300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Experence

I was thinking on joining the Millitary after college. How much will this help at the hiring process?
    "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
    -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Ne Obliviscaris - Do Not Forget

Originally posted by Bluntforcetraum
    I was thinking on joining the Millitary after college. How much will this help at the hiring process?
    First off you have your college behind you and that can be a plus at some departments. Why waste a few years and why not start the proccess now. If you have a steady work history and a clean background you will do fine, hopefully. But I would strongly urge you to just apply after you complete your college education.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Well, my background is kind of fuzzy, not particularly great and I have some unemployment gaps. Would Military experence overthrow that.
      "In these modern times, many men are wounded for not having weapons or knowledge of their use."
      -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

Your only 21, I can imagine your gaps are due to school and wouldn't be a problem anyway. If they are a problem, service as a military officer will more than cover them.

Well, my background is kind of fuzzy, not particularly great and I have some unemployment gaps. Would Military experence overthrow that.
        "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Thanks Alot. I noticed that you have Army exp. Do you have to climb really tall obsticle courses in basic?
          -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

Thanks Alot. I noticed that you have Army exp. Do you have to climb really tall obsticle courses in basic?
            Even with some military background, that will not excuse you from some wring doing in your past. What exactly did you do?
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I was in the Navy, no obstacle courses for me until I went to the academy. Are you afraid of heights or something?
              "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

I smoked pot a couple times in high school. more than 20
                I was wrote up for Reackless Driving once and it was lowered to careless in court
                It took me 5 years to get through high school because I was lazy and didn't do my work.

All of this has changed since. I don't hang out with anyone from Highschool and currently maintain a 3.0 in college
                -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

Yeah a little.
                  -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

Yea, your going to need to go in the military to have any shot. Call up the USMC and beg for an officer job but take an enlisment if you have to. As far as the heights go, get over it. It is the stop at the bottom that hurts the most

I smoked pot a couple times in high school. more than 20
                    I was wrote up for Reackless Driving once and it was lowered to careless in court
                    It took me 5 years to get through high school because I was lazy and didn't do my work.

All of this has changed since. I don't hang out with anyone from Highschool and currently maintain a 3.0 in college

Comment

Thanks alot for your help.
                      -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

Are my chances still pretty slim after the millitary or its hard to tell?
                        Thanks
                        -Achille Marozzo, 1536

Comment

Of course with you smoking pot you will have some difficulites going into the military as well. But thats your choice whether you tell them or not. And thats your choice whether to attempt to go into LE or not also. Only advantage you will have going into the military is putting more time between your dope days, etc. Although if you slip up in the Military, you may screw your chances of getting into LE as well.

Comment

Bluntforcetrauma another advantage you can gain from the military is veterans preference( I have 5 points for dessert storm). If you are qualified they have to give you preference since every department I know of takes federal money. There are higher preferences then 5 points but that usually involves being wounded or disable which could disqualify you physically from being a cop. You could also join the Army as an MP and work your way to Criminal Investigation Division.

Comment

Originally posted by allamerican
                              Bluntforcetrauma another advantage you can gain from the military is veterans preference( I have 5 points for dessert storm). If you are qualified they have to give you preference since every department I know of takes federal money. There are higher preferences then 5 points but that usually involves being wounded or disable which could disqualify you physically from being a cop. You could also join the Army as an MP and work your way to Criminal Investigation Division.
                              MP's are no longer being uses to enforce laws on Military bases. All bases have gone to Department of the Army police, compsed of prior Law Enforcement officers as well as some militay Police, so I would not suggest that, and some departments frown upon MP's anyway. To even work up to CID now, either you must be a e-5 or an 1811 series agent. And even now most CID's units are bringing in civilian law enforcement as well. Now the only way you will get veterans preference is if you serve in a war, etc. Not just for joining and going to Korea or Hawaii. You must either serve now in Afghan or Iraq.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4210 users online. 260 members and 3950 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X