy I work with, who took custody of the driver and drove him in for booking, since I had to do the crash report. All I charged him with was a red light violation, refusing to stop for the police, and operating to endanger, all either misdemeanors or civil infractions. When the cop took custody, I told him the list of charges. The other cop looked at the suspect and said "Kid, you're going to look like the biggest ******bag in the world in court on Monday, sitting next to drug dealers, junkies, and armed robbers".
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

You let that kid off too easy! Crazy story though. Kids these days...

Comment

We're not supposed to conduct traffic stops at night?

I'm work midnights..

Comment

Mega bucks neighborhood and dad only drove a FORD 500 ????
        Any contact with Daddy and if so how did he respond to his sons activities for the evening ?????

Comment

Ahhhh, the joys of being "young, dumb and full of...."

Comment

It would have been fun to have what was left of Dad's car towed home instead of impound and dropped in front of house from rollback with all it's yellow lights on followed by two police cars with all their lights on.

One Crusier could contain dirty filthy son who you could release to dad as all the uppity neighbors watched.

Comment

Wow, I wonder if they'll have to call CPS when the Dad gets through with the kid!!
              Blame it on the Trunk Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by airbrne74
                Wow, I wonder if they'll have to call CPS when the Dad gets through with the kid!!
                Doubt it. Stupidity, ignorance, and outright arrogance like that is usually handed down from one generation to the next. Doubt Delta and his comrades have seen the last of this little jackass.
                Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  It would have been fun to have what was left of Dad's car towed home instead of impound and dropped in front of house from rollback with all it's yellow lights on followed by two police cars with all their lights on.

One Crusier could contain dirty filthy son who you could release to dad as all the uppity neighbors watched.
                  Haha, that would have been pretty cool. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                    That's my personal rule. Your mileage may vary.

I'm work midnights.
                    Wait until after sunrise, when the normal people are out & about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                      Mega bucks neighborhood and dad only drove a FORD 500 ????
                      Any contact with Daddy and if so how did he respond to his sons activities for the evening ?????
                      Daddy came to bail him out. He was pretty irritated with junior, and this was before he saw what was left of his car.

Comment

F'in Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                          Therefore, I had to violate my Cardinal Rule of Law Enforcement.....don't make any traffic stops after dark.
                          The majority of our traffic cops come out after dark and run radar. You can't see an unmarked charcoal car in the dark as well and I can't make out a PC's taillights or headlights from a distance on the dark highway until it's too late. Mind you, I guess you probably do have a lot more "interesting" folks up there. So do you still follow that rule in the winter when it's completely dark by 6:30?

Comment

What a little jackass. Score one.
                            It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

I'm work midnights..
                              That's when I get the majority of my DUIs....I can't imagine NOT runnning traffic after drak.
                              That's nice....sign here.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2972 users online. 136 members and 2836 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X